The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29
    I'd appreciate recommendations for great rock-jazz fusion power trios.

Groups, albums, shows, recordings of a particular piece, whatever.

Drums, bass, guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

gateway trio

john abercrombie-dave holland- jack dejohnette

from their premier lp

cheers

User Info Menu

Power Tools - 'Strange Meeting'

(Ronald Shannon Jackson, Bill Frisell, Melvin Gibbs)

Best rock-jazz fusion power trios?-cover-jpg

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny Trio 99-00 and Trio Live with Bill Stewart and Larry Grenadier.

Tony Williams Lifetime Emergency album with John McLaughlin and Larry Young.

The Steve Morse band with bassist Jerry Peek (later Rod Morgenstern) and drummer Doug Morgan.

Allan Holdsworth had several trio groups I believe, Heavy Machinery for instance.

Also honorable mention to King Crimson's Red. It ain't exactly jazz, but it is heavy...

User Info Menu

Most of Oz Noy's albums are trio-based, even though there often are featured guest stars (from Mike Stern and Chick Corea to Eric Johnson and Joe Bonamassa). Completely trio-based are his two live cds, Oz Live (with different bass players and drummers) and Asian Twistz (with Etienne Mbappé e Dave Weckl). I recommend all his albums.
    Last edited by Fidelcaster; 01-15-2017 at 07:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Ben Monder generally plays live and records in the trio format.

User Info Menu

I think of Coryell's Fairyland album when I hear the words rock-jazz power fusion.
    I like the sound LC gets out of his Gibson on the first tune, great chops, too.
    I mentioned this LP to Bernard Purdie when I played in a band with him, and he said it was one of his fave LPs:

User Info Menu

Denny Jiosa - "Jiosa on the Edge"

A much "edgier" kind of playing than Jiosa has done in the past. The power trio works well with his style.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Eric Rowland; 01-27-2017 at 09:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Pat Martino Live at Ethel's Place. I don't know about a CD but there is a DVD available I think.

User Info Menu

You have to admit Trio of Doom takes the cake for best band name. And arguably best players ever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    You have to admit Trio of Doom takes the cake for best band name. And arguably best players ever.
    I think JM likes to call this one "the bay of gigs" LOL

User Info Menu

Allan Holdsworth:

User Info Menu

In the 90's Jonathan Kreisberg had the Jonathan Kreisberg Trio and he was playing like Holdsworth. They released one CD, and caught them live a few times. Then he went straight...and did alright with that too. Would love to hear him revisit the genre.
    Any Scott Henderson trio is murderous, as is Greg Howe with Victor Wooten and Dennis Chambers!
    I'll add Bill Connors with Tom Kennedy and Kim Plainfield to the mix.
    Last edited by jbear; 01-25-2017 at 05:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Interesting what some people think of as rock jazz power trios.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    Pat Martino Live at Ethel's Place. I don't know about a CD but there is a DVD available I think.

I dunno if there's anything rock about this, but it rules.

You can really see how fat that high E string is too, in the light.

User Info Menu

Rock-Jazz Power Trio? Probably the epitome. . .

GHS

Gambale, Hamm, Smith (Frank, Stu and Steve, respectively).

User Info Menu

Although I've been following Holdsworth's career for many years, his trios from the last years are not too interesting for me. Maybe the first ones just after recording The Sixteen men of Tain.

Scott Henderson is always doing hot stuff. The trio that formed with Jeff Berlin and Dennis Chambers was a good one.

The only thing I don't like about this "star trios" tendency is that long ago they gave up composition and now just play what they have been playing all their lifes.

Just a personal opinion.

User Info Menu

I'd suggest checking out Scott's latest, Vibe Station, and Greg Howe's, Extraction. Very strong compositions...also in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fusionshred
    Rock-Jazz Power Trio? Probably the epitome. . .

GHS

Gambale, Hamm, Smith (Frank, Stu and Steve, respectively).

Definitely freaky amazing. I sure always loved getting together a decent band to cover such in your face stuff for sure.
    Hard to find other musicians who want to do it though. From the 80s on, I have only been in Rock-Jazz Power Trio bands. So ingrained into me now, I don't think I can really do it any other way.

User Info Menu

I'll check it out. Henderson always deserves some time investment

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fidelcaster
    Most of Oz Noy's albums are trio-based, even though there often are featured guest stars (from Mike Stern and Chick Corea to Eric Johnson and Joe Bonamassa). Completely trio-based are his two live cds, Oz Live (with different bass players and drummers) and Asian Twistz (with Etienne Mbappé e Dave Weckl). I recommend all his albums.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Johansson, Johansson and Holdsworth : Heavy Machinery

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Interesting what some people think of as rock jazz power trios.
    Yes. I was going to intentionally warp this a little further and mention the pop group:

The Police- some of the Rhythmic Interplay and even the Chords are really cool on some tunes...
    I noticed when hearing them on the Radio recently.

The most disguised Fusion Group ever lol.

Surprisingly a lot of Jazz- Rock somehow managed to not have much of either one...
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 03-02-2017 at 09:34 PM.