The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Hej everybody!

What are your favorite records that feature the line-up of drums, bass, guitar + sax (or maybe trumpet instead of sax).

I know that Sonny Rollins plays in this line-up, but what are some of the best albums of his?
    And what other great albums do you know and love?

From 1930 - now

Thanks,
    H.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well to start, Scofield's albums with Lovano.

User Info Menu

Paul Desmond with Jim Hall or Ed Bickert.

Lage Lund with Will Vinson.

Or Jonathan Kreisberg with Will Vinson. (Check "Wave Upon Wave.")

User Info Menu

Metheny's 80/81 with Brecker/Redman, Haden, DeJohnette is the modern gold standard and model for so many others. His Unity Band with Chris Potter is a close second. Wish with the younger Redman plus Haden and Higgins and Pursuance with Kenny Garrett are right up there too. Plus one for the Bickert/Desmond and Rollins/Hall.

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell, Midnight Blue, though it is quintet with Stanley Turrentine on tenor saxophone, Major Holley on double bass, Bill English on drums and Ray Barretto on conga.

User Info Menu

Sonny Rollins the Bridge with Jim Hall and Turrentine's Up at Mintons live with GG.

User Info Menu

Ike Quebec's "blue and sentimental" (GG on guitar)

Tom Harrell with Jim Hall on "These Rooms"

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tipps, keep 'em coming!

Some of these I even knew (but they didn´t come to mind when I asked), e.g. "Midnight Blue".
    Others, like Turrentines "Up" I have never heard of but am very eager to check out!

Best,
    H.

ps: Oh, "Up" has a piano, though. Going to check it out anyways.
    Does anyone know if Grant Green ever recorded in the quartet format? All the albums I know (and I know a ton) have either organ, piano, or are trio albums ....
    Last edited by Helgo; 11-10-2016 at 05:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Can't believe I did not list Grant Green and Jimmy Forrest when I have transcribed three songs off that recording. I think it's called First Recording.

User Info Menu

Thanks a bunch, gggomez. I am really looking for albums without piano/keys.
    Cheers,
    H.

User Info Menu

Think Lester Young did some with Herb Ellis and Barnett Kessel maybe Kenny Burrell.

Not sure if there are keys on Work Out Hank Mobley and GG.

User Info Menu

Hal McKusick made several albums with Barry Galbraith, Milt Hinton and Osie Johnson.
    Some of them had arrangements by some of the great arrangers of the day such as Manny Albam, Geo. Russell, Jimmy Giuffre and Gil Evans.
    You can get their entire output on a double CD set on LoneHill Jazz called "Hal McKusick Quartet".

Steve Slagle had a quartet with Dave Stryker called the Stryker/Slagle Quartet. They made a few CDs.

Bob Brookmeyer made two LPs with that instrumentation- "The Dual Role of Bob Brookmeyer" with Jimmy Raney.
    The other was The Bob Brookmeyer Small Band with Jack Wilkins.

Tony Scott made a record called "Both Sides of Tony Scott". One side had Dick Garcia, the other side had Mundell Lowe. Garcia blows Lowe away.

The Los Angeles Jazz Quartet has two CDs out with Larry Koonse and Dave Manning on Tenor- "Look To the East" and
    "Conversation Piece".

Ed Bickert made a lot of records with a horn player(s) without piano, like "Ruby Braff With the Ed Bickert Trio"
    "The Jive Five" w/ two horn players, "Thinking about You" the Frank Rosolino Quartet, a Kenny Peplowski LP, and many others with Rick Wilkins, Frasier McPhereson who also used Oliver Gannon on guitar.

Bobby Jaspar made some LPs with that instrumentation, the best being "The Bobby Jaspar Quartet-Live at Ronnie Scott's" with Rene Thomas at his best. He also made a great album with Barry Galbraith on guitar.

There was a band called The New York Jazz Quartet which made a few LPs with Herbie Mann on flute and Tenor sax, and Joe Puma. Herbie Mann made a few albums with that instrumentation with Puma.

Howard Alden made a few albums with that instrumentation with horn players like Kenny Peplowski, Scott Hamilton and other Concord horn players.

Joe Cohn had a Quartet with a NYC sax player Harry Allen. Two Lps were The harry Allen Quartet and Guys and Dolls.
    Last edited by sgcim; 11-10-2016 at 03:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Grant Stewart - Around the Corner' (Peter Bernstein)

Ralph Lalama - 'Circle Line' (Peter Bernstein)

Grant Stewart - 'More Urban Tones' (Peter Bernstein)

Neal Miner - 'Sweet Tooth' (Peter Bernstein)

Jamale Davis - 'Workers' Comp' (Pasquale Grasso)

Luigi Grasso Quartet - 'Ca Marche' (Pasquale Grasso)

Kurt Rosenwinkel - 'The Next Step'

Adam Rogers and David Binney - 'RNB'

Clarence Penn - 'Dali in Cobble Hill' (Adam Rogers)

Chris Potter - 'Underground' (Wayne Krantz)

Tom Harrell - 'Something Gold, Something Blue' (Charles Altura)

Jan Garbarek - 'Paths, Prints' (Bill Frisell)

User Info Menu

wow, thanks a lot, guys!

User Info Menu

Substitute trombone for sax and you get one of my all-time favorite recordings, Bob Brookmeyer's "Live At Sandy's" a/k/a "Bob Brookmeyer Small Band." Young Mr. Jack Wilkins along with the monumental Michael Moore and Joe LaBarbara. THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is how you run a quartet, as shown by "You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To":

Hewing to the ts - g - b - d model is the one-off concert CD called "The Hudson Project" with Abercrombie, Bob Mintzer John Patitucci and Peter Erskine. Here's those players but not that album playing "Bass Desires". (Check out the hair on those guys -- you know this is a while ago!)

It's probably not where most JGF posters live, but check out John Abercrombie's late 80s CD "Night" with MBrecker, Jan Hammer and Jack DeJohnette. Here's "Believe You Me". Obviously, no bass but yes keys on this project:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Substitute trombone for sax and you get one of my all-time favorite recordings, Bob Brookmeyer's "Live At Sandy's" a/k/a "Bob Brookmeyer Small Band." Young Mr. Jack Wilkins along with the monumental Michael Moore and Joe LaBarbara. THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is how you run a quartet, as shown by "You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To":

Hewing to the ts - g - b - d model is the one-off concert CD called "The Hudson Project" with Abercrombie, Bob Mintzer John Patitucci and Peter Erskine. Here's those players but not that album playing "Bass Desires". (Check out the hair on those guys -- you know this is a while ago!)

It's probably not where most JGF posters live, but check out John Abercrombie's late 80s CD "Night" with MBrecker, Jan Hammer and Jack DeJohnette. Here's "Believe You Me". Obviously, no bass but yes keys on this project:

I got a call one night around the time of the "Live at Sandy's" album from one of JW's students at The NEC of Music, who had heard from Joe Maneri that I had a D'A, and he offered me $1,000 for my D'A, because 'he would be a better person to play that guitar than I would be...'
    Before telling him to f-ck off, I mentioned that I really dug the "Live at Sandy's" LP. He said that JW told him that album was a 'corny piece of crap, and that the stuff JW likes to play is much hipper, and more modern.'
    My reaction was WTF?, and I hung up.

User Info Menu

Lots of really great stuff has been mentioned. I have a love for modern post bop stuff, and it seems like the same certain folks seem to pop up in these guitar/horn formats without piano.

Bassist Dave Holland gets involved in so many great projects, his own Quartet album Extensions with Steve Coleman (alto) and Kevin Eubanks (guitar), on Joe Henderson's So Near, So Far, with Scofield. He did trumpeter Kenny Wheeler's Deer Wan Quintet album w/John Abercrombie and Jan Garbarek on sax...also Charles Lloyd's Voice in the Night, again w/Abercrombie.

I dig me some Charlie Hunter Trio w/Dave Ellis on tenor, which qualifies as a quartet...'cuz...you know why... Bing! Bing! Bing! is a fave...
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 11-12-2016 at 01:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Jim Hall with Art Farmer, not to be missed.

Doug Raney with Chet Baker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I got a call one night around the time of the "Live at Sandy's" album from one of JW's students at The NEC of Music, who had heard from Joe Maneri that I had a D'A, and he offered me $1,000 for my D'A, because 'he would be a better person to play that guitar than I would be...'
    Before telling him to f-ck off, I mentioned that I really dug the "Live at Sandy's" LP. He said that JW told him that album was a 'corny piece of crap, and that the stuff JW likes to play is much hipper, and more modern.'
    My reaction was WTF?, and I hung up.
    Ah, the joy of the hipper-than-thou crowd.

User Info Menu

Quite a few of Gilda Hekselmans stuff is with mark turner This Just In and his earlier stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I second this, and would add Scofield's work on Chris Potter'sUnspoken to the list
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Well to start, Scofield's albums with Lovano.

User Info Menu

Harry Allen 'Hits by Brits' with Joe Cohn. There is a trombone also on some tracks, but no piano.

User Info Menu

Spike Robinson 'Reminiscin' with Mundell Lowe. May not be easy to find though, it's on a small label called Capri.

User Info Menu

Not sax, but Dizzy Gillespie's Big 4 is excellent, Joe Pass on guitar.

User Info Menu

Doug Raney - Listen (with Bernt Rosengren on tenor sax).