Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

In this month's Guitar World:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sometimes he plays them on the gig too.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Sometimes he plays them on the gig too.

Lol after this one I saw a couple more (Paranoid etc) I didn't know those existed.

User Info Menu

Gahhahah that's simply wonderful

User Info Menu

Was he not taught by John McLaughlin in the mid 80's as they started getting big?
    He seems like a great bloke, humble, laid back, artistic would love to go hang out with him on his ranch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Was he not taught by John McLaughlin in the mid 80's as they started getting big?
    He seems like a great bloke, humble, laid back, artistic would love to go hang out with him on his ranch.
    I believe you're referring to Joe Satriani.

Quote Originally Posted by JPP65
    I believe you're referring to Joe Satriani.
    Hammett studied with Satriani, Satriani with Lennie Tristano.

User Info Menu

Cool, will be looking forward to Hammet's solo "Jazz Standards " album sometime pretty soon then?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    Hammett studied with Satriani, Satriani with Lennie Tristano.
    I found an interview where Satriani mentions his lessons with Tristano, and he says:

One part of the lessons I had with him (which were very difficult) was scat singing along with records. And he didn't care what records. I used to bring in Black Sabbath and Johnny Winter. And I used to bring in Charlie Parker and Wes Montgomery and stuff. And he didn't discriminate; he knew when guys were really playing.

The image of Lennie listening to Black Sabbath is kind of mind-blowing!

User Info Menu

The "Grease" metal version is insane

User Info Menu

I have got to share that since I worked chord progressions back into my practice routine, all of a sudden everything has become easier physically.

I decided to review some old Blues songs last night (Born Under a Bad Sign, I'm Tore Down, and The Thrill is Gone) and the bends have become noticeably easier! I think Hammett is on to something.

Nothing like having strong hands (and fingers), and it seems playing chords is one way to get them, especially on acoustics with high action since in my opinion, they are harder to play (at least harder for me to play).

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I found an interview where Satriani mentions his lessons with Tristano, and he says:

One part of the lessons I had with him (which were very difficult) was scat singing along with records. And he didn't care what records. I used to bring in Black Sabbath and Johnny Winter. And I used to bring in Charlie Parker and Wes Montgomery and stuff. And he didn't discriminate; he knew when guys were really playing.

The image of Lennie listening to Black Sabbath is kind of mind-blowing!
    It is

This is what Lennie heard in his head:

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I have got to share that since I worked chord progressions back into my practice routine, all of a sudden everything has become easier physically.

I decided to review some old Blues songs last night (Born Under a Bad Sign, I'm Tore Down, and The Thrill is Gone) and the bends have become noticeably easier! I think Hammett is on to something.

Nothing like having strong hands (and fingers), and it seems playing chords is one way to get them, especially on acoustics with high action since in my opinion, they are harder to play (at least harder for me to play).
    It's funny you mention this because I do something similar too even though I poked fun at Hammett.

A long time ago I picked up Mickey Baker's jazz guitar method and in the first couple of lessons there are exercises going up and down the neck switching between chords. After a month of doing that I noticed my dexterity was better so to this day I still do that (M7 to M6 and m7 to m6 up and down the neck) as part of my warm up routine.

User Info Menu

It is

This is what Lennie heard in his head:

haha, brilliant, actually I really enjoyed that jazzy guitar solo!

User Info Menu

It's funny you mention this because I do something similar too even though I poked fun at Hammett.

A long time ago I picked up Mickey Baker's jazz guitar method and in the first couple of lessons there are exercises going up and down the neck switching between chords. After a month of doing that I noticed my dexterity was better so to this day I still do that (M7 to M6 and m7 to m6 up and down the neck) as part of my warm up routine.
    Yeah, it's funny because I've been doing the same time.

As someone said once (?) if you want to improve your single note soloing work on chords.

I've been doing the drop2's in all positions and inversions trying to get them Pasquale slick (As if!). There are some nasty changes in there. Good warm up for sure.
    Last edited by christianm77; 11-06-2016 at 04:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Don't know if the rest are spoofs, but this one is at least a legitimate real live performance.

User Info Menu

Can't these millennials get their own culture?
    Remixing is OLD. It's GenX stuff but it actually started in film long ago.
    In these vids like Metallica they capture some real emotion from someone and do some clever editing..
    It's creepy.
    People actually like that?
    Sure, it takes some skill but it gives me the creeps.. It's void of any emotion. It makes me want to take Xanax. Not to hate on Xanax but I call it Xanax music.

I've always done what Hammet does. I've never done a jazz gig in my life but I practice it. The chords. A little bop. Been doing it since I was 16 yo.
    For me jazz and R&B are sort of related. I'm an oddball.
    Smooth jazz? No such thing. I call it R&B, Contemporary jazz, something like that. What is it with the 'j' word? It's like a religion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Can't these millennials get their own culture?
    Remixing is OLD. It's GenX stuff but it actually started in film long ago.
    In these vids like Metallica they capture some real emotion from someone and do some clever editing..
    It's creepy.
    People actually like that?
    Sure, it takes some skill but it gives me the creeps.. It's void of any emotion. It makes me want to take Xanax. Not to hate on Xanax but I call it Xanax music.

Yes yes, there! That what I was saying all along. I call it gimmicks. We live in the era of gimmicks. People spent tons of energy and 'creativity' to be ironic, and that seems what popular these days. Nobody invents or trying to create completely new stuff, i mean some do but thats not what gets most people attention on social media.

those videos are funny for 2 sec, and then its boring, meaningless stuff.

Friend of mine is touring the world with a band that takes modern pop hits and turns them into swing jazz covers. They pack places. The funniest thing they started it as a joke on youtube, nobody expected people would be so excitedto hear it that much. It would be funny, if it wasnt so sad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Yes yes, there! That what I was saying all along. I call it gimmicks. We live in the era of gimmicks. People spent tons of energy and 'creativity' to be ironic, and that seems what popular these days. Nobody invents or trying to create completely new stuff, i mean some do but thats not what gets most people attention on social media.

those videos are funny for 2 sec, and then its boring, meaningless stuff.

Friend of mine is touring the world with a band that takes modern pop hits and turns them into swing jazz covers. They pack places. The funniest thing they started it as a joke on youtube, nobody expected people would be so excitedto hear it that much. It would be funny, if it wasnt so sad.
    Is that 'Postmodern Jukebox' BTW? They do it about as well as it could possibly be done. It's not even ironic for the audience. It's like 'oh it's a song I know, done as a jazz, I love that song.'

That stuff is so popular. People are always asking us to do stuff like that. We don't because it actually takes a lot of work to do it well, and frankly, I've got things I'd rather be doing.

TBH everything is like this now. It's all about the past, or remixes of the past. Can't swim upstream completely though...

User Info Menu

Yeah, hip hop seems to be the only genre that generates some waves, and without looking back. Alas, I can't connect with this music. Unless done with heavy rock sounds ala Rage Against the Machine. Im not a black kid growing up in a da 'hood in 'Merica, and I cant pretend that I'm. I cant process English spoken so fast either. So Russian hip hop would be my best bet
    Last edited by Hep To The Jive; 11-07-2016 at 10:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Is that 'Postmodern Jukebox' BTW? They do it about as well as it could possibly be done. It's not even ironic for the audience. It's like 'oh it's a song I know, done as a jazz, I love that song.'

That stuff is so popular. People are always asking us to do stuff like that. We don't because it actually takes a lot of work to do it well, and frankly, I've got things I'd rather be doing.

TBH everything is like this now. It's all about the past, or remixes of the past. Can't swim upstream completely though...
    Right that's my point. It's all about the past. Maybe because nothing truly new and exciting going on, and it's all been done before? Or people just don't give a shit anymore? Either way, that's a fact, millenials don't have much in terms of their own in music.

And yes, I did mean PMJ. I know many of them, and played with a few. Great guys, love them, but even they would say the same thing. Still it's good to milk that cow, because hey, we all need work, get it while the getting is hot, haha.

User Info Menu

Maybe kids are listening to the music their parents grew up with. They want to go back to a time when they were born.
    That's pretty wack to me.
    I don't get this '80's' thing. A big money-maker now is disco. People midi up, put on an afro wig and do a travolta move.
    It's stupid. They do the worst disco.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Yeah, hip hop seems to be the only genre that generates some waves, and without looking back. Alas, I can't connect with this music. Unless done with heavy rock sounds ala Rage Against the Machine. Im not a black kid growing up in a da 'hood in 'Merica, and I cant pretend that I'm. I cant process English spoken so fast either. So Russian hip hop would be my best bet
    Everything revolves around lyrics for me. Off hand I can think of a dozen songs I lived. Genre doesn't matter. Sweet Dreams came out right when i wasn't sure what to do with my life. I was driving a cab and heard about very lucrative careers overseas in music. There was no internet. Many years later I learned it was their goodbye to the music business. It was going to be their last song. It was my beginning in music.
    It touched a nerve and the rest is history for Eurythmics.
    I was self-centered and only wanted to work clubs. No originals. people seemed to like my originals but i don't write lyrics. I was narrow-minded.
    Me me me.
    I mess with EDM now just in case.
    I've gone way off topic here.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 11-07-2016 at 11:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Maybe kids are listening to the music their parents grew up with. They want to go back to a time when they were born.
    That's pretty wack to me.
    I don't get this '80's' thing. A big money-maker now is disco. People midi up, put on an afro wig and do a travolta move.
    It's stupid. They do the worst disco.
    I teach rock band classes to kids. Some teenagers would come, and I ask them what songs they want to play, and I got this a lot

The music is so and so, but then I bothered to read the lyrics,

''Wish we could turn back time, to the good old days
    When our momma sang us to sleep but now we're stressed out''

Yo momma what?? Where is your F Y to the world, millennials? They say each new generations is crazier than before. haha, I don't think so, it all ended in the 90's.

And I stick to my Kill'em All, thank you very much.

"We’re scanning the scene in the city tonight
    We’re looking for you to start up a fight
    There’s an evil feeling in our brains
    But it’s nothing new, you know it drives us insane"