The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

[The OP meant to include a Dave Cliff CD but something went wrong. I'm adding a recent (2014) performance of Dave with the Guitar Collective.]

Attached Images Attached Images Dave Cliff-image-1-png 
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 09-12-2016 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Delete

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Had some lessons off Dave, great player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Deleted post
    Quote Originally Posted by 55bar
    Had some lessons off Dave, great player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, agreed I was trying to upload the CD for all to hear but failed miserably. It features
    Dave accompanied by Howard Alden, another brilliant player. I have known Dave for
    probably 30 years but not seen him for quite a few.
    When I used to visit my old Tutor Cedric West, I would find Dave, Ernie Cranenburgh,and
    Martin Taylor all playing Four guitar parts arranged by Cedric, wish I had been able to tape
    them. It;s a pity that some our best players are virtually unknown over the pond
    I think they would be pleasantly surprised to hear them . Mitch Dalton is another who comes
    to mind also.

User Info Menu

Alan

I attended a workshop earlier this year with Geoff Simkins, alto-sax, who has played and recorded with Dave Cliff in the past. Geoff told me that Dave currently lives in Dulwich, SE London, but apart from some teaching is not playing much these days as he has Parkinson's Disease.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Regards

Derek

Yep, agreed I was trying to upload the CD for all to hear but failed miserably. It features
    Dave accompanied by Howard Alden, another brilliant player. I have known Dave for
    probably 30 years but not seen him for quite a few.
    When I used to visit my old Tutor Cedric West, I would find Dave, Ernie Cranenburgh,and
    Martin Taylor all playing Four guitar parts arranged by Cedric, wish I had been able to tape
    them. It;s a pity that some our best players are virtually unknown over the pond
    I think they would be pleasantly surprised to hear them . Mitch Dalton is another who comes
    to mind also.

User Info Menu

DerekD,
    I am shocked to hear the news Dave has
    always been a lively guy, both my wife and I
    know him, it's very sad to hear this , one of
    our best players . I have CDs of Dave & Geoff
    who is also a tremendous talent. Thank you
    for telling me, it's the second bit of bad news
    today.

kind regards. Alan

User Info Menu

Yes it's very sad.

I had a lesson with him about 18 months ago and he still sounded great, though, playing with his thumb. But as I understand it you have good and bad days with Parkinson's. I wasn't sure how widely known that info about his illness was.

Needless to say, a total legend of jazz guitar, he lives up the road from me, as do another couple of greats - Ernie Cranenburgh and Dave Warren, who doesn't seem that well known, but has a bit of the Dave Cliffs about his playing IMO.

EDIT: Actually all three (I think) are in your video, certainly Dave Warren ... I don't really know Ernie, but I think that might be him...
    Last edited by christianm77; 09-12-2016 at 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Thanks Mark.
    for adding the video, I have only just learned today that Dave Cliff is suffering
    with Parkinson's Disease , as DerekD advised us, rather sad I'm afraid to say
    he is such a good player, a typical bluff Yorkshireman originally. He could hold
    his own with the best players, accompanying Van Morrison, with Georgie Fame
    and Dame Kiri te Kanawa, and with his long time buddy Ernie Cranenburgh ,
    and on the album depicted , Howard Alden. I hope others will join us in wishing
    him well and better health.

Cheers, Alan

User Info Menu

Here, here Alan - although I have to correct you there: Cliff's from Hexham, and raised in Newcastle. So, I think we can reasonably call him a Geordie.

My dad's from that neck of the woods (although not in fact a Geordie), so the second hand regional pride flows strong ;-)

Here's a great interview with the man detailing his early life, studies, career etc, in any case:

In any case: 'you've got to use your lugs' - proper Geordie Jazz advice courtesy of the master.
    Last edited by christianm77; 09-12-2016 at 05:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Christian,
    Thanks for the correction. I remember he studied music at Leeds along
    with Alan Barnes ,Alto & Baritone player, and was given to believe that
    he hailed from that part of our world, his accent had certainly
    changed over the years living and working in the south of England so
    we never heard utterings of "Why Aye, or when the boat comes in"
    he sounded like a Southener. Out of Dave's hearing ,the late Cedric
    West confided that he was a World Class player, like Jim Mullen,
    more than 20 years ago.
    You are also correct that Ernie Cranenburgh is in the video too, when
    the camera pans right you can just discern that it is him,another old
    friend of ours and a remarkable player.

Cheers, Alan
    Last edited by silverfoxx; 09-12-2016 at 06:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Christian,
    Thanks for the correction. I remember he studied music at Leeds along
    with Alan Barnes ,Alto & Baritone player, and was given to believe that
    he hailed from that part of our world, his accent had certainly
    changed over the years living and working in the south of England so
    we never heard utterings of "Why Aye, or when the boat comes in"
    he sounded like a Southener. Out of Dave's hearing ,the late Cedric
    West confided that he was a World Class player, like Jim Mullen,
    more than 20 years ago.
    You are also correct that Ernie Cranenburgh is in the video too, when
    the camera pans right you can just discern that it is him,another old
    friend of ours and a remarkable player.

Cheers, Alan
    The South London Jazz Guitar Troika then, in one video...

In my experience Dave Cliff is highly rated by all the musicians who know his playing. He's certainly on a par with Jim Mullen, which is high praise indeed, while playing very differently.

I really must get around to hearing Ernie play with the Big Beer Band at my local the Grape & Grain (legendary Real Ale pub if you don't know it, but sadly bought out by Wetherspoons so not about for much longer...) He's not been there when I've made it up, but he has the chair when he can do it.

Do you happen to know Shane Hill? I met the guy the other night through a friend I work with... Great player,.
    Last edited by christianm77; 09-12-2016 at 06:45 PM.

User Info Menu

For me, some of Dave's definitive early playing is to be found in his live recordings with Warne Marsh and Lee Konitz...

World Class? You bet! Here is more than holding his own with the heaviest company.

The solo on After You've Gone - WOW! Couldn't find an audio link, but here's a CD box set that I might have to order.

Warne Marsh: Two Not One - Storyville - Jazz Messengers
    Last edited by christianm77; 09-12-2016 at 06:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Do you happen to know Shane Hill? I met the guy the other night through a friend I work with... Great player,.
    I know Shane quite well through a mutual friend. I jammed with him a few years ago. He was very accommodating given my playing was well below his level!

User Info Menu

sorry to say i was not familiar with dave cliff..but my heart goes out to any guitarist who's struggling with carrying on what he loves best...can't think of much worse...

i do know mike carr (ians carrs brother)..so here's an organ trio with my "latest discovery" dave cliff

all the best to him

cheers

User Info Menu

If I can do a little to help popularise Jim Mullen and Dave's work with the US forum guys here, I'm a happy man.... Those guys are up there....
    Last edited by christianm77; 09-12-2016 at 09:01 PM.

User Info Menu

+ 1 to that Christian, your quest in popularising some of our excellent players
    is commendable, and pleased to see that neatomic is already on the case.
    I am not familiar with Shane Hill but will follow that up. Due to domestic
    circumstances I regret that I am unable to get to Jazz gigs these days. I
    do miss it, but more pressing matters take priority.
    I am very glad of this Forum for these reasons.

Alan

User Info Menu

Dave is of course great in this clip but check out Mike Carr's pedal bass solo at the end!

User Info Menu

I used to regularly attend the Dick Morrisey-Jim Mullen band gigs at the Half Moon in Putney in the late 70s.

During the 80s I lived in Sutton, Surrey and there was an organisation called the South London Jazz Federation, a couple of guys, who used to organise jazz sessions at a local pub in Carshalton ,Surrey on Sunday lunchtimes. Both Dave Cliff and Jim Mullen were occasional guests playing with the resident band, the Martin Blackwell Trio.

Other guitarist guests were John Etheridge and Terry Smith.

Derek

User Info Menu

It's a small world Derek, I lived in Wallington Surrey in
    the mid 60's but moved back to Essex later. I remember
    Terry Smith used to play a Gibson Es 330 early on , John
    Etheridge another v good player, sponsored by Yamaha.
    I think the last time I visited the Half Moon in Putney was
    in the 80's when Tal Farlow was there, along with just about
    every guitarist you could name , to see him.

Alan

User Info Menu

I picked this CD up recently in a record shop in Guildford - excellent stuff, especially the duo tracks with Dave and Geoff Simkins. Dave's comping is as superb as his solos.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sipping-at-.../dp/B000024IOZ

User Info Menu

grahambop,
    Yes thats a good CD, if you haven't already got Dave's
    Other two , Dave Cliff & Friends ( with Howard Alden)
    and Dave & Geoff Simpkins playing Tadd Dameron,
    they are both worth hearing also.

Cheers. , Alan

User Info Menu

I bought that when it came out, and I agree. I have been listening to it recently particularly for the comping.

A more recent purchase is this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of the tracks, Flossie Lou, was a tune that Geoff used in his workshop. The solo break where Geoff and Dave interplay with no backing is excellent.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I picked this CD up recently in a record shop in Guildford - excellent stuff, especially the duo tracks with Dave and Geoff Simkins. Dave's comping is as superb as his solos.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sipping-at-.../dp/B000024IOZ

User Info Menu

dave going for that Wes sound and playing...Top man...terry smith hows he doing ...great nights at the Plough Stockwell..where the cream of english talent played ...a few pints small audience and some Top jazz playing still resonating in my ears..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxss
    dave going for that Wes sound and playing...Top man...terry smith hows he doing ...great nights at the Plough Stockwell..where the cream of english talent played ...a few pints small audience and some Top jazz playing still resonating in my ears..
    I used to see Terry Smith a lot in Croydon, West Wickham etc, fantastic player. I'm not sure how active he is now, haven't seen him for ages. But I just googled and he was at this year's Huddersfield jazz festival, so he must still be playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Dave is of course great in this clip but check out Mike Carr's pedal bass solo at the end!

that's a pretty wild guitar dave c is playin in that clip..single humbucker canary yellow strat body with tele neck!

mike carrs got thelonious monk dancing feet!!..he's super underrated triple threat b-3, piano and vibes

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    that's a pretty wild guitar dave c is playin in that clip..single humbucker canary yellow strat body with tele neck!

mike carrs got thelonious monk dancing feet!!..he's super underrated triple threat b-3, piano and vibes

cheers
    Yeah he still plays that axe.

I mean you could play a tele with a strat neck, but that would be INSANE.