The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Ouch! Feel bad for the late Emily Remler. Having an acute set of ears as she did it must have been extra painful to listen to this. Astrid always sang a little flat but this is so exceptionally off the mark it's into "Jonathan and Darlene" territory. Maybe she had a head cold or something? Haven't really heard Emily in this "fusion-like" context before.
    Last edited by AndyV; 08-19-2016 at 02:27 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"Stud always sang a little flat but this is exceptionally off the mark it's into "Jonathan and Darlene" territory"

now that's funny!
    I dig her, but yeah she's always sounded a little flat.

speaking of J & D, never heard this one before!

That's a J&D classic! Jo Stafford had such perfect pitch control that the technical mastery to sing like Darlene is under appreciated, I think.

And as for Astrid, she sounds charming on her earliest recordings - especially "Girl from Ipanema." But here? Yowza!
    Last edited by AndyV; 08-19-2016 at 02:26 PM.

User Info Menu

I wonder how many people these days have even heard of them let alone know it's a gag by one of my very favorite singers, the late Jo Stafford and her husband, the equally great Paul Weston.

hadn't heard that Bee Gees cover before, wasn't aware that they were still recording in the 1970's

Unless you're of a certain age, I think the Weston's act is completely off the radar - or if on the radar, could be mistaken for reality. Jo stafford's one of my all-time favorites too ... beautiful phrasing, timbre and perfect intonation.

User Info Menu

Not only is Astrid out of tune, but what an insipid and tedious tune. Jeez. That had to be painful for all concerned.

User Info Menu

Let's face it, apart from Emily's playing, the whole whole thing stinks. Remler gets pretty down and dirty for, ahem, a lady!

User Info Menu

what I learned from reading about Stan Getz..Astrud was not a singer..I forget the fine details on how they got her to record "Girl.." tune but that was the beginning and end of her singing career as the story about Getz reported..the Getz solo saved that tune..take that out of it..and the song nose dives fast...
    Last edited by wolflen; 08-20-2016 at 02:54 PM.

in March of 1963, João Gilberto and AC Jobim were in NY making a record with Getz. Astrud Gilberto was João's wife and at the time, didn't work outside the home. The idea of cutting a verse on “Ipanema” in English came up, and Astrud was the only one of the Brazilians who spoke more than phrasebook English. Getz thought she sounded charming. Joao was taken aback - he was the professional singer, not his wife, but he was convinced and history made.

Getz later callously seduced Astrid which broke up the Gilberto's marriage. She toured as part of Getz's quartet with Gary Burton on vibes. The album Getz Au Go Go is pretty good. She always sang flat from the very start but the Brazilian wave was still cresting so she remained popular with listeners. I disagree, Wolflen, "Ipanema" is musically a strong song (the bridge's upward modluations are unusual), IMHO, and with or without Getz would appeal to musicians but it's definitely an icon of its era and the most recorded song after the Beatles "Yesterday."

And yeah, the tune fun the clip above does suck!
    Last edited by AndyV; 08-20-2016 at 08:10 PM.

Every time I see a clip of Emily Remler I can't help but feeling sad. She was such a soulful and beautiful player who left us way too soon.

User Info Menu

Funny I was just watching this the other day. Cringed all the way through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Emily's was a sad story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV

Ouch! Feel bad for the late Emily Remler. Having an acute set of ears as she did it must have been extra painful to listen to this. Astrid always sang a little flat but this is so exceptionally off the mark it's into "Jonathan and Darlene" territory. Maybe she had a head cold or something? Haven't really heard Emily in this "fusion-like" context before.
    Solo was very good in fusion style mode...what is a problem?Great playing...:-)
    Last edited by kris; 08-24-2016 at 10:28 AM.

User Info Menu

I like Astrud and I thought that was her schtick. I also thought it was jazz and jazz singers sang flat deliberately or ahead of the beat or behind the beat or whatever. Because, you know, it is jazz. No boundaries.

The song was naff but totally par for course in the early 80s.

I love all these guys who comment on Youtube going, out of tune, out of tune. The implication is that they have perfect pitch because they can hear it and perfect pitch is like some sort of musical gift...like, a Mensa membership card that keeps dropping out of one's pocket. No point having it when nobody knows it.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 08-21-2016 at 12:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I like Astrud and I thought that was her schtick. I also thought it was jazz and jazz singers sang flat deliberately or ahead of the beat or behind the beat or whatever. Because, you know, it is jazz. No boundaries.

The song was naff but totally par for course in the early 80s.

I love all these guys who comment on Youtube going, out of tune, out of tune. The implication is that they have perfect pitch because they can hear it and perfect pitch is like some sort of musical gift...like, a Mensa membership card that keeps dropping out of one's pocket. No point having it when nobody knows it.
    I hear ya jabs!...

I think

User Info Menu

It's a well known fact that the hotter you look, the more you can get away with singing out of tune...

User Info Menu

I think she's singing in the key of Q#

User Info Menu

At least when she sang with Getz/Gilberto her voice fit the songs. I've heard it described as a child's voice--the lack of vibrato was quite striking for the time. BTW, don't forget the word Desafinado means "slightly out of tune"...

She was also very easy on the eyes...

User Info Menu

Reminds me of a singer I worked with, but I can't remember the name....

...oh that's right, all but one!

User Info Menu

This is the problem with modern recording and connectivity/access. You do one song out of tune and people all over the world get to come along and point it out to you from then on... LOL. Sigh.

I didn't like the song from that first video, at all.

Ouch!

That BeeGees cover is VERY, VERY bad. This track is a (bad) joke, right? I'm not familiar w/ this artist, but I'm guessing these are like...outtakes or something. If these are serious and legit tracks, I'm hopeful that this singer got much better with time.

My web friend Charlie McDonald posted this recently about the lack of vibrato and flatness/sharpness of Bossa signing in general:

"Concerning pitch, one Utube poster said "
    Pues no desafina para nada! No entendeis nada de bossa"
    (Well she's not out of tune for nothing! You understand nothing of bossa.)"

I don't know ... Rosa Passos and Joao Gilberto sound pretty in tune to me.

Wags ... clearly you missed the joke! Read above and/or Google Jo Stafford and Paul Weston!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    My web friend Charlie McDonald posted this recently about the lack of vibrato and flatness/sharpness of Bossa signing in general:

"Concerning pitch, one Utube poster said "
    Pues no desafina para nada! No entendeis nada de bossa"
    (Well she's not out of tune for nothing! You understand nothing of bossa.)"

I don't know ... Rosa Passos and Joao Gilberto sound pretty in tune to me.

Wags ... clearly you missed the joke! Read above and/or Google Jo Stafford and Paul Weston!
    I suppose that you're right and I missed the joke, AndyV. I guess I'll check into it later today or tomorrow (way past my bedtime). I really don't know anything about bossa nova or the styles and quirk of these artists.

Goodnight/morning, all!