The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Funny video!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Heh. Looks like they spent about $15 on that video.

(Now, of course, it would have been shot on an iPhone for free.)

User Info Menu

Awesome tune. Especially the live version on Pick Hits Live

User Info Menu

To think there was a time where they did promo videos for jazz tunes. Ok, so it's a crap video but I'm still impressed that the record label felt there would be an audience for a video.

User Info Menu

Great tune and great solo of John.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    To think there was a time where they did promo videos for jazz tunes. Ok, so it's a crap video but I'm still impressed that the record label felt there would be an audience for a video.
    Do we know that a label had anything to do with this? I mean, it really does look like it was shot in about an hour with a handicam.

User Info Menu

Had to watch it with the sound down--is that Mike and the Mechanics??

See kids, the 80's weren't SO horrible, after all (feeling nostalgic)...

User Info Menu

Still Warm...my favorite Sco!

User Info Menu

Jazz fusion production music videos from the 80's. The cheese decade. Here's some more to pay a tribute...

User Info Menu

True, it could be an independent production. It's bad enough. I just assumed it was a label decision. To my knowledge doing videos without label support wasn't very common at the time.

User Info Menu

Loved the Sco video - better than the shopping channel - I saw many things I wanted to buy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    True, it could be an independent production. It's bad enough. I just assumed it was a label decision. To my knowledge doing videos without label support wasn't very common at the time.
    Yeah, probably. But if they had label support, it was probably along the lines of, "Here's ten bucks. Go make a video."

User Info Menu

Burnin'.....

User Info Menu

I love it when he falls over at the end.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Funny video!
    Did he get pickpocketed at 3:19? Ha!
    Last edited by RyanM; 11-08-2016 at 07:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Attachment 34578

Really Scofield language...can find some interval lines in his solos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Roboto]Did he get pickpocketed at ...
    ... 3:20?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Attachment 34578

Really Scofield language...can find some interval lines in his solos.
    Started working on it last night. It's mostly around a Gminor triad. Lots of string skipping.

User Info Menu

Back in the day, VH1 had a jazz segment and for many it was their shot at a wider audience. Yeah, this was with the support of his label at the time, I think it was Grammavision. I remember how incongruous these things were (there were other videos but I can't find them anywhere) and he thought they were funny. Always the man to take the music business with a grain of salt and still do his own thing like noone else, this video really is a time capsule. But Canal Street still is Canal Street.
    This video is a promotional for the Canal Street Chamber of Commerce as much as anything else-Ha ha!

David

User Info Menu

I find this particular tune rather ... narrow sounding, for the lack of better expression.

As far as for the clip, I really liked it, except for some obviously staged and badly acted stuff. As for the cost and budget ....

1. ... maybe they were given a budget and tried to spend as little as possible on actual filming, so they could steal more on petty cash, props, food and whatever they could imagine.

2. Also, if company is producing something, it must have costs, ie. receive debit invoices, thise have to be for actual jobs, like filming in exterior, on streets of NYC, if they filmed there, they must have a proof in a form of debit invouce from the city of NYC, and so on. So in the end it may be much more expensive than what an uneducated outsider might presume.

Sent from VladanMovies @ YouTube
    Last edited by Vladan; 08-10-2016 at 11:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    I find this particular tune rather ... narrow sounding, for the lack of better expression.
    I think that's because it all hovers around G. There's not much in the way of movement.

Personally, I like it. It sounds like Sco is using the guitar like a drumset. He's got 4 or 5 pitches, and then it's all about the rhythm.