The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Oh my gosh, I found this on't YooToob..

I don't know whether anyone else has posted this up but here goes.

There is very little video footage of Mr Bickert and all though this digital clip has been lifted from VHS the guitar tone is still there!

Oh deep joy

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Some more, tunes only

User Info Menu

wow, does he drag the guitar on the road on the way to gigs, or chew on it between sets?

User Info Menu

Ed Bickert BET jazz programme 40 minutes!!-ed-jpg Something to chew on...Ed..

User Info Menu

I've never seen such a beat-up guitar. Sounds great, though, and it makes a change from ultra-polished archtops. I confess to not having listened to Ed Bickert before - sounds like I've been missing out. Any suggestions for albums?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I've never seen such a beat-up guitar. Sounds great, though, and it makes a change from ultra-polished archtops. I confess to not having listened to Ed Bickert before - sounds like I've been missing out. Any suggestions for albums?
    Well a good one I got recently is Paul Desmond's 'Pure Desmond'. Ed comps beautifully throughout and Paul lets him have generous solo space. And the two of them sound perfect together.

User Info Menu

rob- hard to beat bickert with his long time bassist don thompson..in duo setting..from '79

Ed Bickert & Don Thompson- At the Garden Party

here's an example

cheers

User Info Menu

Unfortunately that video is not playable in the UK, but I like the combination.

Paul Desmond is one of my heroes, so that also sounds like a great combo.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

ed bickert multi-part video bio/interview by his son jeff

good watch-

https://vimeo.com/user25681287/videos

cheers

User Info Menu

Ed Bickert & Don Thompson- At the Garden Party (the cover at least)
    Ed Bickert BET jazz programme 40 minutes!!-00138f29_medium-jpeg

cheers

User Info Menu

Here's a track from 'Pure Desmond' - I'm Old Fashioned:

User Info Menu

Superb tone and playing. The guitarist is pretty good too Seriously, that's excellent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Superb tone and playing. The guitarist is pretty good too Seriously, that's excellent.
    Yeah, the whole album is like that. Just perfect.

User Info Menu

with the trend toward new relic'ed guitars, the ed bickert model would be a fender relic team dream!!!

like 5 minutes with the hound of the baskervilles! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Here's a track from 'Pure Desmond' - I'm Old Fashioned:

had that lp as a kid.. (grew up in a brubeck listening household)...one of the best later desmond recordings..and on controversial cti (creed taylor) label!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 07-30-2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: cl-

User Info Menu

Been listening to a lot of Bickert with Desmond recently. Magic chords.

User Info Menu

desmond certainly was graced by good guitarists..jim hall!!..in fact it was hall who recommended bickert

check this..hall on bickert

cheers

ps- there are those here whose fave jim hall recordings are with ed bickerts rhythm section of don thompson and terry clarke
    Last edited by neatomic; 07-30-2016 at 06:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Great find! I hadn't known about this. Thank you, Jazzbow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    rob- hard to beat bickert with his long time bassist don thompson..in duo setting..from '79

Ed Bickert & Don Thompson- At the Garden Party

here's an example

cheers
    This album + anything Ed did with Desmond are must hears in my book.

I also like "out of the past," but for some reason, I don't enjoy his tone on that record as much. Playing more than makes up for it, though.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Okay, I'm a convert! Great tone, lyrical playing, great comping, tasteful lines...what's not to like?

User Info Menu

Ed Bickert Trio - "Out of the Past" cd is superb.

Here's a tune from that release:

User Info Menu

IIRC, "Out Of The Past" sat around for a few years without being released- because Ed didn't feel he played very well! He eventually changed his mind. Whew! That's a great record.

There is another I got recently with Bob Brookmeyer and a bassist (Murley?) that is very good. I think it's called "Trio Sketches." Or that might be the title of another one I just got, also a trio record.

User Info Menu

Bickert said he learned his harmonies from listening to big band radio broadcasts. His changes on "Come Rain Or Come Shine" are truly masterful. He also utilized hybrid picking to get that "Rhodes" attack you can hear so well on Pure Desmond. Bassist Don Thompson, another overlooked monster, recorded almost every gig he did at Bourbon St. in Toronto, including the Desmond gigs with Bickert, and the Jim Hall Trio run that was finally released in toto. I first heard the section of Thompson and Terry Clark on drums with John Handy many years ago, and they did one record, and reprised that only a couple of years ago, with Jerry Hahn on guitar.