The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 79

User Info Menu

another great and often overlooked 'soul jazz' player was tenorman Rusty Bryant out of Columbus, Ohio.
    here's a cut w/Rusty, Wilbert Longmire, guitar and Muhammed again, but w/obscure organist Bill Mason.
    check out the organ solo here, one of the best!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

destinytot Guest

User Info Menu

yet another session w/the Mod Squad, this time led by the great Sonny Stitt.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    ... Wilbert Longmire...
    Cor Blimey, Charlie - there's a name that takes me back forty years!

As commented on the last video I made and posted yesterday, it's obvious to me just where and how I picked up what musical language I've 'acquired' (rather than 'learned'). Joining dots - and dispelling myths...

destinytot Guest
    Billy Butler:

destinytot Guest
    "Waiter, make mine pretty (melody and changes)..." And gimme a strong beat - but never faster than a brisk walking pace:

Don't forget the precursor to all of this: the first albums by Ray Charles. The small group all instrumental jazz albums. Cannonball and Horace Silver both reference these albums for their influence for "soul jazz," a term first used for the Cannonball album Live in San Francisco, released only a year after those Ray Charles albums. On guitar? Kenny Burrell. They were released or recorded between 1956 and 1959. The Cannonball album came out in 1959.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

destinytot Guest
    Ray Charles - on alto saxophone!

User Info Menu

"soul jazz" or what they're calling "acid jazz" these days
    maybe I mistake the terms but to me 'acid jazz' is something really different from what I would call 'soul - jazz

I always thought that acid jazz came out of soul jazz. They way Grant Green was called the father of acid jazz guitar, but came out of the soul jazz scene.

destinytot Guest
    This is what the term 'acid jazz' says to me:
    https://tune.pk/video/1240901/the-fa...ub-jeremy-kwee

User Info Menu

I always thought that acid jazz came out of soul jazz. They way Grant Green was called the father of acid jazz guitar, but came out of the soul jazz scene.
    maybe you're right.. but I see the outcome... I mean I saw groups that were called 'acid jazz'... or I was given Miles 'Doo - bop' and was told: this is acid jazz... this is more or less where my notion comes from..
    More post-funk, post-disco rythm structure, even maybe post-hip-hop...

... and they are actually acid.. they sound like acid

And on the other hand I feel 'soul' as more freely grooving rythms... more swinging feel.. more gospel-rooted...

After all... How can the soul be acid?)

User Info Menu

a lot of folks were lumping a lot of styles together and calling them acid jazz [whatever that means]

even Prestige re-released a series of cd's dedicated to soul jazz, w/artists like Boogaloo Jones, Charles Kynard, Sonny Stitt, Rusty Bryand, Melvin Sparks, etc.
    but they called it the "legends of acid jazz"

great series of cd's btw, but now out of print.
    still available here and there though...

Wikipedia says this, not the best source, but I don't completely agree:

"Acid jazz, also known as club jazz, is a musical genre that combines elements of jazz, soul, funk and disco.[1] Acid jazz originated in the London club scene of the mid-1980s in the rare groove movement and spread to the US, Japan, Eastern Europe and Brazil."

destinytot Guest
    Funny - I remember dancing to 'rare grooves' and 'acid jazz' at a club after gigs back in the '90s.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    a lot of folks were lumping a lot of styles together and calling them acid jazz [whatever that means]

even Prestige re-released a series of cd's dedicated to soul jazz, w/artists like Boogaloo Jones, Charles Kynard, Sonny Stitt, Rusty Bryand, Melvin Sparks, etc.
    but they called it the "legends of acid jazz"

great series of cd's btw, but now out of print.
    still available here and there though...
    My closest friend (now passed away) was a huge fan of that sound/style ,and he got to know a lot of artists and producers personally (Dr Lonnie Smith, Reuben Wilson, Grant Green Jr, Blue Johnson).

destinytot Guest
    David T Walker:

User Info Menu

Wikipedia says this, not the best source, but I don't completely agree:

"Acid jazz, also known as club jazz, is a musical genre that combines elements of jazz, soul, funk and disco.[1] Acid jazz originated in the London club scene of the mid-1980s in the rare groove movement and spread to the US, Japan, Eastern Europe and Brazil."
    well... I once edited Wikipedia

no problem in using ecyclopidic definition ... they can give some useful info... but in general - especially in concern of music or any arts - for me it's much more interesting what certain person puts in this or that term...

User Info Menu

I think it also depends on country...

destinytot Guest
    Love Bacharach's Windows of the World. Second clip is David T Walker's 'soulful' instrumental (my idea of Urban Renewal):

User Info Menu

I like the last clip... just like this ... even without playback

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    "Hello. My name is Lester Burnham..."

well... I once edited Wikipedia

no problem in using ecyclopidic definition ... they can give some useful info... but in general - especially in concern of music or any arts - for me it's much more interesting what certain person puts in this or that term...
    Yeah. I mean, soul music + jazz music = soul jazz to me.

destinytot Guest
    Don't look too closely... (last one...)

User Info Menu

destiny..nice to see the david t walker love..great player!!!..what a right hand technique..beautiful

guys like him and cornell dupree...relatively unknown, but on tons of stuff.. and both soulful players with unique/great technique

cheers