The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Talent is simply the ability to perform at the highest level, whether that be sports, music, software design, or anything. That does not mean there doesn't need to be determination to get to that point, but as several have already touched on that determination is more fun than work because the natural ability to progress in that area is very high. I can practice 10 hours each day, but as I don't have natural talent I may get good, but will never get anywhere near the level of a Jimmy Bruno or Frank Vignola. We all know Wes Montgomery practiced, because that is how he said he learned to play with his thumb as it generated less volume and allowed him to play at night without disturbing the family. His natural talent then allowed him to achieve the highest level of proficiency with that practice.

The only person I know of in the modern era that is rumored to have just been able to play is Jay Greenberg, a classical savant. According to a 60 Minutes piece several years ago at the age of 2 he drew a picture of an instrument that, when taken to a music store, was deemed to be a cello. He was give a kids-sized cello and immediately began to play. At the age of about 7 he was composing music for instruments he didn't even know the name of. He had some ability to naturally understand the range of each instrument, and was able to correctly apply that ability in writing music. He is able to play those instruments as well. That is not talent, it is something much different. There are others that can also play many instruments very well, but in most cases that is probably the result of natural talent allowing them to achieve a high level of performance in a significantly shorter amount of time, but the determination to get to that level was still there, as was the practice.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

talent is the ability to want it incredibly badly

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    A dear friend of mine used to say "Talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God".
    @citizen74. I was told that by a nun in Catholic elementary school and never forgot it! I tell my kids all the time that talent is static. You got to get off the couch! [But I'm still pretty convinced very few people can practice their way to Wes, Tiger Woods or Mia Hamm's level. So I'm not completely discounting talent!]. Thanks for sharing!