The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

There have been parts of this, but here's the full concert:

Great chance to see JS' picking- any comments as to whether he uses his forearm and/or wrist?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool

I'll have to try and fire this one up when I get home tonight

User Info Menu

started out w/Eddie Lang and ended w/Johnny Smith.
    Der Bingle obviously knew a good guitar player when he heard one.

User Info Menu

and had les paul on his radio show fairly often..and flipped over george barnes!..heard a bing radio show out of chicago and he was talking up barnes like crazy..he supposedly wanted barnes in his road band..but barnes turned him down

that opening cut ^ with johnny smith is the closest you'll ever get to hearing johnny playin to a boogaloo beat!! haha...

cheers

User Info Menu

I'm at work at the moment but I am watching this first thing when I get home. There's not a whole lot of footage of Johnny Smith around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    I'm at work at the moment but I am watching this first thing when I get home. There's not a whole lot of footage of Johnny Smith around.
    not to derail the thread but if you haven't seen it you should check out this interview with him its great insight into his playing

User Info Menu

Fun to hear Johnny live for an extended set, but musically playing what is essentially an endless medley would not be my cup of tea. But jeez- Jake Hanna, George Duvivier and Johnny Smith. What an impeccable trio of musicians (I could do without Joey Bushkin just to be able to hear Johnny more clearly).

User Info Menu

agree...jake hanna was herb ellis' fave drummer too..duvivier always stellar on so many great recordings..and johnny s..well

cheers

User Info Menu

What little I was able to listen to sounds great--super tasteful player with great tone.

Another one of my role models...

User Info Menu

Jeff that's a good point. I watched the whole thing and one of the takeaways was that he never got in the way of the singer or the other musicians, despite having boatloads of chops. He served the songs.

User Info Menu

Johnny Smith had a powerful right hand and had a loose wrist. Superb technique.

User Info Menu

Pulled this up and listened to the whole thing at home ...

Good stuff!!

User Info Menu

Full set of Johnny Smith in Alabama, 1984:

User Info Menu

Great stuff -- Johnny Smith always made it seem so easy.

User Info Menu

Man oh man, this is very cool. Most enjoyable to hear some live Johnny that I have not heard before.

Apparently Johnny didn't get the memo about playing norlin era instruments. Or, did he just change the tailpiece and truss rod cover?

I dig the clown barf pickguard too.

User Info Menu

I really like that opening tune, "Feels Good." (I guess that's the name of it.)

Great band, and Bing was a great singer. Good stuff.