The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28
    Gosh both of those guitarists are awesome! I wish I had one 100th of their abilities.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Groyniad
    i don't like joe pass solo guitar either - and i really can't stand much martin taylor (although i admire him hugely as a guitarist - hugely)

i think people put their fingers on it here

its because he is not trying to cover all the bases like a piano can

so it feels like he's not trying to prove something about how close to piano jazz guitar can come

so it feels more confident

and he does a fabulously good job of suggesting enough of the harmony and using repetition of even quiet complex long phrases to keep everything going along as it needs to

he often accompanies himself with the use of a single note phrase rather than a chordal sequence - i'm getting into this a lot recently - and it works very well

but this sort of performance - and thank goodness he's doing a lot of it at the moment - really gives me new conviction as a guitarist

as is so often true when you encounter a really great player you find yourself kind of amazed that no-one else did this before he did

When I was studying CG in graduate school I wanted to loan my CG teacher some solo jazz guitar player records to see what he thought of them.
    He said I could loan them to him, but he refused to take any Joe Pass records.
    He said someone had loaned him some JP records and he thought it was the worst garbage he ever heard.
    I didn't loan him any records...

User Info Menu

Great.
    Very strong Rhythmic Drive.
    I don't hear enough of that from most Jazz Guitarists .

Never even heard this Tune.
    Love the NeoClassical Counterpoint thing - really solid arrangement and the Virtuoso runs were brief and did not disrupt the Tune and flow.
    I like how he 'Ghosts' the runs- real wispy almost legato (picked) like Alto Players sometimes do..
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 07-11-2016 at 02:42 AM.