The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 76

User Info Menu

Very, very sad. Doug was one of the "best of the best". One of my all time favorite guitarists along with his father, Jimmy Raney.

Howie (wiz)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    oh..if true, so sad...while not entirely surprising..a great great player...one of the last of his kind..direct link to bop era

rip doug raney

Attachment 30892

cheers
    Unfortunately, it's definitely true. Jon Raney has confirmed this on his site and FB.

John

User Info Menu

Another late-comer to Doug's music here, great player he was. RIP

User Info Menu

Another tragedy. Years ago, a guitarist that used to play with Doug's brother Jon confirmed that he had the same "personal issues" that have fallen too many jazz musicians. I can't find an official obit, other than Jon's comments, but read that he reportedly was homeless. Great playing. I have a handful of his CDs. Just saw that many of his recordings are available on Spotify!
    Last edited by drmike; 05-02-2016 at 03:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Confirmed here: http://www.jonraney.com/blog/

RIP.....

User Info Menu

Very sorry to hear of the demise of Doug Raney, a stellar player like his father,of whom
    as a youngster I first heard on vinyl ,with Stan Getz. They immediately turned me into
    a Jazz Fan and I never looked back. So sad that we lose them all too soon, RIP Doug,

User Info Menu

This is great stuff from Doug....

User Info Menu

Huge loss to all those that love music. RIP Doug

User Info Menu

yesterday apparently.
    RIP Doug

User Info Menu

The Jazz world lost a great musician yesterday and to say he was an important influence in my own personal playing and style would be an understatement. His recordings with Chet Baker are phenomenal and second to none especially when it comes to a trumpet guitar bass trio.
    I've listened over and over to those recordings as well as Doug's recordings as a leader. His song selections are perfect for each setting he's in. He had such a voice and slick style. I'd put him right up there with the greats. So under recognized for such a great player. He should have been right up there with the likes of Martino
    Jazz musicians often lead hard lives and yet grace us with beautiful music, thank you Doug you'll never be forgotten through your music. Rest in peace

User Info Menu

[This thread is the merger of three separate threads on the passing of Doug Raney. RIP.]

dortmundjazzguitar Guest
    having just discovered pass, kessel, burrell et al, this changed my world 35 years ago.

dortmundjazzguitar Guest

User Info Menu

Is there any listing of the recordings Doug Raney did with Chet Baker? I only have the "Someday My Prince Will Come" album. Does anyone know the others pairing these two?

User Info Menu

Daybreak
    This Is Always
    Someday My Prince Will Come

all on Steeplechase

dortmundjazzguitar Guest
    also "i remember you" on enja.

User Info Menu

Those records with Chet ate the best "drumerless trio" jazz albums I've ever heard. Every one is a gem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Those records with Chet ate the best "drumerless trio" jazz albums I've ever heard. Every one is a gem.
    agreed, but the Norvo trio stuff is pretty good too

User Info Menu

By the way, I meant "ARE" the best, not "ATE"

My other faves are any drumerless trio with Philip Catherine.

User Info Menu

'it takes a pretty good drummer to beat no drummer at all' paraphrasing Chet

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    By the way, I meant "ARE" the best, not "ATE"

My other faves are any drumerless trio with Philip Catherine.
    No, I think you got it right the first time!

By the way he did a nice trio record with Philip Catherine called Chet's Choice.

User Info Menu

TBH, I was not aware of Doug Raney's musical accomplishment or skill until I checked out some of the clips, posted in connection with his recent demise.

I will be searching out more of his stuff.

Sadly, like many fine jazz musicians he labored in relative obscurity. Like his father who spent some time away from the jazz world, and even wrote some half-humorous pieces about the relative indifference of the listening public, only to later return, it seems as if he could not get the music out of his blood.

This in itself deserves respect.
    Last edited by goldenwave77; 05-03-2016 at 07:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Very very sad news, one of my favorite players when i started in jazz in the 80s, love your music Doug.

User Info Menu

I really love Doug's playing... lots of great lines to steal from. I have been worried about him ever since pics over the past 10 years have emerged. I hate to pry, but have wondered about his personal challenges and wished that I knew him so that I could help in some way. Buying his music was all I could do.

It's painful to think about someone with that kind of talent and inner knowing winding up homeless. Do your best to support our older players, guys and gals. If Michael Jackson can run out of grocery money, imagine what happens to someone like Doug.

RIP, Doug. You deserve a place of honor among the many talented story tellers who have graced this planet.

Thanks for the tip on the Chet Baker LPs - I'm picking up The Touch of Your Lips right now!

User Info Menu

as a long time Chet fan I purchased his 3 trio cd's w/Doug Raney on the Steeplechase label when they were released
    as Mr. Beaumont points out, a must listen.