The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

My girlfriend and I caught The Julian Lage Trio tonight at The Revelry Room in Chattanooga.
    Attached Images Attached Images Julian Lage Trio-julian-lage-trio-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

After the concert, Sue and I had dinner at the restaurant next door and encountered Julian and his band coming in for an after concert bite and had a nice chat.

Left to Right: Jorge Roeder, Julian Lage, me, Kenny Wolleson.
    Attached Images Attached Images Julian Lage Trio-julian-lage-jpg 

User Info Menu

Neat. So how was the show?
    What did the trio open with?
    What was the closer?
    Did Julian say much to the audience?
    How was the band received?
    Did Julian play that Tele all night?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Neat. So how was the show?
    What did the trio open with?
    What was the closer?
    Did Julian say much to the audience?
    How was the band received?
    Did Julian play that Tele all night?
    The group is touring to promote Julian's new album
    The first number was Nocturne followed by Harlem Blues.

The last number was Ryland.

Julian spoke between every two numbers, telling the audience the names of the tunes.

The crowd was rapt and effusive in their responses to the numbers. About halfway through the set, Julian commented on the focus of the audience sayin "You guys are great listeners!" They followed a very good singer, which can be difficult for an instrumental act but they knocked it out of the park.

Telecaster through a tweed Princeton all night.

He was like every video you've ever seen, smiling and obviouly enjoying himself during the set and graciously thanking the audience after every number.

When I spoke with him at the restaurant he was gracious and genuinely nice. We talked about tunes, Teles, different styles of music. When I mentioned how much I enjoyed a standard he played, I'll Be Seeing You, he said "Great songs do all the work for you" which I thought was a cool statement.
    Last edited by monk; 04-25-2016 at 12:12 PM.

User Info Menu

What a great experience. Glad to hear that Julian's new CD is out. I heard him last summer playing songs from it, as he said the had just recorded it for release in 2016. I hadn't checked in a while to see if it is out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    When I mentioned how much I enjoyed a standard he played, I'll Be Seeing You, he said "Great songs do all the work for you."
    What a great line! I'm jotting that one down.

User Info Menu

wasn't he having some hand issues recently?

User Info Menu

He mentioned some hand issues that he had three years ago in a Fresh Air interview on NPR earlier this month.

He had no problems executing last night. He played beautifully and seemed to really enjoy what he was doing.

Nor did he appear to be holding back. He played chords and lines with extreme left hand stretches with no discernible discomfort.

User Info Menu

Small world. I actually sat right behind you. lol
    I got to speak to Julian for a little bit. We talked about Frisell, string gauge, and gear. The normal guitar nerd stuff.
    Spoke with Kenny for a little while to. We talked about Weckl, previous times we met and so on. I had a really good time. I think I actually bumped you a few times with me leg. lol

Sorry!

I have a couple of videos from the show here.
    Saw Julian Lage last night | Bill Frisell Forum

Julian Lage Trio-26549294292_cba80448d1_z-jpg
    Last edited by Melodic Dreamer; 04-25-2016 at 03:51 PM.

User Info Menu

He mentioned some hand issues that he had three years ago in a Fresh Air interview on NPR earlier this month.

He had no problems executing last night. He played beautifully and seemed to really enjoy what he was doing.

Nor did he appear to be holding back. He played chords and lines with extreme left hand stretches with no discernible discomfort.

Yes he did. I noticed how light his touch was.
    It was almost like he was breathing on the strings instead of playing them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Melodic Dreamer
    Small world. I actually sat right behind you. lol
    I got to speak to Julian for a little bit. We talked about Frisell, string gauge, and gear. The normal guitar nerd stuff.
    Spoke with Kenny for a little while to. We talked about Weckl, previous times we met and so on. I had a really good time. I think I actually bumped you a few times with me leg. lol

Sorry!

I have a couple of videos from the show here.
    Saw Julian Lage last night | Bill Frisell Forum

Julian Lage Trio-26549294292_cba80448d1_z-jpg
    Yep, that's you alright. Don't remember you bumping my seat but I was riveted. He really got a Big Note out of his setup and his back pickup was clear without being thin and shrill. Where are you located? I'm back and forth between K-Town and Chatt.

User Info Menu

I'm a little outside Knoxville TN.

User Info Menu

Good man.

User Info Menu

It was actually a Vintage Tweed Fender Champ that was cranked. He used his volume to control his amount of drive/clean.
    He was such a pleasure to watch.

User Info Menu

It was actually a Vintage Tweed Fender Champ that was cranked. He used his volume to control his amount of drive/clean.
    He was such a pleasure to watch.
    Thanks for the clarification. What gauge strings was he using to get the big sound? It's always fun to watch someone who enjoys what they're doing. Lotsa body english, too.

User Info Menu

He told me 11's with a wound G.

User Info Menu

He told me 11's with a wound G.
    Thanks. He had a big sound even on the back pickup.

User Info Menu

Saw him in Marblehead, MA in a small church setting in 2012, on a perfect August evening.

Front pew.

During a break, a careless woman crossed in front, tripped on the guitar cable, and almost wiped out his connected Manzer he's had since 12 years old.

I gasped, lurched and saved the git.

Proud to have been of service!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    Saw him in Marblehead, MA in a small church setting in 2012, on a perfect August evening.

Front pew.

During a break, a careless woman crossed in front, tripped on the guitar cable, and almost wiped out his connected Manzer he's had since 12 years old.

I'm picturing you with your hands on your hip, chest stuck out with a cape swaying in the wind striking a superman pose. lol

User Info Menu

More like frazzled, eyes bugging out and teeth clenched!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic

Front pew.

big phew...

User Info Menu

Well, I unexpecredly got to see Julian and the trio at the Dakota in Minneapolis last night. I had not been aware of the gig, in fact, but my wife's old high school band director had tickets and couldn't go. They were offered to us and we- well, I- jumped at the chance. Julian was actually the opener (!) for "Guitar Night," the second set being Peter Lang and a few other of the old Takoma Records label artists. Frankly they were nowhere near as interesting as Julian, but it seemed like most of the audience was there for them (Peter Lang is from Minneapolis and has lived here basically his whole life; seemed like half the room were personal friends).

The trio's set was excellent, maybe a bit slow to get rolling during the first couple tunes but then the stops got pulled out and most of the show was riveting. The material predominantly came from Arclight. They played close to 90 minutes, no encore and were obviously their own roadies. Jorge is an excellent bassist with a big, woody upright tone and Kenny is an inventive and attentive drummer. Man, what a great trio with great interaction and an obvious appreciation of each other. After their set I had about a 30 minute chat with Jorge and with Julian off and on at the merch table. Very nice people with a tremendous enthusiasm for what they do. Jorge is a very thoughtful and smart guy, he and Kenny were the revelations of the night as I was not familiar with them previously. What a great evening!

Jeez, that was a heckuva 10 days- Pete Bernstein on 4/20 and Julian Lage on 4/29. Not bad for living in flyover country.
    Last edited by Cunamara; 04-30-2016 at 03:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Saw the trio at Spivey Hall near Atlanta. Great show. It was however a little depressing how undersold the show was. He really is crazy talented.