The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    sorry to hijack..but gracins mention got me!..hah..here's elliot easton of the cars loving tribute...good read

(hey sgcim did you know joe beck..i met him a few times via an older guitar player friend..one heck of a player)

Elliot Easton
    ‎ to Gracin's Music Tribute
    July 18, 2015 ·
    You want a story? I have a doozy. I grew up in Massapequa, Long Island and Gracin's was my go-to store. I used to take the Sunrise Hwy. bus and I remember that the store was right next to Wetson's Hamburgers. I got a crappy import electric from White's of Massapequa for my Bar Mitzvah and around '67-'68 I wanted a good acoustic guitar to play folk and country blues. With my budget (very little), Bernie steered me to an all-mahogany Favilla acoustic guitar. I worked at the bagel store on Hicksville Rd. in Seaford/Plainview/ N.Massapequa in the Calvert Shopping Center. Bernie ordered the lefty acoustic for me from Tommy Favilla and I drove Bernie crazy calling him practically every day to see if it was in! He couldn't have been more patient and kind to me and when the guitar finally arrived I was thrilled and loved that thing so much. I was never without it. A year or two later in the 11th grade I decided that since my heroes Robbie Robertson, Jesse Ed Davis, Mike Bloomfield, Roy Buchanan, Roy Nichols, Clarence White, Cornell Dupree, Steve Cropper and James Burton (to name a few), all played Telecasters, then I had to have one too. Sooooo, I went to Gracin's and Bernie ordered me a custom-made left handed Telecaster in blonde with a maple neck. The price, with case and tax was around $220, a fortune to me then. I got a job at La Crepe restaurant in the Bar Harbor Shopping Center in Massapequa to earn the money to pay for the guitar. I was one of those kids who was completely obsessed with guitars, sending away for catalogs, hiding them in my textbooks at school, etc. I knew every spec of every model from every company you could name. Obsessed. By now, I was in a fever to get my guitar and again, I called almost every day and drove Bernie nuts but he was again totally kind and patient with me. I loved guitars so much that even Bernie and Pops couldn't believe it. I would take the bus to Gracin's just to be around guitars. I used to help Danny, sweeping the floor, moving boxes, anything I could do to make myself useful. Bernie could not believe how much this kid loved guitars. He understood how badly I wanted that guitar and even loaned my a used lefty Fender Jaguar that someone brought in on trade. It had a psychedelic paint job and Bernie said I could hang onto it until my Telecaster came in. Maybe he thought I wouldn't call so much if I had a Fender to play! He was such a kind man, sometimes it would be late and closing time and he would actually drive me home rather than my having to take the bus at night at 16 years old. That's a mensch. This was 1971. Soooooo, now, roll up to 1979, I've already made two multi platinum albums with The Cars, and Gibson brought me out the the summer NAMM show at McCormick Place in Chicago. So, I'm standing in one of the booths and across the floor I see BERNIE GRACIN!!! I raced over to him, not really expecting him to remember me. I introduced myself to him him and told him about my success with The Cars. I told him my name and reminded him and thanked him for his kindness to me all those years ago. When I finished the story, he had tears in his eyes and said "you've gotta meet my wife!" He dragged me over to his wife and said to her, "THIS IS THE KID I ALWAYS USED TO TELL YOU ABOUT WHO WAS SO CRAZY ABOUT GUITARS!!!" He remembered. How's that for a Bernie Gracin story?

cheers

I saw JB play at the Guitar Town Hall Concert when I was a kid. He was doing a lot
    of session work back then, so he was playing a Fender solid body.

Then I saw him play at the LI Guitar Show, and he was playing a big hollow body. I never met him.
    Great Gracin's story!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use D'Addario Pure Nickel 11's on my Tele--I think it gives a mellower sound than chromes.

I also think a lot depends on the pickup and caps--my pickup is a SD Alnico 2 in the neck position, not sure about the cap though. It definitely has a dark tone with little treble--couldn't play bright with that pickup if I wanted to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

I also think a lot depends on the pickup and caps--my pickup is a SD Alnico 2 in the neck position, not sure about the cap though. It definitely has a dark tone with little treble--couldn't play bright with that pickup if I wanted to.

I disagree. All my tele stuff is done with a dead stock neck pickup, bright and dark.

Telecaster guys...a lot of 'em, their motto is "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is."

I'm not against pickup swaps and caps and pots and whatever, but the sound the OP wants is probably already in his guitar.

User Info Menu

A little off topic, but while listening to Ed Bickert and Sonny Greenwich last night, my wife said "Ed sounds like he's playing an electric piano, both in tone and in the chords he's playing". She's a pianist.

Nice, I thought.

User Info Menu

Definitely!

User Info Menu

I've read that Bickert used RW 10s sometimes. He also said re: his choice of amps, that anything would do except a Fender.
    Go figure.

I'm trying to make things physically easy these days and play a stock Tele Thinline with rw 10s Through a 20 yr old
    solid state Fender Princeton 112 plus. 65w with the stock Fender 12. I used to play through a Polytone. Nothing special but it gets a half way decent jazz tone. The shoulder of a Fender medium fattens the tone up and takes some of the edge off it. . Also a Fender tip, which most are aware of: Shield the pup cavity with copper foil with the joints soldered with copper solder. There's copper shielding paint to but the foil's better. Cuts single coil noise almost completely.
    Rolling off the guitar volume slightly cuts some highs.

User Info Menu

I get Ed's comment on Fender amps...that natural midrange scoop, and Ed's tone is all about mids...

User Info Menu

That makes sense. They can get brittle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I get Ed's comment on Fender amps...that natural midrange scoop, and Ed's tone is all about mids...
    Haunting mids!

User Info Menu

I disagree. All my tele stuff is done with a dead stock neck pickup, bright and dark.

Telecaster guys...a lot of 'em, their motto is "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is."

I'm not against pickup swaps and caps and pots and whatever, but the sound the OP wants is probably already in his guitar.
    Nothing wrong with the stock pickups--I agree most stock Teles I've tried have had a good mellow tone. I didn't swap the pickups and caps myself, that's the way it was when I bought it. I just feel like I lucked into a really great setup, and it only cost me $150! (For the entire guitar, including strings...)

I did change the body and pickguard and added a Tremolo, just for the heck of it. But no electronic mods.

did Ed Bickert use flat wound strings on his tele?-null_zpsd916fbf8-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I use D'Addario Pure Nickel 11's on my Tele--I think it gives a mellower sound than chromes.

I use the pure nickels too - better jazz tone IMO.

My tele is a 2005 American Deluxe with SCN noiseless pickups. It's not a purist tele, but I bought it because the neck pickup had the best jazz sound of any of the teles I tried... It's a pretty dark and buttery sounding guitar.

on my us standard tele I've elixir 11s and they are the best rounds I've used so far, but as for strings I might try d'addario light chromes or maybe half wounds

User Info Menu

I've been using .10 flats, D'Addario Chromes for 6 months. I'm quite happy with them. I can't go heavier, problems with my arms and my wrist...old man issues.

User Info Menu

I had heavy Tomastik flats on my Tele for a long time but they made it a one-trick pony. You could barely bend a whole step on the second string and after playing rhythm one night on the old Motown tune, Heat Wave, on that heavy set I though my hand was gonna fall off!

I rediscovered the versatility of lighter round wounds and string bending and never looked back. I personally think the Bickert sound is more about touch, attitude and amp settings than string gauges.

User Info Menu

flats dont have to be heavy...thomastik has a 10-44 set..and ghs has a 9-42 flat set

cheers

not to derail my own thread, but I don't want to start another one. Should I wait before unboxing the guitar? I heard opening straight away can ruin the finish.

User Info Menu

changes in temp affect lacquer..if it's poly you'll be fine

also depends what temp difference is..freezing to balmy..let it sit a bit..otherwise you'll be ok

enjoy

cheers

Well it has a thin skin nitro finish which I'm assuming is lacquer. the temp in aus is really bizarre, one side of the city is pouring rain and thunder and the other side hot and dry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    A little off topic, but while listening to Ed Bickert and Sonny Greenwich last night, my wife said "Ed sounds like he's playing an electric piano, both in tone and in the chords he's playing". She's a pianist.

Nice, I thought.
    Ed sort of plays like the right hand of a pianist, favoring the upper chord structures and essentially voicing polychords without the lower chord.

User Info Menu

For the first 15 years or so, Ed's Tele was dead stock too. I think that he started using it in the very early 60s (there is a video on YouTube with the Tele appearing very white and very clean from around then) and he added the humbucker after "Pure Desmond," as near as I can tell and that was 1975. I've read that he did this to be able to get better string balance, not for tonal reasons.