The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I know I know, he's not a guitar player. But still...god I love his playing.

Anyway, I've been on a bit of a Prez kick lately, transcribing a bit. I'm not a huge transcriber, but I get so much from him. Just so lyrical. No nonsense.

Anybody else ever transcribe his stuff? Anybody have any favorite Lester solos/takes you recommend us to check out.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice job, Jordan!

User Info Menu

Damn you, Jordan! I was gonna do that this summer! Do you sing them while you walk down the streets of NYC. It's good fun to practice singing phrases and people on the subway stare at you like you're crazy. I played with a harmonica player who could sing a lot of those Prez solos by memory and play em on the harp. He said it was a Tristano thing that Lee Konitz also taught his students.

User Info Menu

Thanks M-ster!

@Irez
    I didn't sing the blues much. It's so short and the phrases are so slow. I just listened to each phrase a few times, figured it out, and moved on. It's such a short solo that I had the whole thing down pretty quickly. Lady Be Good took a little longer. I used to sing that one a lot. Sometimes I'd sing the whole thing, other times I'd just parts that were throwing me off. But yeah, it helped me memorize it. I don't transcribe often, but when I do, I try not to just get the 'right notes' but really find ways to imitate the phrasing and the nuance. Some of the ideas in this solo, even the simpler ideas, I had to listen to, sing, and play on loop over and over and over until I found ways to replicate the fine print details of them.

What solos were you thinking of doing this summer? Any in particular? I'm thinking of sticking with Lester for a while and getting a few more of his solos under my fingers.

User Info Menu

Great Prez! I transcribed Jus "jive at five" solo count basie quintet version.

User Info Menu

His not Jus

Thanks Gippo. I'll check that one out.

User Info Menu

Love Me or Leave Me Lester's solo:

It's short, but so swingin'

Nice...I haven't heard this one yet. Thanks Irez!

User Info Menu

Two more:

Dickie's Dream:

Those minah licks sound like Charlie Charlie Charlie Christian (did I conjure up his ghost, I hope so!)

And the solo that Scott Reeves had us learn in CCNY, I gotta go back to this one:

Lyrically Liliting Lester Leaping his Lines!

User Info Menu

Great Jordan! All of me, the long take w Billie H.

User Info Menu

Nice work, Jordan. Here's my transcription of Shoe Shine Boy, recorded along with Lady Be Good at Lester's first Basie session:
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Check out this site. It features quite a few transcriptions of Lester solos, and some interesting commentary:

1) 18 with Lee K. - Do The Math

User Info Menu

I actually list Lester Young is one of my favorite guitar players when people ask.

User Info Menu

And Charlie Christian as one of your favorite horn players? What is so funny, is that if you listen to both of these musicians thoroughly, these comical statements actually ring true in a very serious way. Lester played a huge role in the development of modern guitar and CC with horn players. Love it when that happens