The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28
    Oh guys who are better at the time line stuff, Jonah reminded me, my original question was what would Wes have thought of the solo stuff; did Wes die before the whole solo gig really started?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think Joe's first Virtuoso lp on Pablo was around '73, so yes, Wes was already gone for 5 yrs @ the time...

User Info Menu

Joe Pass hit the NY scene in the 50s. He was a fully formed player, at that point. His habit was so bad that he dropped out of the biz. He recorded albums in the early 60s, sporadically--again, his habit was pretty awful. (Apparently, some of the rock guys in the 60s/70s were rich enough to afford heroin and be sorta functional, e.g., Clapton. The jazz scene, however, was so marginal that only a guy like Miles would have been able to afford a habit and live comfortably. Everybody else would be/was scuffling.) After Pass cleaned up, mid-60s, his career took off. He became a Norman Granz artist. Granz took care of his people.

My bet is that Wes Montgomery heard of Pass in the late-50s/early-60s. By the mid-to-late-60s they would have been jazz guitarists both ensconced on the music pyramid--Wes at the top, Joe Pass somewhere in the middle. Wes would have known who Pass was...even if the Virtuoso series came out much later, after Montgomery's death.