The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    Martijn van Iterson, great player, old style tone, but modern style playing.

I enjoy him as well. Lots of modern guys I like with more old school tone as well but just trying to stick to the OP's guidelines.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I dont trust a man who doesn't enjoy a good clean tele or start tone. To me, it's refreshing when players switch things up a bit!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    his playing on Ambrose akinmusire's latest was my intro to him. It was one of those "quick, grab the liner notes and find out who THAT is" moments.
    Listened to it this morning Jeff. Thanks for the recommendation!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stellarstar
    Reinier Baas, he plays an Es-339 exclusively. Very little acoustic properties to his sound, but it's lovely. Really bright and articulate, but not jangly.

How to make that kind of sound? I don't mean articulation. What pedals? Reverb, delay, chorus and Fender amp?
    Last edited by chemiorro; 04-13-2015 at 03:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    I enjoy him as well. Lots of modern guys I like with more old school tone as well but just trying to stick to the OP's guidelines.

Ok, Mike Walker, one of the Uk's finest modern Jazz Guitar players and top musician.

User Info Menu

Whoa! This cat's new to me (Bass)....love it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    Ok, Mike Walker, one of the Uk's finest modern Jazz Guitar players and top musician.

Walker is great (he used to post here). I believe The Impossible Gentleman have been in the studio recording their next release.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    Walker is great (he used to post here).
    Yes, I remember him very well, great player, he's a bit of a guitar guru to some folks around here, North West England, especially in Manchester and rightfully so in my opinion, not just his playing, but his overall musicianship.

User Info Menu

As I write this I am listening to a recording (rough mix) we made on the weekend at a live event. (duo) We recorded every track and also had two ambient mics set up for recording.

This is duo where I played an Eastman AR503CE with GHS flatwound strings and the bass player was playing a Yamaha 5 string fretless with black tape wound strings.

I went through a Zoom pedal with a touch of stereo chorus, and a Jazz Chorus amp sim. We were both going through JBL EON 10" powered speakers. One of the new Motu units was used as for mix, reverb, and a little compression.

I did not vary any of the knobs during the performance.

When playing live I thought it was OK. Listening to the recording, I am thinking things might be a little too soft sounding. Maybe I find the JC amp sim or the touch of chorus fatiguing after a while. We did not mic the guitar at all. Maybe I am missing that sound.

Danielle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    As I write this I am listening to a recording (rough mix) we made on the weekend at a live event. (duo) We recorded every track and also had two ambient mics set up for recording.

This is duo where I played an Eastman AR503CE with GHS flatwound strings and the bass player was playing a Yamaha 5 string fretless with black tape wound strings.

I went through a Zoom pedal with a touch of stereo chorus, and a Jazz Chorus amp sim. We were both going through JBL EON 10" powered speakers. One of the new Motu units was used as for mix, reverb, and a little compression.

I did not vary any of the knobs during the performance.

When playing live I thought it was OK. Listening to the recording, I am thinking things might be a little too soft sounding. Maybe I find the JC amp sim or the touch of chorus fatiguing after a while. We did not mic the guitar at all. Maybe I am missing that sound.

Danielle
    Room sound and recorded sound are two different things. You might of had a good sound for the room, but on recording without the acoustics of the room not so good. This is where having a LONG guitar cord or wireless is nice to go out and hear the room sound during setup.

User Info Menu

Soooo many players using an expanded tone palette over the last 40 years, it's almost hard to still call it modern. Lots of guys getting it right for my ears, it's difficult to narrow it down. Frisell, Crocco, Nels Cline, Adam Rogers, Krantz, Kevin Eubanks, Moreno, Rosenwinkel, Ribot, Juris, on and on...

User Info Menu

In visual Art, the modern era starts 100 years ago or so...so i say we're ok.

Funny...the word "contemporary" is dirty in music. Damn you, Celine.

User Info Menu

I just posted this on a similar thread in the last few days, but IMHO it's worth noting again:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chemiorro
    How to make that kind of sound? I don't mean articulation. What pedals? Reverb, delay, chorus and Fender amp?
    He doesn't use effects too much. But his tone is pretty balanced, his chain is pretty no bs. Most of it's from dynamics I think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    In visual Art, the modern era starts 100 years ago or so...so i say we're ok.

Funny...the word "contemporary" is dirty in music. Damn you, Celine.
    Im sticking with modern. I don't care if it's not academically correct!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Room sound and recorded sound are two different things. You might of had a good sound for the room, but on recording without the acoustics of the room not so good. This is where having a LONG guitar cord or wireless is nice to go out and hear the room sound during setup.
    I was only listening to a very rough mix. I suppose I should judge things a little better after the studio wiz does her magic with Cakewalk sonar. With having each individual track recorded and two ambient room microphones recorded she does have some tracks to work with. Perhaps a little too heavy on compression during the rough mix?

She usually walks out in the room to check my guitar and vocals before we play. We did not manage to do all of our usual detailed sound checks. It was one of those days where we arrived with plenty of time to set up, but then spent and hour waiting for diners to clear out of the performance space.

Danielle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    My favourite modern tones, not overly processed, quite pure maybe a touch of delay the most beautiful guitar tone for my ears:

Lovely tone and playing as well.

Check out the age of the audience. Is the audience of younger jazz musicians also typically younger? I'm an old fart and almost everyone in my bands are as old as me or older. Our audiences are mostly old, too. Everybody behind the band looks well under 30 (and in the band, too). That's very encouraging for the future of jazz. Of course, that audience could just happen to be *all* of the under-30s interested in jazz.

I like what they did with this old war horse of a tune a lot.

Some of the modern sounds elude me, they seem out of place on standards although not so much on originals. And I chuckle sometimes because the sounds can remind me of Jerry Garcia from 25 years ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stellarstar
    He doesn't use effects too much. But his tone is pretty balanced, his chain is pretty no bs. Most of it's from dynamics I think.
    Yeah but still I would love to recognise four pedals he use (1:33).