The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Posts 276 to 300 of 554

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyguitar
    well not a lot for sure... but i found this guy which looks amazing, he deserves way more views

0:07 -- whoa, did Led Zep ripoff Art Tatum, too?

User Info Menu

thank you very much!
    you're welcome. looking forward to your recording!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    0:07 -- whoa, did Led Zep ripoff Art Tatum, too?
    Quote Originally Posted by djg
    you're welcome. looking forward to your recording!
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Please point us to your recordings. I wanna hear some non-basic and easy technique.

(This ain't the gear page, you don't earn any points here by badmouthing good players)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    If you have an example of a player who exemplifies what you mean; someone who you feel illustrates what you are talking about with respect to Pasquale's technique. Will give me a reference point for where you are coming from.

well not bad for a first little practice. tomorrow will be much better, but i macthed art tatum speed when i was practicing over his original phrase. as i said is not bad for the first try. it will become better through practice. for just 30 minutes of practice i think its ok. Anyway in the current state, this skills are far more remarkable than any thing grasso have done....i am gonna gain speed in the next day, but i didnt wanted to wait, i will post another video in one or 2 days to see a faster version of this lick

User Info Menu

I wonder now where is the guy who called me a troll? cause i denied grasso skills? I clearly knew what i was talking about, not trolling. I hope you understand now why i say that grassos technique doesnt impress me a little bit

User Info Menu

Yes, your 4 second clip proves everything.

User Info Menu

well not bad for a first little practice. tomorrow will be much better, but i macthed art tatum speed when i was practicing over his original phrase. as i said is not bad for the first try. it will become better through practice. for just 30 minutes of practice i think its ok. Anyway in the current state, this skills are far more remarkable than any thing grasso have done....i am gonna gain speed in the next day, but i didnt wanted to wait, i will post another video in one or 2 days to see a faster version of this lick
    That was horrible and way too busy. I know many hacks that can do that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    That was horrible and way too busy. I know many hacks that can do that.
    lol rofl.... horrible? its not mine idea, its tatum one. not my fault if you cant appreciate it, it sounds clean so it sticks to the original idea.
    hacks? what hacks?

User Info Menu

Alternatively you could play us some music.

User Info Menu

lol rofl.... horrible? its not mine idea, its tatum one. not my fault if you cant appreciate it, it sounds clean so it sticks to the original idea.
    hacks? what hacks?
    I think you've taken this joke far enough. If you want to embarrass yourself, that's fine, but don't disparage someone who can actually play.

User Info Menu

I began study with Barry Harris in 1987 and though I'm a very average player I gleaned information from Barry's system that enabled me to be an average player with some original ideas and the joy of jazz guitar improvisation.

I've told this anecdote before but I feel it deserves dusting off.

I'm not sure when but Barry started talking about 'these little cats in Italy'. Little kids, brothers Luigi and Pasquale asking 'what should we do now'? Barry told them 'learn the Charlie Parker heads'. Next time Barry taught in Rome the wee Grasso's said 'what should we do now?' having learned the Parker heads.

In 2017 I heard Barry refer to Pasquale as the best in the world.

I'd hate to learn online that Barry misled me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    I think you've taken this joke far enough. If you want to embarrass yourself, that's fine, but don't disparage someone who can actually play.
    I never embarrased myself, its not my fault if u cant understand facts. I only said that PG technique is not remarkable, as people claimed here. People asked me to post things of my technique, and i just posted a preview. A short clip after a little practice of one tatum licks. I bet you cant match his speed as I did today during the practice...I will post a better and faster version but what i posted is still good.
    You clearly have not idea of what is to develope the skills to play with fingers and what is to hide behind a plectrum and distorssion or an amp. To play with fingers is at least one thousand times more difficult than playing with a plectrum. The day Grasso could play his fast solos with his fingers that day i will accept he is a virtuoso, meanwhile no way. I have no problems to play his faster runs (even faster than him but using fingers) with my fingers and thats why I said that his technique is not impressive to me. So before you try to say something about me, throw your plectrum and learn real skills...

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    I began study with Barry Harris in 1987 and though I'm a very average player I gleaned information from Barry's system that enabled me to be an average player with some original ideas and the joy of jazz guitar improvisation.

I've told this anecdote before but I feel it deserves dusting off.

I'm not sure when but Barry started talking about 'these little cats in Italy'. Little kids, brothers Luigi and Pasquale asking 'what should we do now'? Barry told them 'learn the Charlie Parker heads'. Next time Barry taught in Rome the wee Grasso's said 'what should we do now?' having learned the Parker heads.

In 2017 I heard Barry refer to Pasquale as the best in the world.

I'd hate to learn online that Barry misled me.
    I have no idea of who is Barry Harris...but i know who is Beethoven, do you know him? I can learn more form him than from any guy named Barry. Good luck next time

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    Not my problem if you guys make a big deal of something simple to understand...how the hell can i be impressed by the technique of a guy who plays at my speed but with a plectrum and using and electric guitar...
    Is that hard to understand? why should i be impressed?
    He is not a technical monster as people said, classical and flamenco masters are way more remarkable than him,and more impressive than him for sure

User Info Menu

He even doesnt have the musical skills of other guys like Django Reinhardt or Oscar Moore (I bet most of you doesnt know who was him)
    well the technique of both doesnt impress me, but they for sure were way more musical and enjoyable than him. Compare a solo made by Grasso with Nat King cole in the piano, he made way better melodies, etc etc

Joe Pass for example is better than Grasso, maybe not in the technique but he was a real musician. I am still not ready to start improvising as I am focused on the technique which is important, and thats it, I have no problems admitting it (notice than i only compared my self with PG in terms of technique skills). After i improve my technique, speed and everything I will focus on music

User Info Menu

Jazzyguitar, speed is only one thing that makes Pasquale remarkable. You seem a bit hung up on it.

I'm not sure why a player who uses a plectrum is "cheating " or something to you as well.

You do realize also, that Grasso isn't just playing Art Tatum licks on guitar, right? He's also improvising, and providing his own accompaniment.

I'm not sure what you know about jazz, but what you should know is that jazz guitar is a small community, and in general, shitting on another player is a surefire way to come off as a complete hack.

User Info Menu

Jazzyguitar, speed is only one thing that makes Pasquale remarkable. You seem a bit hung up on it.

I'm not sure why a player who uses a plectrum is "cheating " or something to you as well.

You do realize also, that Grasso isn't just playing Art Tatum licks on guitar, right? He's also improvising, and providing his own accompaniment.

I'm not sure what you know about jazz, but what you should know is that jazz guitar is a small community, and in general, shitting on another player is a surefire way to come off as a complete hack.
    is simple, is way easier to play faster with a plectrum than with fingers, its one thousand times harder and takes way more time to train the fingers. Just by mentioning one little example, you need to teach each finger separatedly. So its not the same using I M than M I, the feeling is very different and you need to train both ways separately....this is just one example. So if you want to compare the difficulty of playin with a pic and with the fingers is not my fault...I didnt shit on Grasso, I just said 2 things:
    1) his technique is not impressive to me. (seems im the only one here that thinks it)
    2) I dont find him very creative or inspiring or musical, (some people agrees with me on that here and I dont think they shitted on PG)

User Info Menu

He even doesnt have the musical skills of other guys like Django Reinhardt or Oscar Moore (I bet most of you doesnt know who was him)
    well the technique of both doesnt impress me, but they for sure were way more musical and enjoyable than him. Compare a solo made by Grasso with Nat King cole in the piano, he made way better melodies, etc etc

Joe Pass for example is better than Grasso, maybe not in the technique but he was a real musician. I am still not ready to start improvising as I am focused on the technique which is important, and thats it, I have no problems admitting it (notice than i only compared my self with PG in terms of technique skills). After i improve my technique, speed and everything I will focus on music
    I assume most of us know who Oscar Moore is. All I know is that if that is an example of your technique, please don't attempt to post any actual music.

User Info Menu

To play with fingers is at least one thousand times more difficult than playing with a plectrum. The day Grasso could play his fast solos with his fingers that day i will accept he is a virtuoso, meanwhile no way.
    Pasquale can also play classical guitar (he studied it at the Conservatory of Bologna).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Pasquale can also play classical guitar (he studied it at the Conservatory of Bologna).

Yes i knew that i ve seen the video long time ago. He is not a classical master , many students arround the world can play like that. Is very average, i have heard people with way better tone and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I assume most of us know who Oscar Moore is. All I know is that if that is an example of your technique, please don't attempt to post any actual music.
    Is just a short example. As I said i only practiced it for a little. But still is not a bad example. When you put it at 0.75 you clearly can hear all the notes of the lick so its fine, I just plaid the ending of the run too fast. You clearly doesnt have the technique to play with fingers at that speed,(probably not even with a plectrum which is embarrasing, cause everybody should play at that speed without problems with a plectrum)) so you shouldnt say many things to me. Its not easy to do that, there are not hundreds that can to do that as with the plectrum. Still is far from being my best. As i said throw the plectrum, learn some skills and then talk, instead of hiding with a plectrum and embarrasing yourself questioning something that is far away your possibilities. And dont worry i will post many videos of me showing more speed and better skills, although the video was ok

User Info Menu

Hiding behind a plectrum.

Like Pat Martino? Jimmy Raney? Kenny Burrell?

That Wes Montgomery was a real joke, no technique at all, could only use his thumb.

You might try a bit of humility, it goes a long way.

User Info Menu

...so you’re not focused on music yet, only technique. You are critical of an exceptional player like PG, yet by your admission you’re not even improvising. You have never heard of Barry Harris. And, your arrogance is palpable. From what I see, the odds of you communicating anything at all on the instrument are pretty slim. Better start to actually play music before you start to criticize.

User Info Menu

Very easy to understand.

1) You dont need to be a jazz improviser to have good taste and appreciating music. Its not necessarily related. I guess is easy to understand. PG is exceptional player for you , not for me. Just for your information there are many people who event cant play any instrument and have a good taste, or classical performers who doesnt improvise and that have a good sense of music, as for recognizing that grassos start many phrases in a short period using the same rythm and the same notes, you dont need to be beethoven to recognize how repetitive he is. Maybe the problem is you and your ears.

2) Its not arrogance to say facts, to say that playing with fingers is harder than with a plectrum is it arrogancee? And i repeat it is not harder is ONE THOUSAND times harder. I bet you people are also arrogants for claiming than jazz is better than hip hop... same argument (and of course is a valid argument, there is no arrogance in that) You quote some famous jazz players...as I said before I like django and oscar moore but i dont find his technique remarkable, i just like his musical sense at some extent (yes nat king cole was better improviser than oscar and i think than django too). So you can maybe find many great jazz players that plays with a plectrum and i will say: good music average technique o something like that. At the end the music is the most important thing. You can have great technique and be a bad improviser too. SO music is the msot important thing

User Info Menu

So I get it now, if you focus on diminishing others' technique, it makes you feel better. Makes total sense.

User Info Menu

So I get it now, if you focus on diminishing others' technique, it makes you feel better. Makes total sense.
    crying?

I dont focus in nothing, what do you want me to say? that plecturm is harder than fingers? So is this forum a sect where you cant criticize nobody? is it a rule to admire PG technique?I used to admire Paco de Lucia technique because i know is more difficult than PG. HE deserved that respect. You need to earn the respect. Fingers takes more time but it gives you more reputation.

Now seriously, if you think about it,everything started when i was questioned of why i didnt consider PG as a very technical guy. It makes sense that a guy who put his time in developing fingers skills isnt impressed by a guy like PG

User Info Menu

Lol, look at you talking about earning respect.

Music isn't a competition.