The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Joe is one of the more under appreciated guitarists ever.

User Info Menu

Joe is The Man! Great guy, great player.

User Info Menu

The emcee said "You won't believe this... If you haven't heard it before its going to change the way you listen to music, and I guarantee that".

Now that is some major league hype right there, brother.

I guess he was speaking to an audience of wet behind the ears 18 year olds?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Joe is The Man! Great guy, great player.

Diorio's phrasing is so fluid ....at times he almost sounds like a clarinet. (I love to listen to clarinet...A. Shaw, Kenny Peplowski, Pete Fountain)

Now I know this is out at Musician's Institute--founded by Howard Roberts. And I know HR wore those shades, as both these guys are doing... maybe there's something to it.
    Last edited by goldenwave77; 03-08-2015 at 05:24 PM. Reason: change "a" to "at"

User Info Menu

i worked my socks off on a joe diorio transcription thing when i was first starting to play. shiiiiiiigle me - that was a bad idea i think.

this makes me want to find more stuff by him. he's not worrying about 'over-playing' but - i think that's a very good thing in this case. incredibly clear hearing - lots of very well articulated sounds.

any of you guys who are so defensive about 175s like this (L4) sound? certainly it doesn't have the same nasal thing going on - maybe a slightly different nasal thing going on - but not the same one. sounds to me like he just needs to lighten up on the tone control a tad...

well, the sound is so-so imho, the piano much too dominant, the guitar too flat... but just my 5c.

can I ask - has this 'changed the way you listen to music'? I guess Joe may not have been too happy for that kinda intro...

User Info Menu

love joe but they are more interested in fancy lines than hooking up rhythmically so it feels good...

User Info Menu

Here's another from the GIT vault. When I was at GIT the library had a few videos of Joe and Pat playing, they know each other from when they friends were in Florida.

User Info Menu

Really fantastic video. I've been a Joe Diorio fan for a long time.

User Info Menu

me also !
    HB

User Info Menu

My favorite Joe is his Jobim album. The man has such a beautiful, lyrical touch. I don't think anyone can play sweeter than this...

User Info Menu

Thanks, Flat, that is beautiful.

User Info Menu

I didnt get a chance to listen when it came out last month but if no one told me I would think Undercurrents era Jim Hall (I think he is even playing some of the same tunes)

User Info Menu

I wish the albums Joe did for that Italian label would be re-released some great playing on thoses.

User Info Menu

This is interesting that Joe use long time only es-175.

User Info Menu

I always heard about Joe, instructional books, vhs, and stuff, but I think its the first time I've heard him playing. I like his technique, and some of his phrases are cool, even though some feel like he's secretly a metal shred player. But his tone seems dull to me. I guess it's an idea of many jazz players of a dull tone like that, but I can't get inspired by that. Of course it's a personal thing, IMO etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    This is interesting that Joe use long time only es-175.

When I was at GIT in 80 Joe and a couple other teacher all got deals for Benedetto guitars. Within a month Joe was back to his 175. Later on I think Joe had a L4, but he always goes back to his 175.