The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 77 of 77

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Interesting thoughts, all of them!

I think playing either kind of music depends on innate talent (which for jazz would have to include a higher-level right-brain ability to improvise), and hours of practice.

I realize this is a gross generalization, but it's my observation that the initial focus in classical music is on the technical side, especially technique, then later on adding timbre and emotion to the playing.

If you ever study any classical instrument even for a year or two you know how much effort you must put into the details--how to sit, approach the instrument, hold each hand, strike the string, stick closely to the rhythm as written out, play at a consistent volume, etc. etc. There is little role for improvisation in the modern performance world with the exception of minute variations in timing, volume, etc., all for emotional effect.

On the other hand, jazz is pretty much all about the feel--playing something to make a statement, and while not eschewing the technicals, the fine points of technique are not as important.

Jazz focuses on the variations--I think most jazzers learn a modest amount of technical skills, work on improvisational skills, then if they are dedicated spent extra time honing their technique. Of course any musician who practices 8 hours a day will improve technical skills, but I think it's pretty obvious most jazz musicians don't play or try to play to the technical level of a good classical player.

I think there are exceptions, as there always are, in part depending on the time put into playing a different form. Wynton and Branford Marsalis, as noted above. I saw Keith Jarrett play a Mozart Concerto live back in the 80's, and while I'm not an expert, it sounded as marvelous as any soloist I've ever heard with the exception of someone like Horowitz. It varies a little by instrument. I actually think horn players and percussionists could cross over easier, while classical pianists and guitarists are just too technique-focused to make it easy.

While we all know many, many fine jazz guitarists, some of whom play nylon strings on occasion, it's just hard to imagine anybody playing to the level of a Segovia or Bream or Parkening or Williams. I frankly can't imagine any jazz guitarist wanting to put in hours a day playing this repertoire.

I came across this on improvisation vs playing prepared work, with a discussion of the left brain-right brain differences:

The Two Sides of Music