The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Django Reinhardt's Hand-django-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Probably the best photo I've seen of his fretting hand. He had exceptionally long 1st & middle fingers.

User Info Menu

Never saw that picture before. It's the best shot of his fretting hand that I've ever seen. It looks like he's doing a full barre with only the top half his index finger!

User Info Menu

that picture has clearly been doctored...Django Reinhardt's Hand-strat-jpg

User Info Menu

"Nuits De Saint-Germain-Des-Pres." The hand in motion !.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    Thanks! I hadn't seen that.

User Info Menu

Django had _huge_ hands. Hands come in all sizes, regardless of the size of the person. Jimi Hendrix had very large hands, too. I had two authorities on Django's hands. One was Les Paul, who told me in an interview that Django had the largest hands of any guitarist he knew. The second was my boss, whose ES-175 I owned for about 35 years. This guy used to see Django nightly in Paris after the war. He commented that Django's hands were disproportionately large for a man Django's size.

[Incidentally, Stephane Grappelly commented once that Django's two good fingers on his left hand were so long that he could actually fret the middle finger _behind_ the index finger by crossing his fingers.]

Django Reinhardt's Hand-dreinhardt-jpgDjango Reinhardt's Hand-reinhardt-jpg

User Info Menu

Back to the first photo, note the (probably) cigarette packet paper under the bridge to raise the action. Only Galloise will do!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Interesting that in that video Django's playing seems very economical. He doesn't appear to have many of the technical quirks that you see in many of the gypsy players that have followed -- the exaggerated motions, the extreme RH wrist angle, the picking way back by the bridge.

User Info Menu

Yes, Tal had big hands too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg

Which movie is this from ?

User Info Menu

It's froma 1953 Italian/French movie.

There is also a scene with Sidney Bechet playing in a recording or radio studio and one with Louis Armstrong in a street scene night club.All three performances in this youtube clip.

The movie maker portray Django in a stereotype Gypsy manner, pickpockets and the like. And with Django playing a Selmer guitar. But the music they chose was from one of his last recordings in which he played an electric guitar and the band included saxophones, vibes, and drums. The music that Django recorded in his last sessions really showed a bop influence and, imo, very different guitar playing from Django.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Back to the first photo, note the (probably) cigarette packet paper under the bridge to raise the action. Only Galloise will do!
    Or a Metro ticket.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Elliott
    It's froma 1953 Italian/French movie.

There is also a scene with Sidney Bechet playing in a recording or radio studio and one with Louis Armstrong in a street scene night club.All three performances in this youtube clip.

The movie maker portray Django in a stereotype Gypsy manner, pickpockets and the like. And with Django playing a Selmer guitar. But the music they chose was from one of his last recordings in which he played an electric guitar and the band included saxophones, vibes, and drums. The music that Django recorded in his last sessions really showed a bop influence and, imo, very different guitar playing from Django.
    Thanks Stuart.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tucson matt
    that picture has clearly been doctored...Django Reinhardt's Hand-strat-jpg
    Good proof for the next time you're at a party and some wag says that Django never played a strat.