The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia
    . I think Hendrix is definitely the most influential player in the history of electric guitar. If you go to some of the Rock or Metal guitar sites you find 14 and 15-year old players who list Hendrix among their favourite players.

agree completely. They can try as much as they like; nobody ever has or ever will do what Hendrix did with a guitar. 27 when he died. biggest musical disaster of the last fifty years. I saw him live in Minneapolis.

The other Yes is Lenny Breau!
    Can't resist this.

Lenny Breau lived in my hometown, Winnipeg, for quite a few years. I met him a few times, ( very nice guy, modest, and unassuming), I was starting to play, and like most guitar players in winnipeg, he was my hero.

I used to see him play in Chinese restaurants, at little fashion shows in department stores, church coffee houses, local jazz clubs, on local T.V. We followed him from gig to gig.

Basically you could see/hear Lenny play, every weekend, for years. How's that for free guitar lessons?

There was one local kid who idolized Lenny so much, that he emulated him in every way, right down to the hairstyle (ducktail in those days) and growing the same moustache, goatee, and nice suits. (Lenny was a very well dressed dude)

Once at the Chinese restaurant, I was talking to him, he said "excuse me I have to go tune my guitar" went into a little office, there was a bunch of coughing, then he came out all tuned up.

There is a Canadian National film institute that pays for movies about non mainstream subjects. Lenny used to do soundtracks for them. Course when you saw one, it was unmistakeable, if Lenny had done the music.

I asked him how he did it, (cause it was brilliant) he said, he created the solo guitar soundtrack while watching the movie, and as he was watching it, he said, "I play what I feel".

I still play fingerstyle with a thumbpick cause of Lenny.
    And he played that way cause of Chet Atkins, and Merle Travis. Funny thing.

Any way, It was a privilege to hear him play and for me, he is without a doubt right up there at the very top of the great guitar players, any kind of music.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Markf,

That's a great story and it sounds just like the way I imagine Lenny Breau. Enormous talent and versatility that almost overflows the guy or something. He seemed to have everything going: chord mastery, chops, originality, versatility to play in almost any style. I agree that he should be considered among the very highest players in the 20th century. There is a series of videos on Youtube taken from some documentary about his life which is also top-notch: interviews with Pat Metheny, George Benson, Chet Atkins, Tal Farlow, etc..

User Info Menu

jonathan kreisberg should get a mention as well. i really love this guys playing. immaculate. going to see him in may in edinburgh. ive emailed him and am trying to arrange a lesson while he's up there.

User Info Menu

Saw him both nights in London with Ari Hoenig – both fantastic. Kurt Rosenwinkel was amazing with his German Trio at Charlie Wright’s in London last week. Great these guys are coming to the UK.
    Anyone ever mention Lionel Loueke on these pages? He’s in London at Ronnie’s with Terence Blanchard in May.

User Info Menu

Man, lately I've been liking McLaughlin, Di Meola, and Lagrene (of course many of those previously stated).

User Info Menu

I dont think anyone mentioned old schooler Lonnie Johnson. Definitely worth checking out. He was an ald school blues guy credited with the first single line solos like Charlie Christian.

User Info Menu

The only reason I know of this guy is I took lessons from him when I was 9 years old, he was 13 years old at the time. Definately a very good lesser known guitarist... Carl Verheyen:

Last edited by fep; 04-24-2009 at 10:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boneyt
    Saw him both nights in London with Ari Hoenig – both fantastic. Kurt Rosenwinkel was amazing with his German Trio at Charlie Wright’s in London last week. Great these guys are coming to the UK.
    Anyone ever mention Lionel Loueke on these pages? He’s in London at Ronnie’s with Terence Blanchard in May.
    Boney, why didn't you say hello? David B and I were in the audience both times!

Oh yeh, possibly 'cos you didn't know who I was. Ah well, there's always the next one!!

User Info Menu

Scotty Anderson!

User Info Menu

Pasquale Grasso Amazing