The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 248

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense

I am a little baffled by Allan's apparently consistent opinion over many years that the guitar was the wrong instrument for him and that he would rather have been playing a horn. If that was so, why didn't he start playing one ?
    He has said previously that it was all about the price of admission - there was just no way at that time that his family could have purchased even a serviceable saxophone...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I love Sand and Secrets, and some of the older albums, the new stuff, no

User Info Menu

I have got to weigh in late.

Add me to the list of recent Holdsworth converts.

When I listen to him, the bright timber of the music and slightly digital sound kind of remind me of Hiroshima back in the 80's.
    People called that Jazz also,

I definitely agree with those that call Allan's music a kind of a Jazz Rock. I have to kind of chuckle as I listen because in some of his songs, he seems to be just wailing away the lines he is hearing in his head, and to me, it seems he is going way "out" before he finally resolves back. And he is so darned fast.

Thanks for helping me acquire yet another taste in music.

User Info Menu

I, too wrote a thesis on Mr. Holdsworth and his music. It includes solo transcriptions of "Non-Brewed Condiment" and "Low Levels, High Stakes," as well as some chord stuff. If anybody is interested, you can check it out here:
    http://wesscholar.wesleyan.edu/cgi/v...etd_hon_theses

Apologies for bumping what is at this point a pretty ancient thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by james8382
    I, too wrote a thesis on Mr. Holdsworth and his music. It includes solo transcriptions of "Non-Brewed Condiment" and "Low Levels, High Stakes," as well as some chord stuff. If anybody is interested, you can check it out here:
    http://wesscholar.wesleyan.edu/cgi/v...etd_hon_theses

Apologies for bumping what is at this point a pretty ancient thread.
    Hey there...very nice work and thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

He's incredible. I like 16 men of Tain the best. I don't like the metal influenced late 80s stuff.

User Info Menu

Some of the high points in Allan's music to me have been the Synthaxe stuff - his work on that instrument has been some of the most expressive synthesis I've ever heard, considering you could use vibrato and bending on the strings combined with the breath controller. I don't think anyone has come close since, whether it's keyboards, guitar synths, EWI's etc.

I totally flipped when I heard Spokes for the first time - still knocks me out:

The big personal dilemma I find in Holdsworth's music is I don't know whose playing I like better: Allan's or Jimmy Johnson's

User Info Menu

I can't get down with that synthaxe tone.

User Info Menu

What an amazing world we live in. Hall to Holdsworth and everyone in between. I am in awe of Allan's work, every last bit of it. Especially like it when he comes down to earth long enough to play some standards (None Too Soon) and with some simpler changes (Level 42, Jean Luc Ponty) but I will take it all.

His solo on Michele on the Beatles anthology is mind boggling to me in its beauty. I'm sad that more people aren't hip to who he is, but to each his own.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    What an amazing world we live in. Hall to Holdsworth and everyone in between. I am in awe of Allan's work, every last bit of it. Especially like it when he comes down to earth long enough to play some standards (None Too Soon) and with some simpler changes (Level 42, Jean Luc Ponty) but I will take it all.

His solo on Michele on the Beatles anthology is mind boggling to me in its beauty. I'm sad that more people aren't hip to who he is, but to each his own.
    That Michelle solo is simply gorgeous. Gary Willis is on bass too and I love his playing...

User Info Menu

Allan...Sometimes he just hits a spot with me that no one else does. I can't do it all the time though or I just feel like I'm a resident of Saturn. Love it or hate it, it's hard not to respect what he's doing at the very least

Both his single note and chordal playing are out of this world! I would love to hear him play some Parker or Coltrane solo's note for note, or even more in a "normal" tonal setting. Sadly I think this is a fantasy of mine that won't be coming true...

(I also just remembered my signature has a quote by him)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by euterpe
    Allan...Sometimes he just hits a spot with me that no one else does. I can't do it all the time though or I just feel like I'm a resident of Saturn. Love it or hate it, it's hard not to respect what he's doing at the very least

Both his single note and chordal playing are out of this world! I would love to hear him play some Parker or Coltrane solo's note for note, or even more in a "normal" tonal setting. Sadly I think this is a fantasy of mine that won't be coming true...

(I also just remembered my signature has a quote by him)

you want to check out the album 'None too Soon'

Hello friends of Allan Holdsworth and the art of guitarplaying. I am looking for a complete transcript, tabs for the complete solo on "devil take the hindmost" and voicing for the chordprogressions, have any of you guys ever seen anything like that anywhere?...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia
    Interesting that you say "his fans tend to be huge." I was watching some AH clips on YT and there are only ever two types of comments: "Brilliant" or "That was the worst music I've ever heard" If any artist can polarise people like that , they must be doing something right. I'm not even sure I like him but I've got 9 of his albums, just in case.
    Haha. I want through a period of liking his stuff and I went to see him play in the early 90's once. It was a small venue and most of the audience was standing on the dance floor. Somehow I became attracted to a couple of very cute girls about my age at the time and we started talking. They came to the show by themselves and were big into Holdsworth. I was in a relationship at the time, but I had thoughts of pursuing digits if for no other reason of the irony of cute girls into an avant garde guitarist's music.

Holdsworth is another artist that I could spend some coin updating my library with.

User Info Menu

Are there any resources with folks going into detail - in instructional format - of Allan's style?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

i don't need the chordal stuff. I've looked through the thesis. It's interesting but I'm more interested in someone doing an instructional video teaching some lines in the style of holdsworth

User Info Menu

The thesis looks great. I remember Dave Preston - a terrific fusion/contemporary player who's a bit of an Allan Holdsworth nut telling me Allan started with Charlie Christian but I didn't know he started by transcribing that stuff... Makes sense in a way....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i don't need the chordal stuff. I've looked through the thesis. It's interesting but I'm more interested in someone doing an instructional video teaching some lines in the style of holdsworth
    There's not much. I have pretty much all of the magazine articles published, some of which contain lessons and stuff, but they're a mixed bag. I'd be glad to send them to you if you like.

I think Marshall Harrison had a few lessons where he demonstrated some of his favorite Holdsworth licks on his youtube channel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    The thesis looks great. I remember Dave Preston - a terrific fusion/contemporary player who's a bit of an Allan Holdsworth nut telling me Allan started with Charlie Christian but I didn't know he started by transcribing that stuff... Makes sense in a way....
    More likely Holdsworth learned it off the record. I thought he didn't read or write music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Endorphins
    More likely Holdsworth learned it off the record. I thought he didn't read or write music.
    He played clarinet for a bit and could read music on that. He said reading on guitar was much harder for him, so he just gave up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMuzak
    He played clarinet for a bit and could read music on that. He said reading on guitar was much harder for him, so he just gave up.
    He also played violin....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    He also played violin....
    He played a violin solo on his first solo record, phrasing and note choice are very similar to what he does on guitar.

He's one of the few players that are recognisable after one or two notes. Strongly committed to his own vision - when Miles offered him a gig with his band, Holdsworth turned him down, preferred to tour with his own band.

Holdsworth is one of the very few players that I would call a genius. Totally unique approach to tone, harmony, melody, his approach to guitar. My favourite guitarist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stratology
    He played a violin solo on his first solo record, phrasing and note choice are very similar to what he does on guitar.

He's one of the few players that are recognisable after one or two notes. Strongly committed to his own vision - when Miles offered him a gig with his band, Holdsworth turned him down, preferred to tour with his own band.

Holdsworth is one of the very few players that I would call a genius. Totally unique approach to tone, harmony, melody, his approach to guitar. My favourite guitarist.

I've followed AH's career from nearly its start, and I never heard that Miles offered him a gig. But I also didn't know until quite recently that Steely Dan wanted him to play on one of their records, but they couldn't work it out logistically.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbernstein91
    I've followed AH's career from nearly its start, and I never heard that Miles offered him a gig. But I also didn't know until quite recently that Steely Dan wanted him to play on one of their records, but they couldn't work it out logistically.
    It's true. I have heard the Allan story about Miles before as well from people who know Miles and Allan. Also, Miles offered that gig to Scott Henderson who turned it down as well for somewhat similar reasons:

"I was offered the Miles gig in the 90's after Robben Ford quit, but I turned it down because I wanted to play with Zawinul. At that time, Miles was performing Cyndi Lauper tunes, playing all night with his back to the audience, and pouring beer on his musicians on stage. He also had a front man who was running around like David Lee Roth - no thanks. At least I got to talk with Miles on the phone, but he told me he wanted to play some of my music from the Spears album - I guess that's where he heard me play. I thought if he wants to play my music, he must be really desperate for tunes.... Zawinul hadn't entered his one chord vamp period yet and was writing some brilliant compositions, so my decision was a no-brainer."

Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Miles Davis bands

And stratology, I agree with you 100 %: Allan is absolutely unique and uncompromising in his vision.
    Last edited by tribalfusion; 03-08-2016 at 05:42 PM.