The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

I'm out to buy some new albums and I want to get a Wes Montgomery one... Which Wes disc is your guys' favourite?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Get either "Smokin' at the Half Note" or "Full House"

Wes sounded best Live and live with Wynton kelly's rhythm section. Which is featured on both these albums. Smokin' is probably considered the quintessential Wes album.

User Info Menu

Yes, Smokin' was one of the ones I was considering. Thanks for the positive reinforcement.

User Info Menu

IMHO 'The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery'

User Info Menu

all of the "Riverside" label is better....less commercial sounding....

but anything wes played was never commercial....

time on the instrument..pierre

User Info Menu

Jimmy Smith and Wes - The Dynamic Duo. More funk, less sacharrine

User Info Menu

I always loved his early album called "Movin' Along". Great playing on there, and there's also some killer flute!

MW

User Info Menu

I would have to say the incredible jazz guitar, it really is his best in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Well, Iwent out and got a few: Smokin' at the Half Note, The Incredible Guitar, and SO Much Guitar. They're all quite good. I don't think I could pick a "best Wes" of the three of them

User Info Menu

Incredible Jazz Guitar is my fav.

User Info Menu

I've always liked Full House

User Info Menu

often overlooked:

(haven't been here long--i hope graphics are not considered obnoxious. )

User Info Menu

Don't forget "A Dynamic New Sound" with that legendary interpretation of "Round Midnight" and a couple of other classics.

One of those brothers, Monk I think, was the first electric bass player recorded on an LP.

User Info Menu

The recently compiled DVD with Wes's European TV appearances is a real pleasure to listen and watch over and over again. (It is on Youtube too, but the sound and picture quality of the DVD are worth the purchase.)

User Info Menu

I can tell you which album is NOT the Best Wes. I recently got the album "Complete Live at Jordies" - I think recorded in the 60s but only released about 2003. Not only is this album NOT great Wes, it's barely passable as jazz. I have about 8 Wes albums and this is definitely the worst!

PS: One I like is "A Dynamic New Sound" but I believe this is also listed as "The Wes Montgomery Trio" on some music sites, so if you're having trouble finding it try the alternative title. (One's probably a reissue with bonus tracks)

User Info Menu

I really like 'The incredible Jazz Guitar Of Wes Montgomery' and
    Portrait of Wes (this one acutally because it was my first jazz album).
    Full House is also very good.

all the best, Tobias

User Info Menu

smokin at the half note is my pick

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitas
    I'm out to buy some new albums and I want to get a Wes Montgomery one... Which Wes disc is your guys' favourite?

Buy a few compilation CDs, there's many to choose from.

My 3 favorite Wes songs are: Tear it Down, Movin' Wes Part II and Fullhouse. Impressions aint bad either.

BTW: I picked up a Wes DVD from 1965, with him live in Europe. Great stuff. Nice to see him really playing with the thumb, no parlor trick there.

User Info Menu

Cool, what was the '65 disc called? I might order that one

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitas
    Cool, what was the '65 disc called? I might order that one

It's called "Live in '65". It features Wes with 3 different bands. I especially like the middle band with Harold Mabern on piano. They're all really good though.

User Info Menu

Sweet deal... Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely give it a spin

User Info Menu

No love for Boss Guitar?

User Info Menu

The question should probably be put: has anyone heard any bad or mediocre Wes? I can't listen to some of the later "violin" stuff, but even though you won't find anything spectacular, I haven't really heard anything that Wes plays that doesn't have that amazing sound and the powerful melodic sense.

User Info Menu

I like Bumpin and Tequila (before his big hits)

Wes Montgomery : Discography : Tequila
    Wes Montgomery : Home
    Last edited by kawa; 07-05-2010 at 07:32 PM.

User Info Menu

I confess I enjoy the pop stuff- Road Song, A Day in the Life, Down Here on the Ground. The arrangements are a bit too sweet, but it's still good. I also like Grant Green's edgier takes on similar material.