The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

So I've been reading Miles Davis' autobiography. It's a real m'fer (read the book, you'll understand). Started off a little slow but it's a very engrossing read as soon as he gets to New York. There is some invaluable advice for any musician who wants to play with other people, and even a few paragraphs for guitarists specifically. There are also some shocking stories, both personal (ie, the things Miles saw Charlie Parker do) and musical (how quickly Miles could absorb and become proficient at any style put before him, bar none). I reccommend it to everybody.
    Last edited by gravitas; 03-17-2009 at 09:55 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I used this book in one of my classes last year, but I had to offer a "less adult" bio of Miles for students who would be offended. Mostly because of the scene with Miles and Bird in the cab.

MW

User Info Menu

be careful about taking the book word for word. It was not written by Miles Davis despite it saying autobiography. The entire book was transcribed and embellished by the ghost writer so not all of it is %100 accurate.

Most of the MF'ers for example were added in for the sake of the image of Miles.

Even if you take it with a grain of salt it certainly is an excellent and entertaining read

User Info Menu

I read it years ago...but only remember the story of when his father sent him on a long trip, by horse and cart, I think, for provisions he had ordered. In the shop the young Miles found out he was a dollar short, so had to go all the way back home to get the dollar, then back to the shop to get the goods.
    The moral of this tale: Always count the money, son!

Who cares whether it's true or not?!

User Info Menu

Well, I've finished. There is much wisdom in the book... It wouldn't surprise me if the horse thing is true too. The whole thing really makes you think hard about being white and playing jazz
    Last edited by gravitas; 03-09-2009 at 10:37 PM.

User Info Menu

While Miles was a great inovative jazz artist, personally I didn't like the guy and thought he was a racist, which doesn't work for me at all either way.

User Info Menu

I guess he was a product of his times (and more than a little paranoid). But I can see where he's coming from a lot of the time

User Info Menu

He is a musician, not a saint.

User Info Menu

very entertaining book, and Miles is very complementary about a lot of players, including quite a few trumpet players.

I don't know if he was racist or not, but being black in those days, it would be a little hard not to be anti white. play in a club, not be able to eat there, and have to leave by the back door, how would that make you feel? And that was the least of it.

Another very entertaining book:

To Be, or not to Bop, the autobiography of Dizzie Gillepsie. It's pretty long, and I read it non stop. He's hilarious.

naturally he has a ton of good stories.

also, good, but mostly sad, the recent biography of Lenny Breau. forget the author's name, he's from B.C and it was written in the last three or four years. Not nearly as good as the above two, cause the musician's personal musical stories are not really in this book. Mostly about his struggle with drugs and alcohol.

there are a lot of entertaining musician's biographies, Stan Getz's is good, art pepper's is pretty good. have a good one about charlie parker which is all short interviews with people who knew him.

I read one Ellington one I did not like, left out the interesting stuff.

User Info Menu

I know you guys are talking about the Quincy Troupe book. It's a pretty good read, but as mentioned previously I don't think it tells the whole story. Plenty of good info though.

I was interested to learn how a lot of those Bitches Brew "songs" came into being with tape splices and all. Miles certainly was an interesting figure during his life and he had his share of "problems". I like his modal playing much better then his bop period fwtw.

If you like the Miles' book, I gotta mention a book that is equally important and possibly more importatn. And that book would be Michelle Mercers "Footprints" which is The Life and Work of Wayne Shorter. Great read, enjoy.

Jim

User Info Menu

Is there much about his process towards making music? I love Miles' music but from interviews i've seen he seems kind of like an ass, i'm not sure i'd want to read a book if it's just his own musings - if it's got a lot of musical stuff in it though then i'll probably give it a read.

User Info Menu

Miles was never one to discuss how he wrote music. There was definitely a very involved process with all kinds of theoretical reasoning and consideration of the players in his groups, but Miles would never discuss it. I think he owes a lot of his success to that. It'd be like if a magician told you how to do all his tricks- none of them would be fascinating anymore.

The most valuable stuff in the book has more to do with how Miles selected his bandmates, how he dealt with them on the road, what he as a bandleader admired in his colleagues etc.

Ray C. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seagullc
    Is there much about his process towards making music? I love Miles' music but from interviews i've seen he seems kind of like an ass, i'm not sure i'd want to read a book if it's just his own musings - if it's got a lot of musical stuff in it though then i'll probably give it a read.
    Ian Carr (who sadly just passed away) wrote a pretty good biography of Miles and he deals with the creative process all through Miles' career as well as all of the other interesting bits. Worth a read IMO.

User Info Menu

Joe Zawinul and Miles shared some time boxing...
    what about that?

User Info Menu

Somewhat related, has anyone read Dizzy's autobiography "to be or not to bop"? I watched a few interviews with Dizzy and he's quite a funny guy. Seems like it could be a good read.

User Info Menu

I realize that this is a very old thread but it is a good starting point for my question.

I have almost finished reading "Miles" (the Quincy Troupe book) which has been discussed in detail in this thread.

Recently, I read the (biographical) book about Grant Green (also discussed in a very recent thread).

I have seen many documentaries here in Canada about Lenny Breau and I'm not too sure that I really need to read more about him (his is such a painfully sad story).

I am looking for recommended biographies (or biographical information) specifically about jazz guitarists. This is totally for pleasure, as I enjoy autobiographies/biographies.

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Dave

User Info Menu

What's the name of the book? Need to read it some time!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stian41
    What's the name of the book? Need to read it some time!

One book is entitled "Miles: The Autobiography"
    Amazon.com: Miles: The Autobiography (9780671725822): Miles Davis, Quincy Troupe: Books

The other book is "Grant Green-Rediscovering the Forgotten Genius of Jazz Guitar"

Amazon.com: Grant Green: Rediscovering the Forgotten Genius of Jazz Guitar (9780879306984): Sharony Andrews Green: Books

Cheers

Dave

User Info Menu

I don't think one can consider Quincy Troupe a "ghostwriter" when his name is on the cover.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    I realize that this is a very old thread but it is a good starting point for my question.

I have almost finished reading "Miles" (the Quincy Troupe book) which has been discussed in detail in this thread.

Recently, I read the (biographical) book about Grant Green (also discussed in a very recent thread).

I have seen many documentaries here in Canada about Lenny Breau and I'm not too sure that I really need to read more about him (his is such a painfully sad story).

I am looking for recommended biographies (or biographical information) specifically about jazz guitarists. This is totally for pleasure, as I enjoy autobiographies/biographies.

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Dave
    Bump for possible suggestions.

Thanks

Dave

User Info Menu

The Guitar In Jazz - An Anthology
    Edited by James Sallis

Not a biography of a single guitarist. It's a collection of essays by jazz guitarists or writers arranged historically. A good way to get to know a little about almost every important guitarist and see how they fit into the scheme of jazz.