The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

I went back and re - watched Bruno's video "No Nonsense Guitar." Great, accessible instructions. But, gee, the G - string on Jimmy 's Benedetto is flat the entire video. Jarring.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Jimmy wasn't my cup of tea either, but I don't regret giving his site a whirl.
    Well, it's about nine months later and I have re-enrolled for another quarter with Jimmy Bruno.

User Info Menu

Interesting. I am thinking of at least pausing.

What is your thinking MarkRhodes?

User Info Menu

I work with Herb Ellis's stuff daily. I think of it as my daily bread. But Herb is no longer among us, so I can't get any feedback from him; Jimmy's around and willing to help along folks like me, so I could use a little of that. It'll make me record more, submit things, deal with critiques. A jolt I think I need now.

User Info Menu

Do you guys who are into the Bruno school all switch to using his economy picking technique?

He's definitely a monster, but I'm not sure I have the time or inclination to switch up my basic picking system again.

User Info Menu

I've been with Jimmy for over 6 years and he has never once suggested that I switch to his picking technique. (Not that it wouldn't be a good idea for me to work on it, but I'd say, for the most part, he is focused on musical and harmonic aspects of the lessons and not too much focus on technique... unless perhaps you ask for it explicitly, or you're having an obvious problem with it, or you're so good on the harmonic stuff that it's the next big thing you need to work on.) So the short answer is, no, all us guys who are into the Bruno school do not switch to using his economy picking technique.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    I've been with Jimmy for over 6 years and he has never once suggested that I switch to his picking technique. (Not that it wouldn't be a good idea for me to work on it, but I'd say, for the most part, he is focused on musical and harmonic aspects of the lessons and not too much focus on technique... unless perhaps you ask for it explicitly, or you're having an obvious problem with it, or you're so good on the harmonic stuff that it's the next big thing you need to work on.) So the short answer is, no, all us guys who are into the Bruno school do not switch to using his economy picking technique.
    Thanks, jasaco. Was just curious since he has a very unique technique that he developed.