The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

I really like a guitarist named Rene Thomas. I recently discovered him on a cool video from 1970 where he plays a cool old Guild T-100 (I think).

I have found a neat website dedicated to him also.

http://thomasia.free.fr/accueil.php

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The "Guitar Groove" album is a must have if you like the classic bebop guitar style.

User Info Menu

A coincidence that I was just listening to him yesterday as a member of Chet's sextet in Europe.

User Info Menu

He is one of my favorite players much like Jimmy Raney. Check out "Guitar Groove" for good examples of his playing. It has a very good version of the "Old Milestones".

wiz

User Info Menu

The bassist in the initial video is Freddie Deronde. I played with him and J.R. Monterose a handful of times in the 1990's. His mixing of 'free' and 'form' playing is something I'd definitely be able to take more advantage of today than I was capable of then. As soon as they invent a time machine, those are some of the first gigs I'm going to take another crack at.......

Forgive me if some of you have heard this before, but an insight I got from J.R. into Rene's technique is that he would tie off his strings with a handkerchief and practice his right hand by playing bugle call rhythms across the dead strings. He'd do this for hours while listening to sports (soccer?) on the radio.

Les Lundis d'Hortense - Le site - Freddie Deronde

PK

That's a great organ trio, wow!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulkogut
    The bassist in the initial video is Freddie Deronde. I played with him and J.R. Monterose a handful of times in the 1990's. His mixing of 'free' and 'form' playing is something I'd definitely be able to take more advantage of today than I was capable of then. As soon as they invent a time machine, those are some of the first gigs I'm going to take another crack at.......

Forgive me if some of you have heard this before, but an insight I got from J.R. into Rene's technique is that he would tie off his strings with a handkerchief and practice his right hand by playing bugle call rhythms across the dead strings. He'd do this for hours while listening to sports (soccer?) on the radio.

Les Lundis d'Hortense - Le site - Freddie Deronde

PK
    That's some cool information on one of my favorite players. Thx Paul.

One of my favourites.
    Check out Lou Bennett Enfin,its on Youtube and has Rene doing Moments Notice.
    Him and JR are great.

User Info Menu

Thanks for hipping me to Rene Thomas, I'm now obsessed..great playing. I'd never run across his stuff. Pretty much all of those recordings out on youtube are real gems in my book!

User Info Menu

here's a more or less dormant web site about Rene Thomas

index

that a colleague of mine, who is the world's biggest Rene Thomas fan, put up a few years ago. There are a few interesting tidbits (concert reviews, etc)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Couldn't help noticing how visible his thumb was over the top of the neck. I've often heard that's a no-no and I sometimes try to stop doing it when I play, but, boom, there it is again....
    Bah! Howard Roberts said he didn't care if he had to use his nose as long as the notes got played.

There is a Stan Getz album I have from 1963 that you might have to search for called Dynasty that had Rene on it.

Amazon.com: Dynasty: Music
    Last edited by Flyin' Brian; 06-08-2014 at 07:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I enjoyed this. Hadn't heard him before (-that I know of, anyway.) Couldn't help noticing how visible his thumb was over the top of the neck. I've often heard that's a no-no and I sometimes try to stop doing it when I play, but, boom, there it is again....
    I can't think of many good jazz guitar players who don't have their thumb hanging over the neck. I can't do it, it feel uncomfortable to me, but I think if you look closely very few of the greats keep their thumb in the "correct" position. Joe pass is about the only one that comes to mind.

I notice on the Rene Thomas website that a Stamp was produced in Belgium with Rene on it.
    Thats a classy thing to do for a Jazz Musician - celebrating him.
    I mean can you imagine ,em doing that in England 1
    There are a few clips on youtube w Eddy Louiss,Stan Getz and Bobby Jaspar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    I can't think of many good jazz guitar players who don't have their thumb hanging over the neck. I can't do it, it feel uncomfortable to me, but I think if you look closely very few of the greats keep their thumb in the "correct" position. Joe pass is about the only one that comes to mind.
    I hadn't thought of which ones do and which ones don't. Here's a clip of Herb Ellis (-a favorite of mine) and Tal Farlow---they both do.