The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 92

User Info Menu

The subject matter of his inaugural lecture is: "The Wisdom of Miles Davis"
    Last edited by NSJ; 04-02-2014 at 02:36 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hugely fundamental musical bit of wisdom to HH from Miles:

"Don't play the butter notes" in response to HH's feeling that all his playing sounded the same.

HH interpreted the term "butter notes" to mean the two most fundamental chord tones: the 3rds and 7ths.

So he demonstrates on piano the difference in playing in D minor with and without the guide tones.
    Something to grok.
    Last edited by NSJ; 04-02-2014 at 04:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

I will watch this tonight. How cool would it be if Miles were around today to give lectures like this.

User Info Menu

Very interesting lecture! Cool stories and vibe.

User Info Menu

That was thoroughly enjoyable on every level. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Thanks for this, it was great to hear his thoughts and especially his Miles impression.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting, a great talk in many ways.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    [video=youtube;EPFXC3q1tTg]

The subject matter of his inaugural lecture is: "The Wisdom of Miles Davis"
    Very entertaining. What a picture he creates.

Its gettin' to where I don't need TV anymore. I can just go to Youtube.

User Info Menu

That was fantastic, thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

As everyone else has already said Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Hugely fundamental musical bit of wisdom to HH from Miles:

"Don't play the butter notes" in response to HH's feeling that all his playing sounded the same.

HH interpreted the term "butter notes" to mean the two most fundamental chord tones: the 3rds and 7ths.

So he demonstrates on piano the difference in playing in D minor with and without the guide tones.
    Something to grok.
    I think that would apply more for people who started with classical training. The lecture seemed geared towards them. I can't see that being an issue for others.

Herbie is cool. Good story teller.

User Info Menu

I watched the whole thing. Didn't realize the jazz/classical thing was so strong. It was a real eye-opener. I like playing jazz at home but it's just a wasted effort to try to do it professionally for me. I think I'll give something else a shot.

Good video though. Very informative. Miles was a character.

It's really dissapointing to hear HH admit it only takes a few years to learn jazz if you start in classical. I know he's talking about getting up to certain level in classical. At least he's being honest .As far as jazz being Armstrong+Parker. I agree. That's about it.

Where does that leave the rest of us? Seems like jazz lost some of it's soul at some point.

I'd like to know what's 'ethical' about taking 2 kinds of music, jazz+classical, and institutionalizing it. Oh
    well, back to country, pop or something like that. Rap is becoming more interesting too.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 04-15-2014 at 10:32 PM.

User Info Menu

This was a real eye-opener for me. I suggest everyone watch the whole thing.

User Info Menu

For those who as me are interested in listening to this great man, there are 5 other lectures by Prof. Hancock there :

Norton Lectures | Mahindra Humanities Center

(also on youtube)

User Info Menu

Thanks for reviving the thread, Michael. I only watched part of this originally, but this time got to see the whole lecture. Great stuff.

User Info Menu

Re: lecture ... Christopher Reeve? What?

User Info Menu

I can't wait to hear it. It's been in my list for a long time.

Remember, guitar is very hard. And even if you played classical guitar it won't translate to jazz very well. Very much unlike classical piano. Very different instruments with different techniques.

User Info Menu

Henry, why do you have it in for classical guitarists? You are entitled to your opinion, but I fail to understand the premises. For example, the transition from classical piano to jazz is not hard, but somehow difficult for the guitarists? Why? I did enjoy the HH lecture, btw.

On another thread I linked a performance by a "retired" jazz guitarist who was a session musician and ultimately was working with the great George Barnes in the last two years of his life on music for the Concord label. Bob Burford, who studied classical guitar with Charlie Byrd, plays solo jazz guitar and often with his BIAB arrangements as well. Bob has wonderful taste in jazz tunes and plays in a very classical style in terms of position playing marked by an incredible economy of motion relatively. He plays in a very pianistic fashion, articulating most of his notes with a classical arched right hand. I am going to link his YT video of his solo performance of 'Round Midnight by Monk. Check out the rest of his videos as well, including lovely versions of Here's That Rainy Day. If you can find some "unjazzy" aspect to his playing, please explain. I think he is pretty damn good. He plays with his eyes closed as recommended by Liszt and Chopin.

Jay

Last edited by targuit; 08-29-2014 at 05:36 PM.

User Info Menu

I don't have it in for classical guitarists! I played it myself starting out. But jazz is played with a pick for the most part. The whole mind set for the left hand is entirely different from classical guitar and jazz. Where in the hell do you get the idea I have it in for classical guitar?? The TECHNIQUES and approaches are entirely different. Even the use of scales. I'm sorry but g&r Segovia scales are just not suited for jazz. It takes considerable attention to master the plectrum. PIma is so different it takes away time from mastering it.

User Info Menu

Further, I can't think of many great jazz guitarists who play with classical technique besides maybe Ralph Towner and he's not exactly your traditional swing guitarist.

Classical/jazz pianists still use the same left hand right hand techniques. They can work on a Prokofiev piano concerto and use the same techniques in a modern jazz solo. There isn't an equivalency in classical/jazz guitar.

I've tried to explain this to some of my college professor colleagues but unless they play guitar they just don't understand. The classical repertoire is important to their development in their instrument and in jazz, but this just does not happen to be the case with guitar. Fernando Sor can very easily be ignored.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Further, I can't think of many great jazz guitarists who play with classical technique besides maybe Ralph Towner and he's not exactly your traditional swing guitarist.

Classical/jazz pianists still use the same left hand right hand techniques. They can work on a Prokofiev piano concerto and use the same techniques in a modern jazz solo. There isn't an equivalency in classical/jazz guitar.

I've tried to explain this to some of my college professor colleagues but unless they play guitar they just don't understand. The classical repertoire is important to their development in their instrument and in jazz, but this just does not happen to be the case with guitar. Fernando Sor can very easily be ignored.
    You have a point, the transition may be a little tougher on guitar. My teacher had no trouble but I'm sure many do. The big advantage to starting with classical guitar might be being able to play solo having developed right-hand technique. It's generally tough to play solo for a flat-picker.
    Tough for me anyway

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    I don't have it in for classical guitarists! I played it myself starting out. But jazz is played with a pick for the most part. The whole mind set for the left hand is entirely different from classical guitar and jazz. Where in the hell do you get the idea I have it in for classical guitar?? The TECHNIQUES and approaches are entirely different. Even the use of scales. I'm sorry but g&r Segovia scales are just not suited for jazz. It takes considerable attention to master the plectrum. PIma is so different it takes away time from mastering it.
    I don't know about you Henry, but where I study jazz guitar, the left hand technique is lifted straight from classical guitar. I was taught to use both left and right hand technique found in classical guitar, but I'm not trained in classical guitar, I was taught to use them in relation to jazz.
    Last edited by nick1994; 08-29-2014 at 08:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994
    I don't know about you Henry, but where I study jazz guitar, the left hand technique is lifted straight from classical guitar. I was taught to use both left and right hand technique found in classical guitar, but I'm not trained in classical guitar, I was taught to use them in relation to jazz.
    How so? How is the left hand technique lifted from classical?

User Info Menu

My left hand, in relation to classical, uses the thumb behind the neck. But the angle is much different because I don't use a footstool.