The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 92

User Info Menu

Me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

John and Bucky Pizzarelli, Grant Green, Wes Montgomery, Barney Kessel, Frank Vignola, George Barnes, Mark Elf, among others.

User Info Menu

Yngwie Malmsteen

User Info Menu

George Benson, Chris Standring, Ronnie Jordan.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I went out with a "normal" girl. Actually I don't know if she was normal or not but she was a librarian and teacher. She caught some Mary Halvorsen and some Joe Morris that was playing and she said "I LOVE that! How come you never played anything like that for me before?"
    If she's not normal, should I get out while I still can?

Is it abnormal to go to art museums? If I go to one, what normal artists should I look for?

David

User Info Menu

You'll need this:

Quote Originally Posted by 3625
    Why do you guys think players like Wes and Django have a greater mass appeal?
    I know that the gypsy sound is really big in movies and TV. My kids love it.

If I listen to Django my kids think it sounds like the TV show Monk or Ratatouille. There's even a 'cameo' of Django in the kids movie Hugo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yaclaus
    Yngwie Malmsteen
    :-(

User Info Menu

Is it abnormal to go to art museums? If I go to one, what normal artists should I look for?

Dali

User Info Menu

single cuts of players like mclaughlin - my goals beyond/goodby pork pie hat coryell/elementry guitar lesson #5 some of the players on early steely dan work..larry carlton (jeff baxter .. actually lots of monster players on the dan albums)

many of the players on the "soft/mello" jazz stations..jeff golub is very tasty..norman brown has grown over the years and has a very nice style..

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    I went out with a "normal" girl. Actually I don't know if she was normal or not but she was a librarian and teacher. She caught some Mary Halvorsen and some Joe Morris that was playing and she said "I LOVE that! How come you never played anything like that for me before?"
    If she's not normal, should I get out while I still can?
    Dear David,

Unfortunately, no she isn't normal and your relationship with this woman will be doomed to a permanent state of abnormality. That said, if it doesn't work out, give me her number...

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Again you seem to be confused. No it isn't abnormal to go to art museums but you must act accordingly. Normal behaviour constitutes quickly taking a photo of the 'art' in question on your phone before quickly (I said quickly) moving to the next object of interest. No dawdling. As for which artists? Not important.

Sincerely, 3625

User Info Menu

I find that average musicians of the rock, blues, country, folk variety are easily impressed by gypsy jazz. Most of the notes are "inside" and not that foreign "outside" stuff that they aren't accustomed to. But the general public won't listen to old sounding recordings like Django so it has to be something produced a bit cleaner like The Rosenberg Trio.

User Info Menu

I think guitar in general is usually pretty easy to digest for people who don't normally listen to jazz. People just like guitar, they are used to hearing a guitarist improvise (even if poorly).

But definitely Wes. I mean everybody loves Wes, right? Everybody. I've never had a single person dislike Smokin' at the Half Note. That is my go to non-jazz people in the car album.

The other great thing about Wes is that he did such mainstream poppy stuff later in his career. So, for the really stubborn listener, you can just start with his late stuff and then move backward until you get to the good stuff. Ease em' in.

User Info Menu

Conversely, what music do you put on to get people to leave?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady usually does the trick.

A girlfriend of mine nearly became violent when I once put on a Tribal Tech CD - "WHAT IS THIS F***ING S***??!!!!"

User Info Menu

I don't really think there are many jazz guitarists average music listeners really like. Maybe a few like the guy from the guy from the Steely Dan that have some jazz influence. Most people who are not really into music only like jazz because they believe they are being sophisticated. Kind of like smoking good cigars and drinking fine wine. Otherwise for most people unless they have a real appreciation of music they would not find it more appealing than pop music. 95% of guitar players are in denial that jazz guitar is an art form that exceeds shred guitar.
    Last edited by WESTON; 04-12-2014 at 11:10 AM.

User Info Menu

A lot of my friends don't play or listen to jazz but they all seem to like (probably more put up with) any of the Chris Potter's Underground records. So I guess the average listener likes Adam Rogers and Wayne Krantz.

Although you could argue that those records aren't jazz...

​Nir Felder goes down well too.

User Info Menu

Romero Lubambo is pretty popular because he plays with Dianne Reeves (a great singer).

Check out Romero's free lessons on MusicGurus.com for personal instruction from the great man himself :-)

Romero Lubambo ? The Lubambo Method | MusicGurus

Here's a clip of one of his first ever lessons:

User Info Menu

Russell Malone.

My then 16 yr. old son, who doesn't listen to much music, much less jazz, liked the "Sweet Georgia Peach" album. His favorite cut was "Bright Mississippi"--a Monk tune. There is hope.

User Info Menu

If it's urgent, Coltrane's "Ascension".

User Info Menu

Recently I gave my teenage daughter and her schoolfriend a lift in my car, and I was playing Peter Bernstein's "Monk" CD.

The schoolfriend said 'this is really cool music, I really like it'.

I almost crashed the car.

Somehow I do not think this was a statistically typical response for her peer group.

User Info Menu

Much of Jimmy Bruno's music is pretty well received by non-jazzers.

As for what to play to drive people away? Avant-garde and free jazz usually drives me away very quickly.

User Info Menu

Barney Kessel and Herb Ellis were both popular with non-guitarists. They both remain generally accessible while also being top-flight players.

The big four, I think, would have to be: Django, Charlie Christian, Wes Montgomery, and George Benson.