The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 55

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

the video w/Eddie Louiss and Klook has long been in my 'favorites' on my computer

User Info Menu

So cool. Rene was just awesome...and that 150 sounds soooooo good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    So cool. Rene was just awesome...and that 150 sounds soooooo good.
    when i grow up I'm gonna get me a nice Gibson
    with a cc pickup
    or maybe a slayman 250 copy or something ...
    yeah right ..... !

User Info Menu

Love it. Great sounding lines, love the sound too.

User Info Menu

Just searching around the dusty corners of the internet and I found this, which according to the guy posting is Rene Thomas's Es-150. Rene named it "Bebelle". It seems the person who posted the pics friend had recently acquired the guitar. Anybody have more info ?

Last edited by pubylakeg; 03-18-2015 at 06:34 PM.

User Info Menu

I remember reading in a forum that the French magazine "Vintage Guitare" had an article on the renovation of René's ES-150 by luthier Frank Cheval a few years ago.
    I never read the article myself, and do not think that this magazine is accessible online.... But maybe things changed since I tried to find it years ago?

User Info Menu

BTW, my admiration for René Thomas made me buy this a few years ago. Awesome guitar.

User Info Menu

Hi ES125er, thanks for the info on the magazine article, I have read that Rene also had the guitar refinished during his lifetime. The pic of your guitar is very impressive. Is that one of the re-issues circa 2000 ?
    Last edited by pubylakeg; 07-06-2014 at 06:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    Hi ES125er, thanks for the info on the magazine article, I have read that Rene also had the guitar refinished during his lifetime. The pic of your guitar is very impressive. Is that one of the re-issues circa 2000 ?
    Yes, it is the Charlie Christian model from 2000, hence the excellent condition.

User Info Menu

In case anyone wants to chase this any further, the article on the restoration of René's guitar was in issue #4 (and in French).

"Restauration: Gibson ES-150 de René Thomas par Frank Cheval"

User Info Menu

Rene's guitar has just been revarnished :
    "the sound is better now, and it's the same as
    the 2 Jimmy's one" wrote Rene behind the picture

User Info Menu

Mentioned on the Thomasia website discography, is an out of print CD, called "Hallucinations" by the Rene Thomas/Chet Baker Quintet. I've searched for a copy for a long time without success but, I've found a site with mp3s of the tunes on it.
    Chet Baker/Rene Thomas Live Bologna; Apr. 15, 1962.
    Tunes are;
    Our Delight,
    Solar,
    Pennies From Heaven,
    Donna Lee.
    Here's the link;

http://pastdaily.com/wp-content/uplo...logna-1962.mp3

User Info Menu

Thx Pubylakeg.

User Info Menu

Rene with "the 2 Jimmys" and Sacha Distel.
    Last edited by pubylakeg; 07-29-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Mentioned on the Thomasia website discography, is an out of print CD, called "Hallucinations" by the Rene Thomas/Chet Baker Quintet. I've searched for a copy for a long time without success but, I've found a site with mp3s of the tunes on it.
    Chet Baker/Rene Thomas Live Bologna; Apr. 15, 1962.
    Tunes are;
    Our Delight,
    Solar,
    Pennies From Heaven,
    Donna Lee.
    Here's the link;

http://pastdaily.com/wp-content/uplo...logna-1962.mp3
    Or you could PM me?

DG

User Info Menu

I just about fainted when I saw this !

Gibson ES150 Charlie Christian 1937 Instruments de musique Corrèze - leboncoin.fr

No affiliation (unfortunately).

User Info Menu

Ok, after too much time looking at details, the guitar in post #6 above, and the one linked to in my above post #17, don't appear to be the same guitar, so ​caveat emptor.

User Info Menu

Wondering if anyone out there can advise on Rene's recording with Toshiko Akiyoshi, "United Notions/International Jazz Sextette" Basically I wanted to ask if there is a significant amount of Rene on this recording, ie. does he solo on all the tracks ?

User Info Menu

That was one of the first jazz guitar records I heard, because my father bought that and "A Milanese Story" when they first came out.
    I don't know what happened to it, but Rene definitely gets a lot of solos on it, but I don't remember if he solos on every tune.
    IMHO, Rene's best playing was on "The Bobby Jaspar Quartet- Live at Ronnie Scott's 1962" on Mole Jazz

User Info Menu

Thanks very much for the info, was your Dad a Rene fan ?

I've been listening to "A Milanese Story" a lot recently on youtube. I'm just not quite ready to spring full price for the Collectables label CD release.

User Info Menu

I remember seeing it in a record shop back in the day.

if a record had Rene on it, I usually bought it, I think I have most of Thomas' output.

I'll check when I get home.

User Info Menu

Thanks very much for the info, was your Dad a Rene fan ?

I've been listening to "A Milanese Story" a lot recently on youtube. I'm just not quite ready to spring full price for the Collectables label CD release.

My father was a guitarist back in the 30s. He grew up on Elizabeth St. and hung out at D'Angelico's guitar shop, and bought one back then, which I still have.
    He gave up playing professionally when he got married, but still loved it.
    His faves were Wes and Tony Mottola, but he used to buy records with guitarists if they were on sale, hence the Rene LPs.
    I remember when Rene died, it was listed in Time magazine, and I thought, 'that's the guy from my dad's records'. I didn't know he was that well known around the world, because most of his records were only available in Europe.

His last LP wasn't that good, because he was in bad shape. I almost got punched in the face when I unknowingly told that to a guy who happened to be his son-in-law!

User Info Menu

That's absolutely fascinating on several levels. Most notably, what an incredible story regarding the D'Angelico. Presumably, your Father's guitar would be listed in J. D'Angelico's log books. How wonderful that such a piece of history is still within your family.

I'm also extremely interested to read your comments about Rene's last work. Would that perhaps be the record "Thomas/Pelzer Ltd." ? (I've never heard it). I have a CD titled "Hommage 'a... Rene Thomas" which is wonderful. I believe it was recorded shortly before the TPL record and is a radio airshot from a concert. It has my favourite version of "Round Midnight" by any artist.

My only biographical knowledge of Rene has been gained from the Thomasia website, and that tended towards concert reviews, but was pretty sketchy on personal info about Rene. I'm assuming the son in law you mentioned was Rene's daughters husband ?

I remember reading about Jacques Pelzer in both Ross Russell's "Bird Lives" and in James Gavin's Chet Baker biog "Deep In A Dream". I've seen references to Rene being described as "eccentric", but know very little about his story in general.

I'd be very interested to hear any details regarding Rene's life story.

User Info Menu

I got rid of Rene's last record, so I don't remember the name of it. It wasn't the one with Pelzer. I don't want to mention his SIL, because he's a well known musician.
    Rene was a junkie, which probably contributed to his early death.