The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

I had to post this since I really have not seen anybody else post Jazz that done like this. It was very exciting listening through my Bose Speakers - great sound.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fantastic guitar player, but awful singing/yelling. A few Martino-style lines in there, I thought. I'm just left with the impression though that there is little genuine creative energy there - always following fashions rather than setting them. A classic session-players group. Mind you, he makes me sound like crap!

User Info Menu

The song, at least for me, had its grooving moments that moved me, others were not what I am used to.

User Info Menu

yeah ... fabulous !

User Info Menu

Good stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Fantastic guitar player, but awful singing/yelling. A few Martino-style lines in there, I thought. I'm just left with the impression though that there is little genuine creative energy there - always following fashions rather than setting them. A classic session-players group. Mind you, he makes me sound like crap!
    Lol. OOOooo... Really, someone should have told him to keep from leting it out. For sure, there are some great guitar playing moments, but man, I'm still laughing. Why can't people stick to what they're good at?
    It did encourage me to post something with my own singing, though. Not Jazz, but it's there on YT now. Lol.

User Info Menu

Is his guitar held together with duct-tape?

User Info Menu

He sings better than Bob Dylan or Keith Jarrett for that matter. Those guys have been inflicting far far worse on us for a long time. A lot of guys get passes for a lot of things. He's allowed to have a crappy tone. He's Joe Pass. Or he's Allan Holdsworth. They are allowed to be unrehearsed. They are jazz musicians. Or, we don't talk about those ridiculous records he made in the 70's and the ridiculous clothes he wore. Or how he really wanted to sell out but nobody was buying.

Fareed is great. For just about any artist, we can probably pull up a video of something he or she has done that is far more cringe inducing. Ever heard John Lennon with his wife circa 1972?

When do we give people passes? I don't have an answer. But I think we should be honest and admit that without much rhyme or reason we give people passes all the f'n time.

User Info Menu

I like it all. Especially when he starts double-timing the vocal; it's very rhythmic and reminds me of tabla players. I think it adds to the overall effect, as do the long notes at the beginning. They're not particularly out of tune and IMHO, they're appropriate to the music.

User Info Menu

What's with the duct tape?? Is this a new sound modulation system I apparently have no clue about?

User Info Menu

It really wasn't my thing, a little to repetitive for my liking, but I cannot say anything really bad about it. His vocals didn't bother me either. Sometimes it is way to easy to be critical. Trust me...... I know, I find myself doing it all the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Rob, you have been shown to have a strong Jazz pedigree, so please allow me to pick your brain. Fareed is of Pakistani and Chilean descent and incorporates a lot of "world music" into his songs, as I discovered when I sampled the CD from which this song came. So I would argue that there are points in the song where he gets away from what I call "Jazz," and there are points that feature some strong Jazz soloing.

From non-Jazz specific point of view, would you not say that it is very creative to fuse funk, spiritual chants, and Jazz?

So when you say "genuine creative energy," I don't see what could be more creative than fusing different genres of music the way he does.

To borrow a phrase from one of our U.S. talk show hosts, "What say you?"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Melodic Dreamer
    It really wasn't my thing, a little to repetitive for my liking, but I cannot say anything really bad about it. His vocals didn't bother me either. Sometimes it is way to easy to be critical. Trust me...... I know, I find myself doing it all the time.
    I know where you are coming from.

When I first listened, there were portions of the song that I just had to "tolerate," but once he got to the soloing, more Jazzy part, I felt my heart beating with the strong bassline, and his driving solo with great tone just sucked me in for that portion of the song.

Poor bastard that I am, I'm just a sucker for relentless, driving Jazz songs with a strong rhythm section.

User Info Menu

Judging from the locations of the duct tape, I'm guessing they're cheap make-shift pick guards.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan

So when you say "genuine creative energy," I don't see what could be more creative than fusing different genres of music the way he does.

To borrow a phrase from one of our U.S. talk show hosts, "What say you?"
    I'm not Rob, of course.

I had hard time believing some people can really enjoy a piece of bread with both jam/ jelly and peanut butter on it, but I really do think vodka and coca cola should remain just good friends.

User Info Menu

I grew up in the 60s and 70s, I don't mind vocals that are less than perfect. I actually like less than perfect vocals. they seem very real and organic.

User Info Menu

I liked it a lot, and recognize that he's purposely singing pitches that are using an eastern cultural tonality. Half the world doesn't divide the octave into 12 equal parts.

User Info Menu

I liked it.

User Info Menu

Pickguards? He's got duct tape on both sides of the tailpiece. Strange positions for makeshift pickguards.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    What's with the duct tape?? Is this a new sound modulation system I apparently have no clue about?
    I wonder too. Julian Lage has also been sticking bits of tape on his guitar - It's a mystery that needs solving...

User Info Menu

Fareed Haque, what a monster player!

User Info Menu

Maybe the duct tape are there to hide a few dings that made the guitar unsightly. I doubt it though.

User Info Menu

Haven't got a clue about Julian Lage and his bits of masking tape - but possibly Fareed worked out that certain spots of the guitar's top were causing feedback, and the duct tape helped stop the excess vibration? dunno, just guessing

User Info Menu

i like it plenty...i like trios...i like space in music (which trio format tends to favor)...i liked his vocals, don't care if his voice isn't 'legit', it was simply-honestly human & creative...LOVED the bassist & drummer...don't care whether or not it's considered legit 'jazz'...i like creativity regardless of genre, labels, idiom, classification, etc...i like surprise and kinda NOT knowing what, precisely, a musical effort 'is'...this music had lots of what tickles my ears.
    Last edited by janepaints; 02-18-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Well, the guitar playing is exceptional, and the song is pretty cool, although I got a little bored by the very repetitive structure.

I enjoyed the use of the vocals when he was doing the konnokal (sp?) syllable stuff. I didn't really care for the long tones. It sounded pretty rough. I like an untrained voice when it's doing speech stuff (think, Love Supreme), but don't really understand why they didn't hire a singer who could actually hit the pitches.

I don't buy the idea that it's supposed to be microtonal or Eastern, given my experience listening to that stuff. It's just out of tune.