The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Hi everyone, I've got a thing going with Telecasters and the many sounds they can produce - so re the jazz sound I've heard old clips where the Tele very obviously has the tone rolled right off and even with the amp distorting the sound was still great for swing - so my take on it is work the controls until you get something you can use - I'm using the tone on about 5 or 7 and the volume down to about 8 or 9 on my Strat neck pickup, into a 65 Princeton with treble on 3.5 and bass on 2.5, reverb on 2.5 - the sound is quite usable for jazz and I'm pretty sure the rest is down to the players delivery

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You can only get that tone with a Fisher-Price guitar.

User Info Menu

More like a Gibson Super 400 ;-)

User Info Menu

I'm new to Ed Bickertt, just heard his name mentioned as a great jazz telecaster player, so I watched a video and came here to see what kind of humbucker he used, and why. I figured it was a PAF, and that he used it because of the fatter/warmer sound, and that especially applies to the plain strings - later went to using an unwound 3rd string (maybe after getting the PAF)?

User Info Menu

I think he switched to the humbucker mostly to deal with buzz at clubs with dirty power.

User Info Menu

Easier to get even string balance, too. From everything I've read about Ed written by people who knew him, he was an immensely practical, no frills kind of person. Somewhere there is a wonderful story of Ed being taken out to dinner to celebrate something or another in his career; he perused the fine dining menu and asked the waiter if he could get a tuna sandwich and a side salad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    Easier to get even string balance, too. From everything I've read about Ed written by people who knew him, he was an immensely practical, no frills kind of person. Somewhere there is a wonderful story of Ed being taken out to dinner to celebrate something or another in his career; he perused the fine dining menu and asked the waiter if he could get a tuna sandwich and a side salad.
    I think around here, we've got to get to the subject of the Tele disturbing Ed's mind. Look what it did to Danny Gatton and Roy Buchanan....

User Info Menu

Hmmm... I have two Telecasters.... hmmm...

Bill Frisell seems to be surviving OK, though.

User Info Menu

"I think around here, we've got to get to the subject of the Tele disturbing Ed's mind."

It wasn't the Tele (although I guess you're joking), his wife of many years died, which led to his decline.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    ... Somewhere there is a wonderful story of Ed being taken out to dinner to celebrate something or another in his career; he perused the fine dining menu and asked the waiter if he could get a tuna sandwich and a side salad.
    That story is from Steve Wallace's excellent remembrance of Ed just after Ed passed. The same piece also includes a great story about Ed in the studio with a distortion pedal. I think the distortion pedal story illustrates Ed's relationship with gear quite nicely, and echoes other stories about Ed absolutely not being a gearhead:

https://wallacebass.com/so-long-ed-a-remembrance/

Wallace's blog posts on Ed are some of the best writing there is on Ed, imho. Here are the other two I'm aware of:

https://wallacebass.com/thanks-and-one-more-ed-story-for-the-road/

https://wallacebass.com/flyin-blind-with-mr-ed-at-the-ok-corral/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    "I think around here, we've got to get to the subject of the Tele disturbing Ed's mind."

It wasn't the Tele (although I guess you're joking), his wife of many years died, which led to his decline.
    So you're telling me the book I've been working on for the last 20 years ("Teles-The Destructive Element") has just been a waste of time?

User Info Menu

Lorne has to be one of the least recognized / appreciated jazz musicians ever. Enjoy!

Ed Bickert/Lorne Lofsky Quartet - Album by Ed Bickert - Apple Music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim View Post
    So you're telling me the book I've been working on for the last 20 years ("Teles-The Destructive Element") has just been a waste of time?
    Not necessarily, you could chronicle their unwholesome impact on country music... Mama, don't let your babies grow up and and play tele's, have 'em play dobros and banjos and such!