The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 95

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    It was a double bill. Middle East in Cambridge MA and Bill Frisell's "First great quartet (with Hank Roberts)" was headlining. The opening act was a kid who was the talk of the local circuit but still an unknown. I think he was only 20 years old.
    That night Kurt played a set of standards and his originals and EVERYONE in the place knew they had just witnessed the next new voice of the genre. Bill included. He still remembers that night well.
    Their music has only looked forward since.
    David

On the attached file that's a very young Kurt with his classmate Seamus Blake.
    Thanks for posting – this is great. What’s the tune? – I know it but I can't name it. Do you have any more from the gig?
    I've tried to reply to this already and I ended up replying to the whole thread (apologies, I’m new to this).
    T

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's Yes or No by Wayne Shorter. Even at that early point, Kurt was a prolific composer with a very personal style. He did, however play a lot of Shorter, in his own way. Yes lots of stuff from this time, maybe I'll post some for the appreciative.
    David

User Info Menu

So I went on a bit of a spree scouring Rosenwinkel's discography for anything of interest. I don't really like the vast majority of it; not that I necessarily dislike it, and a lot of it is interesting (e.g., East Coast Love Affair), but it's not something that I really feel compelled to put on rather than, say, Hall or Raney.

But man, Intuit. I grant that it is by far the most traditional playing by him that I've come across, but wow. Brilliant playing, nice lines, nice tone... this album really seems to have it all. I've had it on a continuous loop for a few days now, and it just gets better and better.

User Info Menu

I like that one too (but I like all his other stuff too). I find recordings like this a good bridge into the more adventurous/personal stuff they do: it sets the stage for how they hear things in a traditional setting, which then makes it easier to see what they are getting at in their other stuff. Another example for me was Metheny, who never moved me until I got into the duo record with Jim hall, and now I love all of Metheny's stuff. Look out Jay, you'll soon be wearing one of those sailor hats....

User Info Menu

I love that one. Conception 1 is my favorite track.

User Info Menu

not making any friends here anyway so here goes..

I really really dont like Kurt.. and saw him live and just ... ugh..

That said Intuit is an exceptional album (in more ways than one).

Always on my iphone.. I dont listen to it much but just solid across the board.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dana
    I love that one. Conception 1 is my favorite track.
    yeah, great track, his chops are really strong and his lines fresh. I bet he got an A+ in his bebop class at Berklee
    Last edited by pkirk; 07-09-2015 at 10:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Intuit is an outstanding record and a good gateway drug to all things Rosenwinkel. Surprised you didn't like East Coast Love Affair as I feel those albums have a good bit in common. Most of the KR discography is hit or miss for me but those two are among my favourites.

As increibly talented as he is he'll never be my favourite player. I think I finally understood why a couple of years back when I saw the Hollowbody Band with Scofield and Rosenwinkel. Sco's solos had a clear direction, a narrative direction, a structure and buildup. Rosenwinkel had no shortage of ideas or facitily of course, but some of those solos didn't have much of a direction. And yes, it may just be me that was unable to follow him. of course Bill Stewart was the real star of the night.....

Anyway, it's better to celebrate the things that I like, and Intuit and ECLA have much to recommend themselves.

User Info Menu

I love the chord solo stuff he does on Conception II:

User Info Menu

Yeah, that's pretty incredible, isn't it! I'd love to be able to something like that someday. I don't think he's really breaking much new ground on this album, but as Sam said, just solid across the board.

I do think the title is pretty cheesy, though.

User Info Menu

I like the thing he did with a big band (Our Secret World). Here's a good video from the recording session.

Last edited by grahambop; 07-12-2015 at 07:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    Surprised you didn't like East Coast Love Affair as I feel those albums have a good bit in common. Most of the KR discography is hit or miss for me but those two are among my favourites.
    I haven't made it through his discography, but those two are my favourites as well. But whereas I clearly find Intuit awesome, I find ECLA merely 'listenable' and 'technically intriguing'. (He's really good at comping during single-line stuff. He and Lenny Breau would have had a fun Crossroads-style showdown.)

To be honest, I actually don't hear a lot of similarity between the two albums. If I didn't know better, I probably wouldn't guess that it was the same guitarist playing on both.
    Last edited by Jehu; 07-13-2015 at 02:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey, does anyone happen to know if he is quoting from anyone in particular in his solo in "Dewey Square" above (in the OP)? A lot of his lines sound familiar to me, but I can't identify a source. Or it could be that they just fit so well that they seem familiar. That's happened before.

(And by the way, I'm still listening to this album pretty much non-stop. I did listen to some Lester Young last night, but today it is back to this... I need help.)

User Info Menu

I think his lines sound familiar because he uses a lot of triads or his play turns around the triads.
    I'm big fan of kurt Rosenwinkel, and it's good to see he can play easily bebop tunes in a classic jazz context with his own style.

My favorite album is "Next Step", incredible lines, awesome creativity.

User Info Menu

Yeah, that could be it about the triads. The obvious place he might be lifting from would be Parker, but I've gone back and forth between him and the only Parker version I have and haven't found anything obvious.

Thanks for the tip on "Next Step", I'll have to check that one out.

User Info Menu

Jehu get on this:

2009 concert with Aaron Parks for free download:

Kurt Rosenwinkel: Live At The Village Vanguard : NPR

Here is one of the songs, Aaron Parks' Peaceful Warrior

User Info Menu

Thanks, gggggomez. I do have that full concert and have given it a listen. Like most of his other stuff, I don't mind it... but it's not the sort of thing I really have a hankering to listen to.

I'm starting to think that the only time I really dig Rosenwinkel is when he's not really being Rosenwinkel. I like him when he is being Jimmy Raney.

User Info Menu

Out today.

Kurt Rosenwinkel-caipi_cover-jpg

Kurt Rosenwinkel – CAIPI – Heartcore Records

Most parts performed by Kurt Rosenwinkel. Eric Clapton and Mark Turner both make appearances.

User Info Menu

Mark Turner, cool!

What's Clapton do, make the band grilled cheese sandwiches or something?

User Info Menu

1 Caipi:
    Kurt Rosenwinkel-nylon and electric guitar, bass, piano, drums, percussion, synth, voice
    Pedro Martins-voice

2 Kama:
    Kurt Rosenwinkel- electric guitar, bass, percussion, piano, synth, voice
    Pedro Martins- voice, synth
    Frederika Krier- violin
    Andi Haberl- drums

3 Casio Vanguard:
    Kurt Rosenwinkel- acoustic and electric guitar, drums, percussion, bass, piano, synth, voice
    Pedro Martins- voice
    Antonio Loureiro- voice
    Alex Kozmidi- Baritone guitar

4 Summer Song:
    Kurt Rosenwinkel- Piano, Drums, Bass, Voice, Guitar
    Pedro Martins- Percussion, Voice, Harmonium
    Kyra Garéy- Voice

5 Chromatic b:
    Kurt Rosenwinkel- electric and acoustic guitar, Piano, bass, drums, percussion, synth, voice
    Frederika Krier- violin

6 Hold on:
    Kurt Rosenwinkel- electric and acoustic guitar, Piano, bass, percussion, synth, voice
    Pedro Martins- voice, drums, synth

7 Ezra:
    Kurt Rosenwinkel- electric and acoustic guitar, Piano, bass, drums, percussion, synth, voice
    Pedro Martins-voice, drums
    Mark Turner- tenor sax

8 Little Dream:
    Pedro Martins- voice
    Amanda Brecker-voice
    Eric Clapton- guitar

9 Casio Escher:
    Pedro Martins-voice
    Mark Turner- tenor saxophone
    Amanda Brecker- voice

10 Interscape:
    Kurt Rosenwinkel- acoustic and electric guitar, drums, percussion, bass, piano, synth, voice.
    Pedro Martins-voice
    Frederika Krier- violin
    Zola Mennenöh- Voice

11 Little b:
    Pedro Martins-voice
    Chris Komer- French Horn

User Info Menu

I'm a Kurt fan, but Clapton?! At least that will generate more general interest.

User Info Menu

Hmmm...the music sounds cool. Not really sure about the singing...it doesn't bother me...but I'm not sure it brings anything to the tunes either...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Hmmm...the music sounds cool. Not really sure about the singing...it doesn't bother me...but I'm not sure it brings anything to the tunes either...
    Judging by the "hold on" snippet, Kurt should confine singing to the shower. I was hoping it would be like ...

User Info Menu

And to be fair, I like 90's indie rock--I love a good bad singer.

User Info Menu

Had the chance to listen to the album on headphones this evening. It's a fantastic SOUNDING record. Co-produced by Paul Stacey, just around the corner from me. Paul's a fantastic producer/engineer and a MONSTER guitarist himself.