The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

Jim Hall or Mike Stern or Mick Goodrick

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Two points, one of them deep(aka BS) and the other serious(aka also BS).

First the deep one - when you think about it, the greats can all be our teachers if we listen to them and study them enough. What you learn from them, as with any teacher, is as much dependant on you as them.

As for an actual face to face sit down lesson, I don't think I'd get as much out of a lesson with a great player as I would from a lesson with a very experienced teacher. I doubt that Pat Metheny or George Benson would have any idea how to understand the problems that I have as a player or what to do about them in a way that I could actually make use of. It would be like Tiger Woods teaching me golf - he wouldn't even be able to figure out what the hell I'm doing let alone try and fix it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ColinO

First the deep one - when you think about it, the greats can all be our teachers if we listen to them and study them enough. What you learn from them, as with any teacher, is as much dependant on you as them.

As for an actual face to face sit down lesson, I don't think I'd get as much out of a lesson with a great player as I would from a lesson with a very experienced teacher. I doubt that Pat Metheny or George Benson would have any idea how to understand the problems that I have as a player or what to do about them in a way that I could actually make use of. It would be like Tiger Woods teaching me golf - he wouldn't even be able to figure out what the hell I'm doing let alone try and fix it.
    When you go to what is called a Master's level class/lesson it's more about getting a critic of your playing and tips, suggestions, and getting to sit and watch listen to them play and ask questions. Some who do lots of master classes do start approaching more traditional lesson format.

A buddy of mine took a lesson with Joe Pass and basically Pass asked him to play a song for him. After that Joe's played back the same song (a song Joe had never heard before) in about ten different ways and answered questions about how he approached changing the tune around. To me that would be an invaluable lesson.

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell

User Info Menu

Ed Bickert has rarely taken any students, despite probably being asked by every local guitarist who heard him play live.
    However Lorne Lofsky is a great teacher who was sort of Ed's protégé and recorded with him, etc.

User Info Menu

If I had my time machine then I'd take a lesson or two from some rhythm and chord masters: George Van Eps, Allan Reuss and, of course, Freddie Green. I think George referred Reuss to Benny Goodman and Reuss showed Freddie Green some stuff. Just hanging out with these guys might have been interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ColinO

You have a good point. Being a great guitarist does not mean being a good teacher. Some excellent guitarists are just that, but a few of the names mentioned in this thread are also players with a history as instructors and educators.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edward74
    If I had my time machine then I'd take a lesson or two from some rhythm and chord masters: George Van Eps, Allan Reuss and, of course, Freddie Green. I think George referred Reuss to Benny Goodman and Reuss showed Freddie Green some stuff. Just hanging out with these guys might have been interesting.
    You got it figured out. Being able to play good rhythm will keep you busy with gigs. We all want to play solo, but there are so many horn players out there. Somebody has got to play good rhythm.

Van Eps is just incredible. There is so much intricacy in his chord concepts. Inner voices moving. Johnny Smith comes to mind too. Intelligent, tasteful comping is an art. If you master it like those cats, you'll never be unemployed.

User Info Menu

Ted Greene!

I love watching the videos on his website.

User Info Menu

Granted being a great world class player like a Metheny or a Benson, or anybody else for that matter, does not necessarily
    make them a great teacher. For one they may not have the patience to sit there and explain the very basics while a beginner
    fumbles through trying to play a Dorian scale. Something a great teacher would be required to posses. For an advanced player
    who already has an understanding of what's going on musically I think it could be a great experience to be able to sit down with one of those cat's and get some specific musical questions answered. As long as Metheny or GB were willing/interested to sit down with a player for that kind of thing.

User Info Menu

Great thread.

Ted Greene
    Bill Frisell
    Lenny Breau
    Ed Bickert
    Julian Lage
    Trey Anastasio

User Info Menu

I had the great fortune to study with ted greene for a year..im still drawing on the lessons he gave me..and has lots of lessons on his website...

today..i would like to study with larry carlton..I like his approach to teaching and his style of playing-very tasty!!

User Info Menu

Sheryl Bailey comes across as a very good, guitarist and patient teacher. She can break stuff down and communicate her points very well Gene Bertoncini for the nylon jazz - some interesting ideas. Being a pianist as well Barry Harris great on drop 2 and 3 chord melody stuff

User Info Menu

I would study with Moses. I would ask him where he kept the commandments. Then I would find them and sell them on Ebay. Then I would buy an AMAZING guitar. I'd also re-read them and try to live by them too.

User Info Menu

YOU CAN'T JUST PICK ONE!!!

I can pick Wayne Shorter if no guitar...

User Info Menu

I'd go for Jim Hall as well or Wes Montgomery, but that might be a bit difficult...

User Info Menu

Sammy Hagar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry couldn't resist LMBO

Seriously though Pat Martino would be very cool

User Info Menu

Howard Alden or Joe Cohn.

User Info Menu

Scofield or Kurt Rosenwinkel. I just love their ideas as composers and improvisers. They are both well versed in theory, very intelligent people as well. I think it would be a great expierience with both of them.

User Info Menu

Assuming I can only choose one, I'd choose Bill Frisell.

Every time I've heard him talk, he seems like a gentle soul who could bring out the best in anyone he works with.