The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I really enjoyed these vids - thought I'd share. He knows his stuff - a real pro.

User Info Menu

Wow, these were great!
    Thanks a lot for sharing!

User Info Menu

It doesn't get explained any clearer than this, nice stuff.

User Info Menu

This is cool, thanks.
    I was curious about who he was after I read his thanks to Joe V (archtop.com) for a Triumph he played with Wynton and the JALC.

User Info Menu

Which inversions of the drop 3 chords does he play. He starts with the F7 in the inversion with the 5th in the bass (which he doesn't play). I'm guessing he'll also use the one with the root in the bass. Those will give him the 3 and 7 or 7 and 2 on the middle strings. So just those two inversions?

User Info Menu

Oh, I didn't see the second pair of videos.

User Info Menu

I just looked at the transcriptions of one note chords on the freddiegreen.com site and there are a lot of 5ths and roots too.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the links. Very cool videos!

User Info Menu

This guy is a great soloist too. I have a fine live record by Claude "Fiddler" Williams with Chirillo in the band. Great playing.

User Info Menu

Isn't "comp" just short for "accompanying" whether meant in swing rhythm or more modern (post bop) playing? It seems like a catch all term in jazz chord playing behind singing or other players. *shrug*

Yes, the James Chirillo stuff is very informative. Good study for those backing big band or chunking away in smaller groups or by your lonesome You can definitely scat over the sample at 9:00.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edward74
    Isn't "comp" just short for "accompanying" whether meant in swing rhythm or more modern (post bop) playing? It seems like a catch all term in jazz chord playing behind singing or other players. *shrug*

Yes, the James Chirillo stuff is very informative. Good study for those backing big band or chunking away in smaller groups or by your lonesome You can definitely scat over the sample at 9:00.

Comping is a bop word. It's probably a good idea to just say swing rhythm when referring to the Freddie Green style. I thought Charillo's part about acoustic rhythm was great. I'd go another way when applying electric guitar to the same music.

User Info Menu

Amazing videos!!!
    Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Love these video's.. if anybody has some more lessons or transcriptions from this excellent player i'd love to see/hear it!!!

User Info Menu

Jazz Academy

Just found this.. talks basically about the same things but can't hear it often enough!!

User Info Menu

Great stuff. Thanks.