The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey dj...

Yes everything can become a downbeat... just subdivide. And that does work with most latin grooves... but in other types of music...for me also with latin grooves... I don't want all downbeats. I see and hear some attacks or accents to be relationship to a downbeat. I think mike's concepts are generally for... developing and being able to understand the beginning reference... developing that internal pulse and mechanically being able to see and hear all the rhythmic possibilities from that "straight" reference. Which is what I also believe is where one starts.

Reg
    Yea... Basically he's really trying drill into students that any syncopated music on some level is poly metric and/or poly rhythmic and when practiced/played through that lens (with that quarter ref, 2bar 4bar etc...always running until it's internalized), it will develop a much deeper organic understanding of groove, feel, time, etc.... It's all just a matter of perception at the end of the day.

Mike's a cool guy although he sometimes almost gets a little too new age/hippie for me....anyway I need to pull out the book again because there's some more interesting stuff from what I remember.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey Djangoles, some real good points in your posts here - sounds like you've gone deep into this stuff. Gonna give some thought to what you've said and see where I go with it, Tks

Willie Colon! Time Feeeeeeeel! What a great track - I only became aware of him and that NY Salsa scene from a documentary I saw a couple of months ago. He gets interviewed quite a lot, goes into that whole ganster image thing they had going, lol. It was an episode of a series called 'Latin Jazz'. Interesting how these US musicians from New York were selling millions of albums and selling out stadiums in Latin America yet relatively unknown in North America. He makes the trombone sound like the coolest instrument in the world!

User Info Menu

I'd say good timefeel is probably initially THE most important thing to get down. If you can play with solid feel and confidence, the rest starts to follow!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 3625
    Hey Djangoles, some real good points in your posts here - sounds like you've gone deep into this stuff. Gonna give some thought to what you've said and see where I go with it, Tks

Willie Colon! Time Feeeeeeeel! What a great track - I only became aware of him and that NY Salsa scene from a documentary I saw a couple of months ago. He gets interviewed quite a lot, goes into that whole ganster image thing they had going, lol. It was an episode of a series called 'Latin Jazz'. Interesting how these US musicians from New York were selling millions of albums and selling out stadiums in Latin America yet relatively unknown in North America. He makes the trombone sound like the coolest instrument in the world!
    Yeah I've gone deep....at the detriment of the many other things I need to work on!!! Interestingly I listened to a Wayne Krantz lesson yesterday that I downloaded off his website awhile ago, but never got around to checking it out....he basically says that he really got a handle on his phrasing when realized he was doing the this (metric subdividing) and then really working hard on how to resolve them in 4, 8, or 16 bars. Literally counting out stuff in combinations of 3, 5, 7 etc....but being totally aware of where the resolve bars are, Basically "aiming" for that resolve after the first beat. Good lesson, I think it's $5.....

Ya Willie Colon!! That track scared the hell out of me the first time I heard it....don't know why. Lot's of good stuff of him online. Even a couple of clips when he was like 16 or 17.