The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

which are your favourite biographies of jazz players?

I'd be particularly interested in ones with a heavy focus on the music (i.e. not just the life and times)

cheers.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I most definitely recommend. To be or not to bop -dizzie gillespie's biography, the high life and hard times of charlie parker, and any of the stuff by the guy who wrote "meet me at jim and andy's" i wept when I ready Woody Hermans story

User Info Menu

Wayne Goins' bio of Charlie Christian is interesting. Goins plays guitar himself but he doesn't get as specific about Charlie's playing as I would like; still, it is a bio and not a how-to. Great look at the influences on Charlie's music, including western swing. Very expensive book but I got it via inter-library loan.

User Info Menu

I don't think most biographies can focus on the music too much, and keep an audience. Then again those tend to be academic and scholarly. John Coltrane: His Life and Times by Lewis Porter is pretty good and goes into the music. His life was pretty boring. He just practiced and played gigs after all.

Miles bio is great I thought. Mingus' bio by Santoro is good. I'm mentioned in it as well, I believe. I loved Bird Lives! by Ross Russell. To Be Or Not To Bop by Dizzy.

great. thanks very much for the tips.

User Info Menu

Straight Life: The Story Of Art Pepper

don't say I didn't warn you....

User Info Menu

I was going to mention that one too! Great one.

User Info Menu

"Reading Jazz:A Gathering of Autobiography, Reportage and Criticism from 1919 to now," is a great book.

Reading Jazz: A Gathering of Autobiography, Reportage, and Criticism from 1919 to Now: Robert Gottlieb: 9780679781110: Amazon.com: Books

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    I don't think most biographies can focus on the music too much, and keep an audience. Then again those tend to be academic and scholarly. John Coltrane: His Life and Times by Lewis Porter is pretty good and goes into the music. His life was pretty boring. He just practiced and played gigs after all.

Miles bio is great I thought. Mingus' bio by Santoro is good. I'm mentioned in it as well, I believe. I loved Bird Lives! by Ross Russell. To Be Or Not To Bop by Dizzy.
    I read Miles and 'Beneathe the Underdog'. Those are autobiographies. Mingus's was hillarious.

Almost forgot. I read Dizzy's too.

User Info Menu

Yeah Miles' was an autobio written by Quincy Troupe. Make of that what you will. Mingus' autobiography Beneath the Underdog was actually written by him and heavily edited by some bozo at Knopf.

User Info Menu

Pat Martino has an autobiography that was good reading....if only I could remember the name though, lol!

User Info Menu

3 good books that I've read recently are;

#1 Grant Green - "Rediscovering the forgotten genius"... Andrews Green...
    written by his former daughter in law...

#2 Hank Mobley - "Workout - The music of Hank Mobley" written by Derek Ansell

#3 Chet Baker - "Funny Valentine" - written by Matthew Ruddick.... it's a lengthy book covering all of Chet's european concerts, life.... published in 2012

All 3 books are available via Amazon

User Info Menu

If you're interested in the electric music of Miles Davis, the best book by far is 'Miles Beyond' by Paul Tingen. Part bio, part examination of the music from the Second Quintet onwards, with interviews of just about everyone involved.

'In a Silent Way: A Portrait of Joe Zawinul' by Brian Glaser.

'Here and Now' by Pat Martino with Bill Milkowski. Can be read in an hour or two.

'Beneath the Underdog' by Charlies Mingus
    Last edited by David B; 02-05-2013 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Got the Mingus book title wrong

User Info Menu

That's "Beneath The Underdog" by Charles Mingus. Totally different meaning there. UNless there's another book I'm not aware of.

User Info Menu

I just finished reading "where the light and dark folks meet" by Randy Sandke. It was illuminating and thought provoking. Definitely worth the time.

User Info Menu

One Long Tune, the life and music of Lenny Breau.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    If you're interested in the electric music of Miles Davis, the best book by far is 'Miles Beyond' by Paul Tingen. Part bio, part examination of the music from the Second Quintet onwards, with interviews of just about everyone involved.

'In a Silent Way: A Portrait of Joe Zawinul' by Brian Glaser.

'Here and Now' by Pat Martino with Bill Milkowski. Can be read in an hour or two.

'Triumph of the Underdog' by Charlies Mingus
    I'm watching Triumph now. Didn't know about this.

User Info Menu

Wait?You're talking abut a movie?? I thought we were talking about biographies, as in books??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    I'm watching Triumph now. Didn't know about this.
    Sorry Steve I meant 'Beneath the Underdog.'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Sorry Steve I meant 'Beneath the Underdog.'
    I know this is about bios but I watched 'Triumph of the Underdog' anyway since it came up. It's on youtube.

User Info Menu

I read "Here and Now" by Pat Martino. I had not known he even had a book out.

Loved it, although is some cases, it left me with some unanswered questions - but that's fine. Some things should remain private and I respect that.

As a bonus, it has a nice chapter dedicated to Pat's approach to the guitar, and how he forms many chords based on a few shapes, and even solos with those shapes in his head moving up and around the fretboard. This was similar to the theory he gives in his creative force videos.

User Info Menu

Has anyone read Maurice Summerfield's bio of Barney Kessel? (BK: A Jazz Legend). I'd like to know if it's worth getting. Thanks.

User Info Menu

have find this about Bill Evans, told by his brother wife Harry....just sad

http://www.harryevanstrio.com/The_Two_Brothers.pdf