The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

Just found this, thought I'd share. Julian's always been amazing but it looks like he's hit a new level. Really incredible stuff

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

On top of his game right now....you get the feeling he can get anything he hears to come out.

User Info Menu

very cool trio!
    such a great player @ a young age, yet @ this point he's a veteran.
    lots of feeling too, not just a chopstick

User Info Menu

How about this:

User Info Menu

I think Julian is a very different proposition to most players, I think I have said it before here but he reminds me of Kieth Jarrett, he just seems to have the command of the instrument to play what ever he wants. It's really fun listening to him because his ideas are so clear.

The interplay with his drummer/percussionist is great, they are really listening to each other and they don't get in one an others way either.
    Last edited by Marto; 09-15-2012 at 04:05 AM.

User Info Menu

On this clip, he comes closer to being a conduit for pure music than just about any guitar player I've heard since Django & Wes. There are so many fine players right now and music is not a sport but Lage just seems to lead the pack for my tastes and to have wider aesthetic "bandwidth" than just about any flat picker around. His technique is always in service to the ideas (a novel notion for guitarists) and sometimes the ideas take him right to the edge of the technical cliff.

Last edited by AndyV; 09-15-2012 at 03:30 PM.

User Info Menu

How does he get such an acoustic tone? Is the majority of the sound coming from the microphone?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    How about this:
    I posted this in another thread before seeing your comment. Two of my favorite players so definitely a treat!

User Info Menu

Thanks very much OP.

The music sounds fresh - always a nice thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    How does he get such an acoustic tone? Is the majority of the sound coming from the microphone?
    It looks like he's not plugged in. Seems like it's all mic.

User Info Menu

3625 thanks for posting this.

Brilliant guitarist, and he makes that guitar sound as a guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadellic
    It looks like he's not plugged in. Seems like it's all mic.
    I can see a cable in the end-pin jack.

I do really appreciate his mix of acoustic and electric sounds. I'm hoping to do a similar setup, but I'll use an 'acoustic' pickup mounted under the bridge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    I posted this in another thread before seeing your comment. Two of my favorite players so definitely a treat!
    I won!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan T
    I can see a cable in the end-pin jack.

I do really appreciate his mix of acoustic and electric sounds. I'm hoping to do a similar setup, but I'll use an 'acoustic' pickup mounted under the bridge.
    I was there for the festival and this concert - absolutely fantastic! This was easily one of the best musical performances I've had the pleasure of experiencing. It was special for the band too, the next day Julian was commenting about how they'd never played like that before.

As for being plugged in, I can confirm that he was. Midway through their set, the bassist and percussionist left the stage while Julian did a song solo. On their way off the stage, they unplugged him and he had a false start before having to head over to the amp to plug back in.

I also went to a bunch of his master classes and such, although I didn't play. He was continually exploring the possibilities of music and the guitar, willing to take risks and cherishing new discoveries regardless of the outcome (though the outcome was almost always good!). This was refreshing to see, especially in someone who has quite obviously put in the long hours to achieve mastery. He is also a genuinely nice person, and it was inspiring to meet him and have a chance to learn from him.

User Info Menu

Wow thanks for this. Julian is now becoming my favourite guitarist. Every time I hear him play I light up inside. He has such a unique sound and is great at blending different musical styles together.

User Info Menu

He's going to go down as the greatest...

User Info Menu

Oh wow crazy That was some crazy playing.

User Info Menu

I really need to thank the OP (again) because this thread has got me listening to a lot more Julian Lage.

I hope this is not common knowledge here and I'm just the last to know, but I notice what I think is a classical flavor in his playing. His tunes often have the feel of carefully worked out arrangements - as a framework for lovely ensemble playing and soloing of course. Also - mainly because of his work with Gary Burton - I find myself hearing MJQ when I listen to Julian.

-- my two cents.

User Info Menu

High Speed Spoon said:

I notice what I think is a classical flavor in his playing.

Fully agree.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gcb
    High Speed Spoon said:

Fully agree.
    Interesting. What makes you think so in terms of his approach? What do you hear, harmonically?

User Info Menu

One thing I hear in his music is a real sense of counterpoint in his lines...

User Info Menu

Agree with Mr. Beaumont on the use of counterpoint.

Also some flamenco reminiscence in the opening bars and throughout the piece (talking about 223 Butler.

The use of melodic minor scale.

Besides, that, technique.

User Info Menu

It's in lage's bio that he studied classical guitar at the San Francisco Conservatory of Music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    One thing I hear in his music is a real sense of counterpoint in his lines...
    This is an issue that has fascinated me. Two lines moving, incidentally or sonorously, counterpoint or polyphony. Really, that's all we can hope for on the guitar, 2 lines.

I was messing around with a technical exercise and quickly realized I could make it into a diatonic exercise of two lines moving in contrary motion, in all 12 keys (same rhythm value): from m3 to P5 to M7 to 11 to (octave + M6) to (2 octaves + m3). I have no idea how to translate this into counterpoint, but at least its a start: (diatonic, same harmony, two lines moving apart or closer, etc). It's actually pretty easy to practice in all 12 keys, if you find the tonic note on the 3rd string.

Anyway, thought I'd attach it, if any one is interested. Apologies if its too obvious, but it seemed useful to me.

User Info Menu

He's the first young player in a long time who strikes me as really meriting the adjective 'great' - as someone else said, he's up there with Django and Wes - it's about time we had someone of that calibre on the jazz scene again, and now we have.