The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedSpoon
    … I notice what I think is a classical flavor in his playing. His tunes often have the feel of carefully worked out arrangements ... Also - mainly because of his work with Gary Burton - I find myself hearing MJQ when I listen to Julian. …

My remark was based mainly on the feel of the music, but also on one MJQ album in particular, The Comedy:

Back in the day I wore that album out in vinyl. I always felt John Lewis' somewhat classical imprint on the MJQ output, sometimes more and other times less, but it is very evident in The Comedy.

I know what counterpoint is from other musical training, but I was not explicitly aware of it - so thanks to Mr B for mentioning it. I did notice the Flamenco, which reminds me of classical guitar, and I noticed the the melodic minor scales too, but I don't associate them with classical music more than jazz.

Anyway, my remark was based on mainly feeling a classical vibe, and as often happens here, I learned something.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Julian Lage is a fantastic player. He (in my humble blah blah blah) brings a "Jes ne se qua" to the conversation. I'm quite certain I misspelled that.
    regardless, He's F*&KING amazing.
    Now if he would only apprentice with Frank Vignola.....
    Hah, I kid. He's doing great as he is.
    "Gladwell" is a Tour De Force.
    Okay...all frenched out now...

Ask me about pleated chef hats and eggs some time...