The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 54

User Info Menu

Been looking for a transcription of this tune...any help from anyone....this is the only one I can't find but the most desireable to me...Pierre

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I found some guitartabs on the net, but they were not accurate to my taste. So I adjusted one, it was made a while ago, I'm not sure if it's completely accurate, but then it can well serve as a basis for further study I guess!
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Here's a transcription of the Midnight Blue head I did a while ago. Sorry the scan is kind of light.
    Last edited by funnyval; 11-09-2008 at 12:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's what I hear as a basic outline of the entire tune form:

Intro:
    F-7 G-7 | Ab G-7 | F-7 G-7 | Ab G-7 |
    F-7 G-7 | Ab G-7 | F-7 G-7 | Ab G-7 |

Head:
    F-7 G-7 | Ab C7 | F-7 G-7 | Ab C7 |
    F-7 G-7 | Ab C7 | C7 Bb7 | F-7 |
    Db7 | C7 | F-7 | Bb7 |
    Bb-7 | Db7 | C7 | F-7 C7 | ...repeat... |

Solo:
    F-7 G-7 | Ab | F-7 G-7 | Ab |
    G-7b5 | C7 | F-7 | F-7 |
    Bb-7 | Bb-7 | Db7 | C7 | ...repeat... |

F-7 | F-7 C7 | F-7 | F-7 C7 |
    F-7 G-7 | Ab Bb-7 | Db7 C7 | F-7 |
    Db7 | C7 | F-7 | Bb7 |
    Bb-7 | Ab-7 | G-7b5 | C7 |

F-7 G-7 | Ab Bb-7 | Db7 C7 | F-7 C7 |
    F-7 | F-7 C7 | F-7 | G-7b5 C7 |

Db7 | C7 | F-7 | Bb7 |
    Bb-7 | Ab-7 | C7 | F-7 C7 |

Head (except bar 16):
    Outro: (same chords as Intro, repeat and fade)
    Last edited by funnyval; 06-20-2009 at 10:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Little Jay...funnyval...a million thanks....man I love this site...I have learned so much in so little time...I have to come back daily because I can't remember all in one day....pierre...

User Info Menu

Brilliant stuff guys!!! I am in the process of putting together a group and this was one of the first tunes that we were looking at doing, so this couldn't be better timed or more helpful.

User Info Menu

Hey mango...try Chitlens Con Carne too..and an easy Saturday Night Out...from the same album (yea I have the LP)...play on man...pierre

User Info Menu

You're welcome guys, have fun. If you haven't checked them out yet, Matt's lessons on Minor Blues chords and scales on this site are great for this tune.

User Info Menu

Not all the links work as this site is now gone:
    Musical Transcriptions
    But there is some Burrell.

User Info Menu

This is why I joined- I was looking for a trans. of Midnight Blue- I made one, but can't find it ( a touch of C.R.S. as I get older) Thanks, Funnyval!
    And thanks, Little Jay, though yours came out w/o staff lines-!

User Info Menu

I love this tune! Thanks for the charts guys. They really helped me get a bead on this one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tommymeboy
    This is why I joined- I was looking for a trans. of Midnight Blue- I made one, but can't find it ( a touch of C.R.S. as I get older) Thanks, Funnyval!
    And thanks, Little Jay, though yours came out w/o staff lines-!

??? Does it? When I click on it, it looks fine......

User Info Menu

Problem solved, Little Jay- I had opened it in Preview (I have a Mac) and that's usually OK, but I tried it again w/ Adobe, and that did the trick.

User Info Menu

Thanks Little Jay and Funnyval for Midnite Blue....Harry

I know the Thread is a little old. But could someone still help me get a full "Leadsheet" (chords and maybe notation of the notes in the Head)
    Thanks for the stuff above, really helped me a lot, but i cant find a whole Leadsheet anywhere.
    Thanks in Advance!

User Info Menu

Let me see if I can put in Sibelius for and make a proper "Real-book-style" leadsheet!

I'll get back to you!

User Info Menu

Better late than never...

User Info Menu

Fantastic Guys, I got a decent Guitar Pro Tab but learning to sight read so was very helpful to get some of the notation by itself, an amazing tune, and his tone...
    Last edited by Cjazz; 03-07-2011 at 08:44 AM.

User Info Menu

For anyone who's interested, here's a little handout I did up for one of my students - basic head with TAB and some simplified blowing changes.

The bass player mixes it up on the B section in the original recording, playing some substitutions but these changes are a good starting place.

Might come in handy for any teachers out there...

I've been looking for this too for my students, strange that it's not in the real books, I love that album!

Morten Faerestrand,
    the "practice blog": Morten Faerestrands «Practice Blog»

hi guys i'm new that's my first post, may be i've got my answer in the URL, but i'll try i'm looking for a partiture or just a smooth way of playng MIDNIGHT BLUES on my double bass but i just can't figure it out, hope someone's gonna help me, CHEERS MATES

User Info Menu

melody, bass line, and changes to midnight blue (and chitlins con carne) are in this:

Amazon.com: The All-Jazz Real Book (C Version) (9781883217143): Chuck Sher: Books

The All-Jazz Real Book | Sher Music Co.

User Info Menu

Haha oops... I wish I had found this before I transcribed this the other day. Fortunately this gave me a chance to check my work. Thanks guys! There's another tune on that album I like, I think its called Kenny's Sound. Anyone have a lead sheet to that before I write that one down?

User Info Menu

Joerg Heuser sells transcriptions of all of that album and gives the one for Soul Lament away free
    KENNY BURRELL - Soul Lament
    He sells a set of transcriptions of the whole album for 13 euro or 20 dollars.
    The Pat Martino transcription site & the Grand Central homepage
    No I am not his agent or business manager.

User Info Menu

Hey, it's in the All Jazz Realbook too: http://cdn.freehandmusic.com/preview...herajrb296.png

Had I known before making my own sheet.....

(But at least I got some more practise in transcribing....)

*edit: oops, Randalljazz noticed already too.....
    Last edited by Little Jay; 06-15-2011 at 02:20 PM.