The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 43

User Info Menu

I came across this. Bruce Foreman has released a new CD and took a photo opportunity with Barneys ES 350.

Look at that cheesy smile. Lucky bleeder!

Here's the famed selmer belonging to Stocholo Rosenberg, I think its production number was very close to that of Djangos #504 selmer on show at "Cité De La Musique" in Paris.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow!! How did Foreman get so dang lucky to play that horn? I wonder how high the action is.

User Info Menu

I'm convinced that Barney alternated two of these ES 350's.

If you look at footage in chronological order you might notice that a third hole where a tone or volume control might have once been, appears then disappears then appears again. The finish also changes from time to time.

DG

User Info Menu

he only had the one ES-350.
    but he had it refinished 4 or 5 times over the years....

User Info Menu

Holes don't normally appear then disappear..........

Take a look at the pictures on pages 110 and 111 of the "Just Jazz Guitar" Barney Kessel Collectors Edition?

DG
    Last edited by daveg; 07-31-2012 at 08:06 AM.

User Info Menu

don't have it Dave, but it's possible that the hole was filled when it was refinished

User Info Menu

PLEASE take a closer look at the picture in the link above which is current?

Give me a little while to scan the pictures.

DG

User Info Menu

Here you go, 4 pictures:

These are in chronological order.

I have a "Club Date" video of Barney with Herb from the 90's on which he is playing the one with the "hole" - it seems to be plugged with something. The last picture was taken by Just Jazz Guitar editor Ed Benson in the late 90's.

In one of the articles in the special edition Barney is quoted as saying that he "thinks" he bought it around 1947. That's a long time to be gigging with the same guitar as much as Barney did and it would have made sense to have one for standby "just in case". I believe that the "standby" is what we are seeing in the picture at the top of the page. Whether or not the original still exists is anyone's guess.

Notice that the CC Pickup sits squarer in the hole in the "original es350" than in the one with the hole?

DG
    Last edited by daveg; 07-31-2012 at 10:35 AM.

User Info Menu

The night of 28 to 29 May 1985 I had the memorable experience of being at "Lush Life" in Greenwich Village New York where Barney Kessel and Herb Ellis performed three consecutive shows. They had the kindness to invite me to their table during the intermission from the second to the last entrance. Even the time elapsed I find that the guitar showed in DAVEG's third photo, corresponding to the Hamburg concert, is very similar to the one Barney played at that show. We did talk about guitars also. At that time I was the proud owner of a Norlin Super 400 that had to sell in 1991.

User Info Menu

Check the pictures and the different position markers on the fingerboard.

I seem to remember that Barney had a new fingerboard with a different scale length to the original put on way back when he first got a es350. Can any one back that up?

User Info Menu

Oh, and he filed out a notch in the pickup blade under the B string in an attempt to balance the string response through an amp!
    My kinda guy! If you don't like the feel or tone of a guitar then beat it into submission with mods until it responds the way you want it to.

User Info Menu

I found this fingerboard dot thing really interesting.

Check these vids

7 dots

10 dots

Of course we could have a re-boarded fingerboard over time.

An over used clip but go to .35" and you'll see the mystery third hole!

Also... (quoted from google search)
    Barney's es 350 was modified by late Milt Owens who also worked as luthier in his Music City on Sunset Blvd in late 60s. the rosewood fingerboard was changed to ebony board, the bridge was carved from Maccasar ebony by Milt

And that guitar may have been strummed by Django himself......

User Info Menu

Re: the fingerboard - you might be thinking of what Tal Farlow did?

You can just see that guitar in the Lenny Breau / Tal Farlow clip.

DG

User Info Menu

"Oh, and he filed out a notch in the pickup blade under the B string in an attempt to balance the string response through an amp!"

the pickup was like that originally, they were made that way for a year or so in the prewar era. there was another CC p.u. installed later.

User Info Menu

2.58 for the filed notch on the pickup which isn't apparent on all the above photos or clips!
    Looks like Barney is a modding monster!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "Oh, and he filed out a notch in the pickup blade under the B string in an attempt to balance the string response through an amp!"

the pickup was like that originally, they were made that way for a year or so in the prewar era. there was another CC p.u. installed later.

Is it a self inflicted notch? What do you think??

The whole pickup looks marked!

User Info Menu

I had not noticed before that the p/u was much closer to the end of the f/b than it ended up later.

DG

User Info Menu

fun thread but I'm still going to disagree Dave.

if you look very, very, closely in the Oct 5 pic you can faintly see the outline of where the hole was plugged in a line straight down from the knobs. in the other pics it looks like it was plugged w/ some sort of raised plug

he didn't have two CC p.u. 350's custom made in the late 40's. the only other known one was custom ordered by Hank Garland and pictured on his Jazz Winds and Unforgettable Guitar lp covers.

Song of the Day (July 7, 2012): Hank Garland – Call D. Law | Don Anton

this is the only video I've ever seen of him playing something besides his 350, likely made when his guitar was in the shop

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon

Yup. That was the ones made in 1938. I have one of those retrofitted (before my time) in an old 1934 L37. It helps the B string volume to get in balance. On my sample, the low E string is too loud however, so this guitar and its PU is more a museum piece for me than a utility guitar. Whatever, Barney surely could make it work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow

Is it a self inflicted notch? What do you think??

The whole pickup looks marked!
    Is it a self inflicted notch? Can anyone confirm? The picture looks from the late 60's.

User Info Menu

I think that what you are seeing is something which is "wrapped" over the blade under the second string.

The picture on the front cover of the JJG Collectors issue clearly shows an UN-notched pu in the es350 with the hole. It is the same as the guitar pictured in the late 90's by Ed Benson - no notch.

DG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by daveg
    I think that what you are seeing is something which is "wrapped" over the blade under the second string.

The picture on the front cover of the JJG Collectors issue clearly shows an UN-notched pu in the es350 with the hole. It is the same as the guitar pictured in the late 90's by Ed Benson - no notch.

DG
    If there was something "wrapped" then it would have to effect the magnetic flux from the steel blade.

Did you check the vid I posted? I think it was from a VHS tape, I've got a DVD of that gig, I'll have to search for it and get back to you.

User Info Menu

Dave, the b/w 1973 picture has a notched blade and what looks like white play dough under the treble side of the pickup and the sunburst spray pattern looks tear drop shaped where as the last one you show the pattern seems to follow the shape of the guitar.
    Boy, this is really cool. He seems to have had a lot done to this guitar. How much of the original guitar is left?
    He did have his own guitar shop in Hollywood in the late 60's so there could have been many different mods done to that ole' guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    He did have his own guitar shop in Hollywood in the late 60's so there could have been many different mods done to that ole' guitar!
    .....or even "those old guitars"?

Depending on the material used it would have reduced the predominance of the B string without needing surgery. An old trick.

Another line of thought - the one without the hole always has a truss rod cover. The one with the hole never (?) has a truss rod cover.

DG
    Last edited by daveg; 08-02-2012 at 03:33 AM.

User Info Menu

I have just spend a few hours browsing through all of the Kessel Video that I have looking at Barney's Guitar and can report:

It was still a "Gibson ES350" when Barney toured with George Wein in 1969.

In some 1973 footage (Legends of Jazz Guitar 1) it can be clearly seen that the pickup is definitely "notched" at the second string - the "Gibson" had disappeared.

In an Oscar Peterson Trio session from Scott's Club in London 1977 (BBC) the notching is again seen as well as the "blue tack" providing some vibration resistance at the treble side of the pickup.

The "hole" first appeared around 1979.

After much searching there doesn't appear to be any footage which supports the re-appearance of a "non-holed" ES350. The photo above which gave me so much trouble - the one marked 1987 in the JJG Collector's Edition was most likely taken on the Great Guitars European Tour in 1976-1977 and wrongly dated.

DG
    Last edited by daveg; 08-02-2012 at 11:54 AM.