The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29
    I am looking for a list of guitarists who regularly incorporate sweep picking into
    their playing. So far, my list is just 2:

Frank Gambale
    Jimmy Bruno

Does anyone know any others?
    I am looking for a possible future teacher for my prodigy son.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Just out of curiosity why is sweep picking a quality that you look for in a jazz guitar teacher?

Quote Originally Posted by Tbirdjazzguitar
    Just out of curiosity why is sweep picking a quality that you look for in a jazz guitar teacher?
    He is an economy picker with Heavy Metal Tendencies.

Sweep Picking:

2-Handed Tapping Blue Bossa:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizardmentor
    He is an economy picker with Heavy Metal Tendencies.
    Join the Jimmy Bruno Guitar Workshop -- Learn Jazz Guitar | Jimmy Bruno Guitar Workshop -- he can learn music and receive feedback from one of the best jazz teachers around.

Of course, one of Jimmy's first comments will likely be, "Cut that out!" but that's OK.

[And no, I have no official connection with the JBGW, so this is not a commercial]

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Join the Jimmy Bruno Guitar Workshop -- Learn Jazz Guitar | Jimmy Bruno Guitar Workshop -- he can learn music and receive feedback from one of the best jazz teachers around.

Of course, one of Jimmy's first comments will likely be, "Cut that out!" but that's OK.

[And no, I have no official connection with the JBGW, so this is not a commercial]
    Interesting idea and it's not too expensive. After watching the sample videos though, it seems like a good ad for Band-in-a-Box.

User Info Menu

I am looking for a list of guitarists who regularly incorporate sweep picking into
    their playing. So far, my list is just 2:

Frank Gambale
    Jimmy Bruno

Does anyone know any others?
    I am looking for a possible future teacher for my prodigy son.
    Morten Faerstrand is one of the best sweep pickers that I have EVER heard playing Jazz. He is on the Gambale band wagon. He is an excellent teacher and a great guy as well. Your son could do much worse. Morten does skype lessons, as do several other excellent teachers in this site. He also does free lessons that he posts on youtube. These are just examples of his fusion stuff. His straight Jazz playing is phenomenal.

Last edited by brwnhornet59; 08-09-2011 at 12:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Howard Roberts, Barney Kessel.

User Info Menu

you're going to find a lot of Guitarists in Jazz encorporate sweep techniques into their playing. Perhaps not big 6 string arps but it's something that is useful to get some bursts out in that sort of 'tenor sax' phrasing unless you have simply prodigious right hand technique.

It's also a really useful articulation even with 8th notes or smaller then 16th subdivisions, Scofield uses sweeps in this manner really well. Heck, there are even some popular Jim Hall sweep licks from his 70's albums but no he's not wailing out bar after bar of 32nd note sweeps... but the technique applies.

If you want insane sweeping and Legato stuff, Holdsworth wins I think.

User Info Menu

Just tell your son to transcribe some Holdsworth, that should keep him occupied for the rest of his life.

In all seriousness though, why look for JUST sweep picking as a quality in a teacher? That can be learned on one's own, and it already appears that your son has the basic technique down. Applying it to jazz is a whole other animal because the rhythmic/note groupings are different, but that can be easily adapted if you have the basic technique down. I would search for a teacher that focuses more on repertoire and musicality rather than sheer technique.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Hanlon
    you're going to find a lot of Guitarists in Jazz encorporate sweep techniques into their playing. Perhaps not big 6 string arps but it's something that is useful to get some bursts out in that sort of 'tenor sax' phrasing unless you have simply prodigious right hand technique.

It's also a really useful articulation even with 8th notes or smaller then 16th subdivisions, Scofield uses sweeps in this manner really well. Heck, there are even some popular Jim Hall sweep licks from his 70's albums but no he's not wailing out bar after bar of 32nd note sweeps... but the technique applies.

If you want insane sweeping and Legato stuff, Holdsworth wins I think.
    I am inclined to agree. I was transcribing some Holdsworth the other night and his sweep/legato shapes are insane. The particular run I am referring to is the opening solo phrase in the song City Nights. Just nuts.

Sounds great, I'll check these guys out. Dale and I both like Morten Faerstrand - ability and temperament. He has online "Master Classes" every Sunday.

User Info Menu

I don't think you can go wrong with Morten...he's a member here as well, and I've always found his posts to be really insightful and well explained, I'd imagine that carries over into his teaching.

User Info Menu

Sounds great, I'll check these guys out. Dale and I both like Morten Faerstrand - ability and temperament. He has online "Master Classes" every Sunday.
    Yes indeed he has those Master Classes. Sensei is the whip!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I don't think you can go wrong with Morten...he's a member here as well, and I've always found his posts to be really insightful and well explained, I'd imagine that carries over into his teaching.
    Yes indeed. When he first started his videos blogs on youtube, he threw you to the wolves. He would explain very little. He did it on purpose. But now he is taking the time to really open up about his awesome technique. I have followed Morten for a year now. He is the main reason I started playing again. His approach is extremely unusual and melodic. His technique is maddening.

But there are some other really awesome players and teachers on this site as well. What made me choose Morten for your son was the sweeping. No matter where you take him, best of luck!!

User Info Menu

Kevin O'Neil

I was also going to mention Mark O'Leary but after listening to a couple of tracks, I'm not sure he uses sweeps so commonly. Example 1. Example 2.

User Info Menu

Fine playing. Does he teach on Skype or online?

User Info Menu

Adam Rodgers, Isaac Darsch, Sheryl Bailey

User Info Menu

My experience as a teacher, especially of middle/high school students that are serious about playing the guitar, is to buckle down with reading music proficiently on the guitar and develop other areas of playing music. I can't tell you how many kids walk through my door that can fly through Dream Theatre without missing a note, but can't play basic scales, improvise, or even play something very simple.

It's one thing to follow some tab and learn to shred through 32nd note sweeps all over the fretboard, which is cool, but not the most useful thing in the world. It seems like he can already do that, and do it pretty well, and it'll most likely get better as he gets older on its own. Now sounds like an opportune time, since he seems to be very dedicated, to push him into developing his reading skills, his improvisational skills, and his ear. As a working guitarist, reading music and playing a variety of styles is one of the most useful things you can do. He might not get turned onto jazz right away, as most young guitarists don't, but he might enjoy somebody like Frank Gambale, Steve Lukather, etc...

If you have a local college or University, it may not be a bad idea to see who the guitar teacher there is and do lessons. There's a lot of great players out there in any town, and I've always found one on one interaction between a teacher and a student to be the most beneficial thing. Online guitar schools are a great resource for players of all levels, but I don't think anything truly replaces having a teacher in the same room.

User Info Menu

Jimmy Bruno truly is the man. I've studied with him off and on for 2 years. He's a great teacher and amazing player!

User Info Menu

I'll second that, ybjazz..! Also check out the awesome picking technique of the Gypsy Jazz Players like Biréli Lagrène, Angelo Debarre, Stochelo Rosenberg, John Jorgensen - this will open a new world..!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medic2022
    Jimmy Bruno truly is the man. I've studied with him off and on for 2 years. He's a great teacher and amazing player!
    I used to go up to his house in Philly around 06/07 and take lessons with him and Pat Martino. Jimmy's no BS approach was very good for me to hear.

User Info Menu

Jim Hall.

User Info Menu

their playing.
    Grant Green.

User Info Menu

when I was a kid I was into all the shred stuff and was a pretty good sweep picker then as I got into jazz I had various great teachers who taught me the 'language' of jazz and I interpreted it using the tequnique I already had.
    I would suggest much the same approach for your son. If he already has the technique you don't need a teacher who will focus on that. Find a good teacher who understands jazz.

User Info Menu

First of all, am I the only one who thinks this is a joke?

Second of all, if that's your kid, it doesn't look like he wants to play jazz, or play it seriously. Just saying.
    Sweep picking is not the technique you seem to think it is. It's not the sole quality you should look for in a teacher. In fact, neither is speed. I was a much faster player than my old teacher and I still learned a lot from him. There's a difference between having speed, and having knowledge of what you're playing. Anyone can play a minor triad arpeggio over a whole tune. But most people who can do that can't take a song and get through the changes, and get through them well and with emotion. Get a teacher who can show that to your kid.