The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29
    Quote Originally Posted by jtizzle
    First of all, am I the only one who thinks this is a joke?

Second of all, if that's your kid, it doesn't look like he wants to play jazz, or play it seriously. Just saying.
    Sweep picking is not the technique you seem to think it is. It's not the sole quality you should look for in a teacher. In fact, neither is speed. I was a much faster player than my old teacher and I still learned a lot from him. There's a difference between having speed, and having knowledge of what you're playing. Anyone can play a minor triad arpeggio over a whole tune. But most people who can do that can't take a song and get through the changes, and get through them well and with emotion. Get a teacher who can show that to your kid.
    He already has lessons with a fantastic jazz musician (oregon jazz hof, oregon music hof), and he is progressing rapidly. However, at some point he will want to have a teacher help him with speed/sweep picking. One of the earlier suggestions was Morten F., and we are considering online Master Classes with him.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If there's one thing I know about sweeping, it's that you definitely do not need to spend money on a teacher for someone to learn how to do it. It's the kind of thing where you just practice it. It's basic stuff. It's easier than even playing scales. I still recommend you get someone who can teach him more musical stuff rather than just one technique.

User Info Menu

Morten'sstill a good pick, as he can sweep with the best of them but also still plays very tastefully.

Sweep picking is one ingredient. And it's like habanero peppers. Too much, and ain't nobody gonna want to eat it.

Some legit sweeps at 4:19 of this one.