The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Hi Everyone,

I've really been listening to Jimmy Raney's "Visits Paris" Vol 1 and Vol 2 and really like it. Jimmy Raney's playing just sounds great to me and draws me in and I find it inspiring.

What other cd's can you recommend? Are there any "essential" or "must have" cd's that I need to listen to?

thanks for any help.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My favourite Raney is on this Stan Getz album ...

Amazon.com: At Storyville Vol 1 & 2: Stan Getz: Music

User Info Menu

I recommend "Two Jims and Zoot", it's a great Album:

Guitarists Jimmy Raney and Jim Hall, both masterful unto themselves, team with tenor saxophonist Zoot Sims in a pianoless quintet on a recording made as one of the original CD's in the digital era from the Mobile Fidelity group. It's an energetic program (there's only one laid back tune, Hall's "All Across The City") of original boppish compositions or slightly Brazilian flavored musics that lend well to these great jazz players improvisational talents, especailly considering the strong rhythm section of bassist Steve Swallow and drummer Osie Johnson are also top notch. This rare recording, made in limited quantity, is one to search for and hold onto if you can find it. ~ Michael G. Nastos, All Music Guide

1.Hold Me 2:55
    2.A Primera Vez 4:19
    3.Presente de Natal 3:06
    4.Morning of the Carnival 4:34
    5.Este Seu Olhar 4:35
    6.Betaminus 3:18
    7.Move It 4:25
    8.All Across the City 4:48
    9.Coisa Mais Linda 4:20
    10.How About You?

* Jimmy Raney - Guitar
    * Jim Hall - Guitar
    * Zoot Sims - Tenor Sax Tenor
    * Steve Swallow - Bass
    * Osie Johnson - Drums

Recorded 1964

User Info Menu

I think the three CDs of duets with Doug Raney are essential.

"Guitar Moments"
    "Stolen Moments"
    "Nardis"

User Info Menu

I don't know his whole catalog, but I do like this one:

User Info Menu

I like the 'A' Album.

-Scott

User Info Menu

This was just released in March on CD. It's actually two of his records, The first eight tunes is "In Three Attitudes" and and the second eight is "Jimmy Raney Featuring Bob Brookmeyer":

Amazon.com: Jimmy Raney. In Three Attitudes. Featuring Bob Brookmeyer: Bob Brookmeyer, Al Cohn, John Williams, Hall Overton, Dick Katz, Hank Jone, Jimmy Raney, Red Mitchell, Whitey Mitchell, Teddy Kotick, Osie Johnson, Jack Edie: Music

Well worth it and +1 to all the other recommendations here. The Brookmeyer record has been out on it's own CD for quite a while but my copy of "In Three Attitudes" is vinyl; this is the first time I've seen it on CD.
    Last edited by paynow; 08-09-2011 at 08:10 AM.

User Info Menu

All good picks so far.

I really like all the stuff he did in the 80's on Criss Cross...Wisteria, The Master, Raney '81, the afforementioned But Beautiful.

I also really love a record simply titled Jimmy Raney featuring Bob Brookmeyer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    My favourite Raney is on this Stan Getz album ...

Amazon.com: At Storyville Vol 1 & 2: Stan Getz: Music
    I have several of these tunes on the original vinyl from the 1950s; "Parker", "Thou Swell", don't have it in front of me so I can't remember all of them. The playing is outstanding and frightening when you realize just how good it is. Did they clean up the sound quality on the CD?

User Info Menu

Mosaic records put out a box set of the complete Stan Getz/Jimmy Raney. It's great stuff. And I second the stuff he did with his son Doug, if you can find it. Find duo performances.
    David

User Info Menu

thank you for all of your replies. Those suggestions give me a good starting point.

I completely forgot about 'Stan Getz @ storyville vol 1 &2. I have that cd and always loved it but was just listening to Stan's playing.

User Info Menu

Jimmy Raney has always been at the top of my list of favorite jazz guitarists. I think I have almost everything released by him and also Doug. I don't have a favorite but I guess I listen a lot to "Wisteria" and "A".

wiz

User Info Menu

My Raney collection is a bit confusing because mostly it's from compelations and what not but I do have an old old album he did with Stan Getz, I know he did several and trust me... wow fantastic!!

He has a duet album with his boy Doug where he plays Ms Jones and probably one of the best bop guitar solos I've heard straight up, just really super happening. I had a student transcribe it all last year and I have it on the top of my pile of stuff to screw around with for next month.

The Play-along stuff he did where he plays the etudes and you can play with him are excellent, highly recommended bebop etudes!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jon S
    I completely forgot about 'Stan Getz @ storyville vol 1 &2. I have that cd and always loved it but was just listening to Stan's playing.

these are JR's most important recordings imho... just unbelievable what they came up with...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oneworld
    these are JR's most important recordings imho... just unbelievable what they came up with...
    I'll tell you, they FRIGHTEN me. I have a copy my Dad bought in the 50s and I think I listened to it about 1,000 times thinking "How the &&** did they do that?"

User Info Menu

Live in Tokyo is still my favorite and was recently re-issued. I would also recommend A as well as The Influence (if you can find it). Strings & Swings is another great album. The Quadromania set is an excellent introduction to Jimmy as it has a lot of the Stan Getz recordings along with the entire A album, Together! with Sonny Clark, and some early recordings with Phil Woods that are stellar. All the Steeplechase albums are good with But Beautiful being my favorite. I agree with the Bob Brookmeyer recommendation as well as the Nardis and Duets albums he made with Doug. The Date with Martial Solal is also wonderful.

User Info Menu

I picked this up, used, recently, for like $10--4 CD Jimmy Raney Collection, called "Woody Herman's Cool Guitar"j stuff from '49-'55 (apparently, it's import, but the European copyright laws have made the recordings readily available, as the copyrights on the original sound recordings have lapsed).

Amazon.com: Woody Herman's Cool Guitar Player: Jimmy Raney: Music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AleikhBaba
    I'm surprised no one mentioned his album Solo. Completely blew me away. He overdubs on top of his own playing, similar in methodology to what Bill Evans employs on his album Alone. His playing on that record is incredible, and it sounds really modern & futuristic in a way (in fact I feel that about his playing in general the more I listen to it).

Of course his recordings with Stan Getz are tops!
    I am not familiar with the album "solo". could you post a link to the info about it?

wiz

User Info Menu

Solo's tough to find, I think I spent like 30 bucks for a used copy on amazon marketplace...

It's a very cool record...reminds me a bit of the duo records he did with doug...except there's sometimes three guitars...and they're all Jimmy!

User Info Menu

After listening to quite a few sound clips on Amazon, I went ahead and ordered "Jimmy Raney featuring Bob Brookmeyer" and "Live in Tokyo 1976".

I also ordered Jim Hall's "Trio, the complete Jazz Guitar".

my ears are looking forward to it.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jeff, i will continue looking for it.

wiz

User Info Menu

Hi Everyone,

I've really been listening to Jimmy Raney's "Visits Paris" Vol 1 and Vol 2 and really like it. Jimmy Raney's playing just sounds great to me and draws me in and I find it inspiring.

What other cd's can you recommend? Are there any "essential" or "must have" cd's that I need to listen to?

thanks for any help.

Hello Jon S.

I have been interested in Jimmy Raney stuff. I have a great instructional book/CD set from him.

I can't find any audio samples from his CDs set in Paris. Can you tell me the format he used? Was it a trio? Quartet? Did he use a bass player and a drummer? Also, was it a live recording?

I love his playing, but I am not a fan of his double-tracked guitars on the "A" CD. I prefer just him, a bass player, and a drummer (and maybe a piano). No oboes, flutes, etc.. like some of those players used in the 50's.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Hi AlsoRan,

the paris cd's are entitled

"Jimmy Raney visits Paris vol.1" and
    "Jimmy Raney visits Paris vol.2"

I found them on amazon.com
    www.amazon.com

both of these were studio recordings done in 1954. Vol 1 was a quartet with piano, bass, and drums.
    Vol 2 has a different set of musicians with added trumpet and saxophone.

good stuff.

User Info Menu

Hi AlsoRan,

the paris cd's are entitled

"Jimmy Raney visits Paris vol.1" and
    "Jimmy Raney visits Paris vol.2"

I found them on amazon.com
    www.amazon.com

both of these were studio recordings done in 1954. Vol 1 was a quartet with piano, bass, and drums.
    Vol 2 has a different set of musicians with added trumpet and saxophone.

good stuff.
    I thank you! I had been curious about those 2 CDs. I will have to give them a try. (Sigh, more money on Jazz CDs....)