The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest album(s) wherein there is an ensemble (i.e. quartet) with a leader playing a wind instrument and the comping instrument is guitar, not piano. I recently heard a number where Barney Kessel was the sideman for a saxophonist (maybe Charlie Parker? but I honestly can't remember). I know there is the Benny Goodman/Charlie Christian collaboration, but I was thinking something more modern (bop or post-bop era). I was thinking that listening to a guitar player comp in this type of an ensemble would be a great way to pick up some comping pointers.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sonny rollins' "the bridge" comes to mind as one of the best (jim hall)

Also check out paul desmond's 70's band with ed bickert..."pure desmond" is a great one.

To go more modern, ben monder's stuff, paul motian's work...lotsa good stuff...as I think of more I'll post...

User Info Menu

Paul Desmond with Ed Bikert Live (in toronto) , Like Someone in love
    Paul Desmond with Jim Hall Volumes of this stuff, they recorded many albums, Mosaic collected them all at some point.
    Kurt Rosenwinkel and Mark Turner Any of the CDs they did together. The Remedy
    Donny McCaslin with Ben Monder Seen From Above
    Stan Getz with Jimmy Rainey they recorded for decades. All of it great. Check out the Mosaic box set
    Seamus Blake with Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Marcus Strickland with Lage Lund Twi Life
    Dewey Redmond, Mick Goodrick, Charlie Haden, Paul Motian
    David Binney with Bill Frisell Out of Airplanes
    Paul Motian Trio with Joe Lovano and Bill Frisell Any of dozens they did
    Kenny Wheeler, Lee Konitz with Bill Frisell Angel Song

these are a few of my favourites. I'm sure I'll think of more
    David
    Last edited by TH; 07-10-2011 at 09:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! Hours of exploration on the horizon. Keep 'em coming!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Paul Desmond with Ed Bikert Live (in toronto) ,
    an all time favourite, absolutely briliant.

User Info Menu

The suggestions above are world class. As for practice class, I've read that Mike Christiansen has re-done Volume I of Jamey Aeborsold's play-along series playing guitar where the original has piano. Could be useful.

User Info Menu

Add to the list:

These Rooms-- Jim Hall Trio with Tom Harrell

All of the Chet Baker stuff on Steeplechase with Doug Raney on guitar (also add CHet's Choice, with Philip Catherine)

John Abercrombie's newer quartet stuff with Mark Feldman

Grant Green backing Ike QUebec on "Blue and Sentimental"

Ed Bickert behind Frank Rosolino on "THinking of You" (seek this one out, some of the best Ed on record)

User Info Menu

I'd have to go with anything in a small group that includes: Jim Hall, Jimmy Raney, Ed Bickert or Doug Raney. Paul Desmonds' " Pure Desmond" is where I would probably start.

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 07-11-2011 at 11:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Mr. B -

You are a true fount of knowledge! Thanks for the latest suggestions. The Grant Green/Ike Quebec is great, and it led me to discover IKe Quebec with Kenny Burrell backing on Bossa Nova Soul Samba (RVG Remix edition). Thanks also for the Rosolino/Bickert find - a double album to boot!

Cheers!

The Original Ellington Suite - Chico Hamilton Quintet With Eric Dolphy

John Pisano is the guitarist, an amazing album all-around; has my personal favorite versions of "In A Sentimental Mood" and "It Don't Mean A Thing". Dolphy kills throughout the entire record.

User Info Menu

Glad I could help...soul samba's a killer record as well.

Be sure to check out ike's "it might as well be spring" as well...no guitar, but a great record by a saxman that deserves more recognition.

So I keep thinking on this topic...gotta check out the phillip catherine "moods" records...so good...and then he did one with tom. Harrell dedicated to chet baker too...also a great record.

Check out jim hall/art farmer's "big blues" too...that has vibes tooo, but you can really hear what jim is doing...hmmm...what else...? I'll keep thinking...

User Info Menu

ah! extrapolation gets my hamster back on the wheel....check out chico hamilton's early recordings with jim hall (boy he pops up a lot in this pianoless setting, eh?) And chico's "the man from Two worlds with gabor szabo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Paul Desmond with Jim Hall Volumes of this stuff, they recorded many albums, Mosaic collected them all at some point.
    Sweet! Downloading the box set from iTunes now (a little different from the Mosaic collection apparently).

My Jim Hall collection grows!

User Info Menu

Patriotic duty means I have to mention Louis Stewart; he has a bunch of quartet albums with 2 guitars (one of which is usually comping; the second guitarist is Heiner Frantz).

Des from Dublin

User Info Menu

yes any Art Farmer/Jim Hall recording or Jim Hall/Paul Desmond recording. Also there is an outstanding Joe Henderson side called So Near, So Far which Scofield plays on (all miles tunes) and Sco's comping is really great on that record.

Hunting down "Jim Hall school" players is going to be a great place to move forward with as most of them tend to really have worked a lot on their comping.

A few other great comping players are worth checking out like Mick Goodrick, Lorne Lofsky, John Stowell, Ed Bickert are all worth checking out.

User Info Menu

I like this one:

Attila Zoller - Guitar
    Saxophone [Alto] – Lee Konitz
    Trombone – Albert Mangelsdorff
    Double Bass – Barre Phillips
    Drums – Stu Martin

on "ZO-KO-MA"

Ah there's also a great ECM release by Bill Connors called Of Mist And Melting with Jan Garbarek, Gary Peacock, and Jack DeJohnette.