The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 118

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SammieWammie
    his feel is so spot on it's impossible to replicate, easy to copy what he's playing but not how he's playing it. Just can't get enough of him.
    It's the sound of space and the sound of listening. It doesn't come without practice and awareness. Listen and be aware even when you practice; you might find it's not so much a feel you can copy as much as a way you can play.
    The aforementioned duos with George Shearing and with Red Mitchell are also rich in that great sound. The trio Live in Toronto- you have to check that out.
    David

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm just starting to get into 'Intermodulation' with Hall and Bill Evans. Another great record!

User Info Menu

JimHall and Paul Desmond did it for me back in 1963 - what a wonderful year that was for Jazz Guitar fans!!

DaveG

Jim Hall Page

User Info Menu

I have nothing more to add, other that that I can't stay out of a Jim Hall thread! I have to jump in and give him a big

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by daveg
    JimHall and Paul Desmond did it for me back in 1963 - what a wonderful year that was for Jazz Guitar fans!!

DaveG

Jim Hall Page
    The albums with Desmond are among my favorites as well.

User Info Menu

Jim hall is one of those artists that becomes his own brand name, like Elvis Presley or Chet Atkins. It would be hard to mistake him for someone else even after as little as one or two measures.

User Info Menu

Commitment

User Info Menu

I've really been enjoying the album 'Complete Jazz Guitar' lately! Anyone else have and enjoy this one?

User Info Menu

Here's a very cool pic:
    Last edited by Dark Star; 03-04-2012 at 08:40 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by martinopass
    I've really been enjoying the album 'Complete Jazz Guitar' lately! Anyone else have and enjoy this one?
    I don't have it yet but will soon. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Synchro
    I don't have it yet but will soon. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
    Cool. I've been enjoying it.

For everyone's information, the 'Complete Jazz Guitar' album is the Jim Hall Trio's 1957 'Jazz Guitar' album, but in complete/unedited form.

Amazon.com: Trio: The Complete Jazz Guitar: Jim Hall: Music

Beautiful tone...anyone know if he used his ES175 on it?

User Info Menu

One of my favourites is the track 'If I Ever Would Leave You' off of the rare sequel to The Bridge, Rollin's What's New.

Also the albums he did with Desmond are probably my favourite, some of his solos are so good it's ridiculous.

They did the albums Take Ten, Bossa Antigua, Desmond Blue, Easy Living, First Place Again, Glad to Be Unhappy ... Even better if you can just find a copy of their complete quartet recordings.

User Info Menu

I love Jim's playing, he is just my favorite player. I love all his soloing and comping. I unfortunately got into Jim after he passed away. I have been looking for live bootlegs of Jim would anyone happen to know where to find those sorts of shows? Please let me know it would be greatly appreciated!

User Info Menu

You should check out some of the stuff he did with Art Farmer if you have not yet, I know this is an older thread. If you're looking for a good record check out To Sweden With Love by the Art Farmer Quartet

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by erhansen96
    I love Jim's playing, he is just my favorite player. I love all his soloing and comping. I unfortunately got into Jim after he passed away. I have been looking for live bootlegs of Jim would anyone happen to know where to find those sorts of shows? Please let me know it would be greatly appreciated!
    This live duo recording came out last year if you haven't heard it yet:

http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Haden-...=UTF8&sr=&qid=

User Info Menu

Jazz Impressions of Japan. It might be hard to find these days, I dunno. I got my copy as a free download when Jim's ArtistShare project fell behind schedule.

Jim Hall Appreciation Thread!-jim-hall-jazz-impressions-418727-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by erhansen96
    I don't know about bootlegs, but someone from this forum kindly tipped me to the concertvault website, and there's several live Jim Hall concerts on there. This search brought up a few other artists as well, but you can see Jim's listings at the top.

jim hall music and videos on Concert Vault

User Info Menu

Didn't all the unreleased stuff from 'Jim Hall Live' come out on iTunes a while back? I keep thinking about pulling the trigger on that lot. I think there's enough tracks to fill about 4 CDs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Didn't all the unreleased stuff from 'Jim Hall Live' come out on iTunes a while back? I keep thinking about pulling the trigger on that lot. I think there's enough tracks to fill about 4 CDs.
    YES!!!

Jim Hall Live vol 2-4. Soooooo goooooood. I had them all playing on loop for probably 2-3 months when I first bought them. So much great music. I have this deep desire to transcribe all 4 records. Ugh, too daunting to even think about. But a long term goal. I just love his ideas!

I did start transcribing How Deep is the Ocean off it though. Just so good.

User Info Menu

When I was an undergraduate in the 1970s, I had a professor in a small, social science class (3 students). The professor decided to have the class at his house so we could have wine and music. He played a lot of The Jimmy Giuffre 3--two or three records that featured Jim Hall. This got me to check out Chico Hamilton, then Jim Hall with Bill Evans' stuff, etc.

It began a lifetime of listening and absorbing Jim Hall's playing, style, tone, etc. I even went out and got an ES-175 as soon as I could (first buying an ES-125 to get in the ballpark).

Probably, no other guitarist has had as great an impact on me as Jim Hall. Appreciate? Boy, howdy! What one single thing did I take away from Hall, more than anything else? That's easy: the value of space. Before I listened to Hall I was a "gnat note" player, like all the other rockers of my generation...Alvin Lee or bust! Hall got me to stop and listen...to think about what I am playing. It really opened up another world for me.

Thanks, Mr. Hall.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons
    YES!!!

Jim Hall Live vol 2-4. Soooooo goooooood. I had them all playing on loop for probably 2-3 months when I first bought them. So much great music. I have this deep desire to transcribe all 4 records. Ugh, too daunting to even think about. But a long term goal. I just love his ideas!

I did start transcribing How Deep is the Ocean off it though. Just so good.
    Favorite album of all time. The only one even close is Vol. 1

scrapple from that record is obscene.

User Info Menu

I love the duo album he did with pat metheny

User Info Menu

Took a chance on Where Would I Be from a bargain cutout rack decades ago & took a chance. Was blown away by Hall's playing on the album and so began my love of jazz guitar. Amazing stuff.

User Info Menu