The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Is there any other players out there that would fit with these 3 guys?

I know there is no catagory for what I'm going for. I'm still curious to find other player that would fit into the same camp. Though they're not exactly the same, they all three go in and out of the Jazz and Country style while maintaining some of the most haunting sounds with their instruments. I'm just looking for other guys who sound the same. Well, to some degree.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Some Jakob Bro, perhaps. A bit of a stretch, but some of it fits...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    Some Jakob Bro, perhaps. A bit of a stretch, but some of it fits...

Thanks, I'll check more of his music out. I'm only familiar with a couple of clips that I watched on YouTube that actually featured Bill Frisell. I think the album is called Weightless. I loved that stuff. It was real mellow. Is all of his stuff that way?

User Info Menu

Check out Arild Anderson on bass. I'll try to find a link.
    Here you go I think it is one of the most stunning performances I've ever heard.

By the way my first Frissell Record was the Moulde Concert led by Arild, Buy it.
    Last edited by Billnc; 06-20-2011 at 10:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Billnc
    Check out Arild Anderson on bass. I'll try to find a link.
    Here you go I think it is one of the most stunning performances I've ever heard.

By the way my first Frissell Record was the Moulde Concert led by Arild, Buy it.
    Wow!
    That was beautiful! Thanks...
    I really enjoyed that.

User Info Menu

Tronzo.

User Info Menu

Robert Fripp, Tony Levin, Bill Bruford and Adrian Belew in King Crimson circ early 1980's, an unusual combination of different musicians and not jazz but interesting use of guitar and whacky time signatures.

User Info Menu

Ben Monder, Terje Rypdal would be my obvious choices. Not in a derivative way but both these guys came to their own place, a very unique place in a similar and parallel way, and with Terje, similar time frame that Bill did. They might be considered peers.
    David

User Info Menu

+1 on the Jakob Bro suggestion. He has a new quartet album out this month: JB, Bill Frisell, Lee Konitz and Thomas Morgan.

User Info Menu

Duke Levine

User Info Menu

Fred Frith.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ES125er
    Tronzo.
    Just in case, for the google-challenged: Tronzo | Gratis muziek, tourneedata, foto's, video's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    Duke Levine
    Beat me to it!!

=-) PJ

User Info Menu

Buddy Miller plays w/ Ribot and Frisell on his Majestic Silver Strings cd. He's a versatile player in his own right and they all sound great along w/ Greg Leisz on steel.

PJ

User Info Menu

David Torn hasn't been mentioned yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by octatonic
    David Torn hasn't been mentioned yet.
    Right! Yes, it was David Torn who took Bill's place in Jan Garbarek's band after Bill left. It was a tough chair to fill, can you imagine that job? Yeah, and speaking of guitarists in the Bill niche, Mick Goodrick was often first call along with Bill for many leaders including the late Paul Motian.
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Right! Yes, it was David Torn who took Bill's place in Jan Garbarek's band after Bill left. It was a tough chair to fill, can you imagine that job? Yeah, and speaking of guitarists in the Bill niche, Mick Goodrick was often first call along with Bill for many leaders including the late Paul Motian.
    David
    Goodrick subbed for Bill in Bass Desires and for Mike Stern in Mike Brecker's band. Wowza!!

PJ

Nels Cline is in a similar vein to Marc Ribot.

User Info Menu

Thanks to this thread I picked up a couple Jakob Bro discs. I am really diggin' his music!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by catfrighteningparty
    Nels Cline is in a similar vein to Marc Ribot.
    If anybody's still listening to this thread:

marc ribot and nels cline actually performed an purely improvised set in nyc at the poisson rouge last year:

ribot and David Hidalgo of los lobos have a really cool project called Border Music. two of my all time favorites coming together!

User Info Menu

Thread resurrection.

If you go back in time, there's several guys with this style, 2 of them being Jimmie Rivers and Jimmy Bryant- both were big influences on Campilogo. Both's music is very hard to find, I think itunes has one album of exclusively Jimmie Rivers stuff, and one album of Jimmy Bryant stuff- but it's with Speedy West, a steel guitar player.

The Bryant album to check out is "Country Cabin Jazz", altho you can't buy it anywhere.... I searched and found a free download of it online somehwere....

Just to give you an idea, here is "Deep Water", which is a Bryant composition on the "Country Cabin Jazz" record, played by Alex Farran.... this is the tune that made me go seek out Bryant (well, this and Campilongo talking about him, and his new band Honey Fingers playing "Bryant's Bounce"....

User Info Menu

It's not jazz, and the guy's voice is not strong, but I hear a little of Frisell and Ribot in this Fretboard Journal video of Blake Mills. He mentions Frisell at one point.

The video is an hour long, but for quick listen, check out Mills' playing on a Coodercaster at 5:15.

And he pulls out a sweet vintage Gibson Barney Kessell at 24:00 -- and gets some great tones out of it.

Something in the Americana groove, maybe?

User Info Menu

I think some Richard Thompson would fit in quite nicely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Encinitastubes
    I think some Richard Thompson would fit in quite nicely.
    Check this out

Richard Thompsons unmistakable strat solos.

The band is a collaboration of

John French
    Henry Kaiser
    Fred Frith
    Richard Thompson

The album is called 'Live, Love, Larf & Loaf'. There was a follow up album of out takes from the recording session which is average compared to the former.

this is the other extreme of the album just to give you an idea...

User Info Menu

This is an interesting record .....

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/musi...arc-ribot.html