The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 61

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I don't know what it is but I'm sure it's not a Strat, cool though!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Billnc
    Looks like a Strat body with a Tele neck with a humbucker. Probably feels pretty good. I've been playing a strat for about 5 years through a Polytone MBV, but just recently switched to a 335. The strat played well, like butter, actually, but I just couldn't get a fat enough tone out of it, even with cool rail humbuckers.

User Info Menu

The Strat is one of the most modular & adaptable guitars in the history of electric guitars. Strat body means Strat imo. It's rather strange that there is a bias against the Strat in certain jazz circles. Jazz is music, not gear. Play jazz on what ya got.

Cool vid!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stackabones
    The Strat is one of the most modular & adaptable guitars in the history of electric guitars. Strat body means Strat imo. It's rather strange that there is a bias against the Strat in certain jazz circles. Jazz is music, not gear. Play jazz on what ya got.
    Agree completely. Not only is the Strat the most easily customizable guitar, but it's also one of the most versatile guitars in it's stock configuration. With medium flat wounds, I find it easy to get a very good and sweet jazz tone with the neck PU due to it's placement right under the string node at "fret 24". If I could have only one guitar and had to cover many kinds of music, I'd choose a Strat (and block the whammy!). I also find the Strat very ergonomic and comfortable to hold. That's why I choose a Strat shape body when assembling a Warmoth guitar.

User Info Menu

I don't know if any of you remember this but Buddy Merrill who used to play with of all bands Lawrence Welk in the early 60's used a Sonic Blue maple neck Strat. If it was good enough for Welk, it's got to be good enough for jazz. That's why I bought myself one that looked just like it. O.K. so Buddy Merrill wasn't a jazz guy but I used to get some nice music out of that guitar. I sold it so I could get a custom shop Seafoam Green Strat and a 54 reissue Strat with their period style pickups. With .013 flats on them, they sounded smooth, warm and clear. It sounded less muddy than my 54 Les Paul Custom reissue. As I had mentioned in another thread, I sold them all so I wouldn't have to leave them behind during hurricane evac. Broke my heart too.

User Info Menu

Cool vid!
    Isn't there a jazz bias against solid body guitars in general?

PJ

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I'm a lefty and play a Strat (g&L really).....I don't have that many options with guitars, so it has to do. I would never consider myself a "real jazz guitarist" because I have too much respect for the music and what that really means.... but I do make some decent money with the Strat playing jazzed up surf punk in the Hamptons during the summer, so I need to have something that's versatile and this fits the bill for me. Also it's fun to slip in some Monk or some standards drenched in reverb and whammy bar shenanigans!!!

User Info Menu

Nir! He's awesome. Sorry to name drop, but we were both student teachers at NGSW in 2002. His career has taken off a bit more than mine

He was already really frikkin good back then (and playing the same mexican strat.) I didn't really play jazz at the time. We did a session together once, it probably was pretty frustrating for him...I was reading ATTYA out of the real book.

Edit: Also, Jake, cool that you've heard of him, as he's been more of a Boston/NYC guy. Playing with some big names now...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by P.J.

Isn't there a jazz bias against solid body guitars in general?

PJ
    I'd say mostly by "armchair quarterbacks."

I've brought a tele to many a jazz gig, and none of the good players I've encountered ever batted an eye.

i brought a red strat to a gig with Joe Byrd (Charlie's brother) and Joe drawled, "Dayum Jack, you look like bo diddley"...

So obviously, he wasn't feelin' it.

User Info Menu

See, I would have taken that as a compliment.

So when that trumpet player said "Hey look, Steve Cropper!" I shouldn't have been flattered?

User Info Menu

i brought a red strat to a gig with Joe Byrd (Charlie's brother) and Joe drawled, "Dayum Jack, you look like bo diddley"...

So obviously, he wasn't feelin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    See, I would have taken that as a compliment.

So when that trumpet player said "Hey look, Steve Cropper!" I shouldn't have been flattered?
    In Joe Byrd's case, he didn't mean it as a compliment. He meant, "don't bring a bo diddley axe to my gig".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Billnc
    Apparently it's a Squier Bullet ...

Dave Cliff - Guitar

Dave is a terrific player imo, always understated and tasteful.

User Info Menu

In Joe Byrd's case, he didn't mean it as a compliment. He meant, "don't bring a bo diddley axe to my gig".
    Now, what if you'd actually showed up with a rectangular Gretsch?

Oh well, I guess that debunks my theory anyway--there are good players with closed minded attitudes toward gear...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    Apparently it's a Squier Bullet ...

Dave Cliff - Guitar

Dave is a terrific player imo, always understated and tasteful.
    Bullet! Who needs a $5,000 dollar archtop when an entry level solidbody will do!

User Info Menu

Cool vid!
    I would really like to have a strat, tried one a while ago, very very nice sound. and, if you want to sound different from everyone else, (which is good) this is a good place to start.

User Info Menu

Yeah, geriatric jazzers HATE red guitars. You should've brought a sunburst.

User Info Menu

It ain't the guitar, its the guitarist. Ed Bickert managed to get the fattest tone out of a telecaster. I think anybody who thinks that only big bodied jazz boxes are the only things that can play jazz don't know too much about guitars.

User Info Menu

Lorne Lofsky a great Canadian guitarist based out of Toronto plays a strat-esque Ibanez (I think it's a Roadstar); and boy does it sound great

User Info Menu

These are some great examples you guys listed. The one I really like (although this is definitely leaning more into the fusion side of things) is Oz Noy. And Wayne Krantz is another, (but also outside the genre) not really a name that belongs on your list.

In a straight ahead jazz context, I think the strat sounds (as another forum member worded it in a previous thread) "scooped" compared to the level sound/ attack of a tele. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

User Info Menu

les paul (named after-well) classic antique...with light strings 10-46...neck pup - rolled back tone...pure mellow..a touch or reverb (2-3) lows have a snap so they are not muddy and soprano notes sing the melody clear as glass...tone it up a bit - add blues driver..and dirty blues-fat and greasy..or X-rated rock..

you can do rock with a jazz box but its rare-ted nugent plays a jazz box and rocks.. larry coryell plays a gibson super 400 and can rock you deaf...

play well

wolf

User Info Menu

I'm a big Lofsky fan, his record Bill, Please....enough said...., and I would kill to sound like him, let alone play like him. He's got those fancy humbucker pickups that fit in a single coil slot on his guitar...I forget what they are called.

I am pretty sure that Adam Rogers, (since Wayne Krantz was mentioned) plays a strat quite often, at least he did when I saw him a few months back.