The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 61 of 61

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richb
    The most important players might be Mehldau, Corea (still !), Potter, Ari Hoenig's bands, Metheny, Steve Coleman, Avishai Cohen, Wayne Krantz - there are many I am forgetting....
    to my ears David Binney is a key figure on this scene.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    to my ears David Binney is a key figure on this scene.
    Absolutely - my introduction to the whole NY scene was after I bought David Binney's South. I was completely blown away and then I just "followed the trail of the side-men" like most of us have done with Miles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richb
    The new style currently find expression in the Apple is like a jazzification of the old fusion style from the 70's. Back then the fusion had only a teeny bit of "jazz" in it, but the jazz coming from NY today has found a way to take the fusion and put it into more orthodox jazz and "jazzify" it. A blend of the old rock-influenced fusion w/ the "world" ECM style stuff, and blend that w/ more orthodox jazz and you have what we hear today...

The new jazz stuff is not at all concerned w/ being "pure" (thank goodness) and borrows from contemporary indie rock as much as from jazz...The most important players might be Mehldau, Corea (still !), Potter, Ari Hoenig's bands, Metheny, Steve Coleman, Avishai Cohen, Wayne Krantz - there are many I am forgetting....This style requires as much knowledge of world music as of jazz....particulalry in the rhythmic realm, where the biggest strides have been made

Hmmmmm....This all sounds like an over simplification of individual styles that have evolved and formed as a true evolutionary phenomenon. To lump these players into being "the new style", to me, is a gross generalization. They each have there own influences and criteria for making "jazz".

IMO, todays modern jazz is a natural musical blossoming that encompasses a plethora of genres, styles and influences, while still respecting jazz's past and it's language.

User Info Menu

Melody - My experience on the internetwürks so far indicates that the true meaning of "melody" is "plays shit I like".

That is an incorrect definition of "melody".

(Garzone's Triadic concept, octave displacement, various math-derived concepts) is working out well for him and getting him gigs.[/quote]

"math derived" confirms a lack of melody.

I alway draw a distinction between "lines" (no matter how hip, cool, bitchin', smoking) and melody. Nothing wrong with "lines", though I prefer melody, but there IS a distinct difference between lines vs melody, as in say Pat Martino & Joe Diorio as opposed to Jim Hall & Wes.
    Last edited by whiskey02; 05-23-2011 at 02:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    That is an incorrect definition of "melody".
    You missed my point. I'm saying that there are as many definitions for melody as there are people on the internet - and most of those people, when invoking the term "melodic", are really saying "sounds good to me", which of course is ridiculous.

"math derived" confirms a lack of melody.
    Really? That's a bold statement. You're throwing out a whole lot of material there.
    I alway draw a distinction between "lines" (no matter how hip, cool, bitchin', smoking) and melody. Nothing wrong with "lines", though I prefer melody, but there IS a distinct difference between lines vs melody, as in say Pat Martino & Joe Diorio as opposed to Jim Hall & Wes.
    I can agree to most of what you're saying here. I just have a hard time with the word "melody", as it's very ambiguous. But the distinction is certainly there in the players you posted - JH and Wes are certainly more lyrical and narrative in there playing.

User Info Menu

I play a strat, and I love it. I guess it depends on what tone/sound YOU like...sounds just fine to me I put 11's on mine though (strings) most ppl i know use 10's.

Mike Stern and a 1970's strat with Peavey amps!

Also, speaking of Lorne Lofsky I saw him with a trio almost 20 years ago in Toronto at the Top O' The Senator club. He was playing the Ibanez at the time. I forget what amp he had but he was amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit59
    You missed my point. I'm saying that there are as many definitions for melody as there are people on the internet - and most of those people, when invoking the term "melodic", are really saying "sounds good to me", which of course is ridiculous.

Really? That's a bold statement. You're throwing out a whole lot of material there.

I can agree to most of what you're saying here. I just have a hard time with the word "melody", as it's very ambiguous. But the distinction is certainly there in the players you posted - JH and Wes are certainly more lyrical and narrative in there playing.
    Hey Spirit59,

I think you and I have more in common than not.
    1) Yes, I did miss your point; I understand better now what you were saying.
    2) I'm neither above nor beneath making bold statements lol - it is the internet after all! But seriously, I'm not "throwing out" players who build off this type of material, and there are times when I really dig hearing it, but I never tire of "melody" because ...
    3) Melody is more lyrical and narrative than math derived lines. I failed to define what I consider the word melody or melodic to be, but you summed up exactly what I listen for in music and strive to put into my playing with those two words.

User Info Menu

So,we can say ,many people play Jazz on a Strat.
    One question about strings.
    Normaly I used 10´´ inch strings,but the most professional Jazzguitarmen,plays always with an inch more the 11'.
    at that moment I Have put on my strat rotosound strings ,inch 10´,but the sensation is more like 11 inch strings.
    What did they think are the best strings and what kind of inch to play Jazz with a strat?
    With the Dean Markley strings it is easier to play chords,but not so well for play melodies.Rotosound strings on a strat ,Makes really good Jazz sound.
    Anyone used software,s with his strat. I used my UX1 interface with Podfarm sofware?

User Info Menu

Since my archtop was busted for awhile I've used an ibanez rx for classic and new orleans jazz as well as more fusion and latin stuff. It's kind of like a strat but my friend gave it to me (it's got a whammy bar too!). I put on 13 or 14 Thomasticks and use a fender deluxe with a bit of amp distortion so it sounds a little like a fuzzy organ when you do volume swells. Without a little distortion the tone lacks character unlike with an archtop.

A lot of folks seem to use a tele instead of a strat but I definitely like playing a strat more.

In terms of software, I do want to make a L5S semi-hollowbody warmoth guitar with a midi piezo pickup but haven't done that yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Quendit
    So,we can say ,many people play Jazz on a Strat.
    One question about strings.
    Normaly I used 10´´ inch strings,but the most professional Jazzguitarmen,plays always with an inch more the 11'.
    at that moment I Have put on my strat rotosound strings ,inch 10´,but the sensation is more like 11 inch strings.
    What did they think are the best strings and what kind of inch to play Jazz with a strat?
    With the Dean Markley strings it is easier to play chords,but not so well for play melodies.Rotosound strings on a strat ,Makes really good Jazz sound.
    Anyone used software,s with his strat. I used my UX1 interface with Podfarm sofware?
    I like to go with at least .11's for jazz simply because it's at that gauge I can start to get a wound G.

Since chords are such an important part of jazz playing, I like the benefits of tone/intonation that a wound 3rd gives me. I leave the bending to the "blooze" guys.