The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 61

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sc06yl
    I am pretty sure that Adam Rogers, (since Wayne Krantz was mentioned) plays a strat quite often, at least he did when I saw him a few months back.
    Here's Adam tearing it up on a Strat ...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I play Jazz with a Strat.My opinion,it sounds very well.Important its the kind of strings.The same strat can soudn different in conection witrh the kinds of string you used.
    With Dean Markley strings,when I play my strat,sounds more like New age music. I preffer to use Rotosound strings.A strat with Rotosound strings and the humbucker in the two high position,sounds a strat playing Jazz very well.
    Another good think for a strat is that is the best ergonomic guitar for playing.
    A good day.
    Quendit from Spain
    I think that a strat sounds better for Jazz then for Blues.

User Info Menu

strings...Thomastic..
    anybody experiment with 14' strings and Strat?

User Info Menu

I just played a gig last night with my new custom shop deluxe strat. The guitar sounded great through a Roland jazz chorus that was in the club. I use 011's on the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    Here's Adam tearing it up on a Strat ...

no, no. the topic was jazz on a strat.

if you had heard that cold, and didnt know that it was a "jazz" guitar player, would you really call it jazz?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgreb
    Lorne Lofsky a great Canadian guitarist based out of Toronto plays a strat-esque Ibanez (I think it's a Roadstar); and boy does it sound great

yup it's a roadstar. Lorne is amazing, such a brilliant player... how many cats can sound like bill evans on guitar... not many and still maintain such a personal sound at the same time.

That guitar is really special I think, AND that TV program is also awesome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    Edit: Also, Jake, cool that you've heard of him, as he's been more of a Boston/NYC guy. Playing with some big names now...
    I was hipped to Nir a while ago when my nyc friends told me to keep my ear out for this guy. A friend of mine produced a record with him on it as a sideman recently which he sounds really great on. His time is really hip.

User Info Menu

Mordy Ferber gets a great jazz tone from a Strat.

User Info Menu

mordy sounds great... so does chris crocco...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oneworld
    ...so does chris crocco...
    Lots of technique, no doubt. Melody? Contour? Groove? Space?

Just my initial thoughts

Is that Giant Steps??

User Info Menu

Is that Giant Steps??
    can't hear it ?!?

OP was jazz on a strat...

User Info Menu

Lots of technique, no doubt. Melody? Contour? Groove? Space?

Just my initial thoughts

Is that Giant Steps??
    Technique - check.

Melody - My experience on the internetwürks so far indicates that the true meaning of "melody" is "plays shit I like".

Contour - All the lines he plays have a contour, maybe it's contours you don't care for?

Groove - I think he grooves pretty well, pretty modern feel, YMMV.

Space - Fairly uptempo Giant Steps here, I'm hearing more space here than on Coltrane's original, actually a *lot* more.

Yes, it's Giant Steps.

Keep in mind, this is a blowing session, they're having fun. Crocco is also the poster boy for this kind of playing right now, and showcasing this stuff (Garzone's Triadic concept, octave displacement, various math-derived concepts) is working out well for him and getting him gigs.

User Info Menu

Crocco's chordal stuff is very cool, but there's a "sameness" in those lines that gets a little tiresome for me.

Dude's got chops, and I know I'm old school, but I would have been happier with hearing some of those changes in "Steps" hit a little harder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oneworld
    can't hear it ?!?

OP was jazz on a strat...
    Threads tend to take new life every so often. I wanted to comment on his playing, as I had never heard of him before. Always excited to hear new players. Anyway...Nothing malicious intended, just my gut thoughts.

And yes I heard it... barely, as he is not outlining the chords a hell of a lot. Definitely playing outside. (not a bad thing)

User Info Menu

Yeah, admittedly, if you try and take GS changes too far out, the lines tend to get blurred really easily, and you lose the flavor. There was a guy over on another forum that was trying to champion all manner of "systems" to tackle GS changes and the problem was, he wasn't able to play the tune "straight", hence he couldn't really hear how to implement any of these systems. He also failed to understand that these systems worked better when used sparingly.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I guess my take is, "steps" has changes like a motherf-er. Admittedly, it's a "rite of passage" song (one I still can't play well) but to me, the impressive thing about it is nailing some of those changes.

Not that the sole purpose of music should be to impress. But your playing should speak for you, no matter what kind of guitar you play.

(How'd I do fellas? I'm trying to get the train back on the tracks here cuz I'm partially responsible for the derail)

User Info Menu

Thanks folks,
    Very cool thread.
    I'll have to drag the old Mexican Feender out for a bit now

Rob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    Apparently it's a Squier Bullet ...

Dave Cliff - Guitar

Dave is a terrific player imo, always understated and tasteful.
    ...and an awfully nice bloke. He did a guest session earlier this year at the Co-Op band that I attend. Very informative, very helpful. I ended up being the one that gave him a lift to the station. By then we were talking about stuff other than music - I figured he'd kind of done enough of that by then.

The guitar that he brought to the workshop was a Tanglewood that still sounded good in his hands. As someone keeps saying on here - jazz is music, not gear.

User Info Menu

And yes I heard it... barely, as he is not outlining the chords a hell of a lot. Definitely playing outside. (not a bad thing)
    well... he is outlining the chords... and i would not call it 'outside' playing either....
    but hey it's just my opinion... and i transcribed almost all of it.

but weren't we talking about playing jazz on a strat ?!?

User Info Menu

I wouldn't call it outside either...but it's just an outline, he's not hitting any of those changes too hard. Likely intentional, my ears just like a little more on a tune like "steps." But that's personal taste, not a slight on his playing.

But we were talking about jazz on a strat--hey! I tried to get us on track! Look away! Nothing to see here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit59
    Technique - check.

Melody - My experience on the internetwürks so far indicates that the true meaning of "melody" is "plays shit I like".

Contour - All the lines he plays have a contour, maybe it's contours you don't care for?

Groove - I think he grooves pretty well, pretty modern feel, YMMV.

Space - Fairly uptempo Giant Steps here, I'm hearing more space here than on Coltrane's original, actually a *lot* more.

Yes, it's Giant Steps.

Keep in mind, this is a blowing session, they're having fun. Crocco is also the poster boy for this kind of playing right now, and showcasing this stuff (Garzone's Triadic concept, octave displacement, various math-derived concepts) is working out well for him and getting him gigs.
    Melody - my feelings...flowing and coherent ideas connecting together to make a musical statement. I like lots of non-melodic guitarists, but prefer when a solo has melodic content. This sounds a bit overly technical and mechanical

Contour- It sounds a lot like the same concept and approach throughout....no hills and valleys, sudden drops, gentle slopes, tight angles etc etc.

Groove- yeah, it just doesn't create that internal groove thang for me. Not very organic.

Space- Always room for space. Always. And Trane's solo has enough to make me happy, even in amongst the sheets of sound (tons of contour, melody and groove too IMO). Crocco seems to employ stops, pauses and rhythmic displacements, which to me is different from musical space.

I'm going to listen to more of his stuff and see what else he does. I'm glad to be aware of him and this style.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richb
    Crocco is a phenomenon of sorts. His time is UNBELIEVABLE. His phrasing and feel is totally hornlike...a Phenomenon for sure....I've said it before elsewhere, but to me the new style in jazz gtr is being forged right now by Bryan Baker, Crocco, Nir, Wayne K, James M, Gilad, Lage, Sylvain, Veras....MONSTERS all.
    I agree with you on Hekselman, Lage, Sylvain and Veras.

Can't say I do with Baker, Crocco, Fedler and Muller.

User Info Menu

The main point is, Crocco gets great jazz tone from a strat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richb
    Crocco is a phenomenon of sorts. His time is UNBELIEVABLE. His phrasing and feel is totally hornlike...a Phenomenon for sure....I've said it before elsewhere, but to me the new style in jazz gtr is being forged right now by Bryan Baker, Crocco, Nir, Wayne K, James M, Gilad, Lage, Sylvain, Veras....MONSTERS all.
    very interesting. how would you characterize this new style, its roots and influences, and its contrast to earlier styles? what is driving it forward? does it have 1 or perhaps 2 most important players? do you think it has legs/ability to last?

User Info Menu

Interesting discussions in here, whether OT or not. Still following along.